Climate Project With Nasa To Proceed, Plodprasob Says

webfact

Climate project with Nasa to proceed, Plodprasob says

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said yesterday that the government would continue its cooperation on climate research with the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) after consulting with Parliament.

As a majority of parliamentarians agreed that the project was useful for the country's weather forecasting and disaster management, the minister said he would begin a new round of negotiations to reactivate the project.

Nasa cancelled the Southeast Asia Composition, Cloud, Climate Coupling Regional Study (SEAC4RS) in June as the Cabinet was not able to approve the project on time because of Thailand's internal political conflict.

The opposition Democrat Party raised concerns that the United States might use the scientific project as a pretext for a security operation to contain China's influence in Asia and the Pacific. The project, which would require use of facilities at U-tapao airbase, would bring Thailand into conflict with China, the opposition said.

The Democrats called on the government to bring the project proposal before Parliament for approval in accordance with Article 190 of the Constitution. However, the Cabinet decided to consult with Parliament in accordance with Article 176, saying the project had no economic or social implications.

Plodprasob said he had talked to Nasa about reactivating the project once Thailand was ready and the weather conditions over Thailand matched the research requirements.

The project is purely scientific and has nothing to do with petroleum resources in the Gulf of Thailand as alleged by the opposition, he said.

However, giant gas company Chevron is involved in the project, as Nasa needs to use one of its sea platforms as a research facility, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-06

YES the U.S.A. is interested in all the Intellectural patents and property rights all over the world, and the opposition was afraid the U.S.A. wouldsteal them or worse, make counterfeit copies and Sell them all over the world at a major discount leaving Thailand out of any percentage rights. They feared the ubiquitous installation of booths sellting stacks of The NASA weather research was just A FRONT FOR SURREPTITIOUS activitites.coffee1.gif

RUMOR has it the British, Canadian, and Australian governments a silent partners too with sub silent partners scattered thru out easten

Europe as well.

But the top undercover agents behind the scenes were the monitors on ThaiVisa who were in charge to insure no LEAKS.

Edited by jerrysteve
  • Like 1

The US covers the entire earth with their surveillance, nothing takes off or lands without them being aware of it. It's all about irritating China and setting themselves up for war with a strategically placed military base. How convenient that the US wants Thailand to join in promoting world peace and then all all the sudden Thailand has the perfect weather for study. I wonder how much the US paid and how much someone accepted to sell out the country. Thailand doesn't need war, this smells like a rat and I don't like it.

Yingluck announced her promotion for world peace a couple of weeks ago. NASA have been wanting to do these "weather studies" for a couple of years.

So your "all of the sudden" doesn't quite work.

Plodprasob said he had talked to Nasa about reactivating the project once Thailand was ready and the weather conditions over Thailand matched the research requirements.

The project is purely scientific and has nothing to do with petroleum resources in the Gulf of Thailand as alleged by the opposition, he said.

However, giant gas company Chevron is involved in the project, as Nasa needs to use one of its sea platforms as a research facility, he said.

So Chevron just happens to have an extra platform standing around doing nothing? How many others around the world do they have laying idle?

Or is NASA just going to use part of the space on a platform? Since when did they start building platforms with extra space that is not needed, just in case the US government wants to do weather research, or carry on some other project?

Something is not right with this.

But then Mr. Plod has checked it out so must be ok.

Intellectually challenged and gullible. Sure, that would be my choice for a science minister.

• Like 1

So Chevron just happens to have an extra platform standing around doing nothing? How many others around the world do they have laying idle?

Or is NASA just going to use part of the space on a platform? Since when did they start building platforms with extra space that is not needed, just in case the US government wants to do weather research, or carry on some other project?

Intellectually challenged and gullible. Sure, that would be my choice for a science minister.

Do you know how big these platforms are, plenty of room to mount a few instruments. They are not launching rockets or something.

The US covers the entire earth with their surveillance, nothing takes off or lands without them being aware of it. It's all about irritating China and setting themselves up for war with a strategically placed military base. How convenient that the US wants Thailand to join in promoting world peace and then all all the sudden Thailand has the perfect weather for study. I wonder how much the US paid and how much someone accepted to sell out the country. Thailand doesn't need war, this smells like a rat and I don't like it.

Just a conspiracy theory. The big bad Americans. Give me a break. In your opinion who will be next on your list of bad guys?

It's no secret the Americans have surveillance all over everyone's ass. So why do they need a 'weather' observation post in down town U-tapao? What - the technology already in place can't pick a few clouds? BS. The US tops the list of the greatest threat to world peace. No need to look further right now for the next 'bad guy'. And hardly a conspiracy theory, it's a known fact.

Edited by asiawatcher
  • Like 2

Thailand will benefit from NASA’s U-Tapao project: FM Surapong

image_201210061147103465FF19-D9DF-3AC6-AB47ED71CE691104.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 6 - Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul reaffirmed on Saturday that the country will benefit from the climate study project at U-tapao airport by NASA, while saying Thailand will lose advantage from politicalising the issue.

The foreign minister made his remarks in the premier's weekly televised programme "Yingluck's Government Meets People" this morning to clarify the request of the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) space agency to use U-tapao military airport in Rayong and Chon Buri as a springboard for climate studies.

Mr Surapong reiterated that NASA's request was initiated during the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration and that claims that the use of U-tapao naval base will affect Thailand's national security is distorted information.

The minister also dismissed allegations that granting the project permission will lead to possible conflict between world powers like China, India and the United States, and that it was done in exchange for granting a US entry visa for ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

"The U-tapao airport is situated in the middle of Southeast Asia, reasoned Mr Surapong. Thai scientists' capabilities will be promoted."

Mr Surapong noted that the NASA project has nothing to do with national security or the US military. He said it was climate studies and that other Southeast Asian countries, such as Singapore, Cambodia and Indonesia, also supported the project.

"Politicalising the issue make Thailand lose opportunities in science and technology development," stated the foreign minister.

Meanwhile, Science and Technology Minister Plodprasob Surasawadi reasserted that Thailand will gain advantages from the NASA studies on accurately calculating weather conditions in the atmosphere.

He said the project is crucial for rainfall calculation and weather forecasting and the use of U-tapao airport is not spying as worried, although NASA's ER-2 high-altitude aircraft, which had also been used as reconnaissance aircraft, will be used in the operations.

Mr Plodprasob said the ER2 has now been modified for scientific use only.

NASA called off the climate studies at U-tapao airport earlier this year after Thailand failed to approve the project.

The NASA project returned to the spotlight again during a parliamentary debate on Tuesday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-06

The USA most certainly doesn't need Thailand in order to conduct surveillance operations on China, Iran, or anyone else. I was just reading about tropical storm Gaemi, and it appears to me that the most reliable satellite images and data are coming from none other than NASA (TRMM and Aqua satellites) and the US Navy! Perhaps if NASA was able to build the desired weather station in Thailand we'd finally get some halfway accurate weather predictions for the area and would have more to consider than just the dribble that falls from Plodprasop's mouth every hour.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=79350&src=nhrss

http://www.sciencecodex.com/nasa_sees_very_strong_wind_shear_battering_tropical_storm_gaemi-99690

whether (weather) or not there's some spy stuff (which I don't believe there is) involved, the project should be approved. This is one of the rare cases where I agree with PT.

Thais are immersed up to their eyebrows in hocus pocus and need all the exposure to real science as they can get. Particularly younger generations. Even if just a handful of Thais are working with Nasa engineers, it will be a plus.

• Like 1

A LOT of tin foil hat knee-jerk reactions again.

Anybody who believes the US wants to provoke an open conflict with the PRC is not thinking clearly, to put it politely.

However, back on topic, as has been repeated many times, NASA has CANCELLED said project. I really fail to see the point in their discussion and approval.

This Plodprasob just keeps looking the fool with his statements.

Agreed, the project was cancelled.

Clearly it wasn't of such great importance in the first place due to the speed in which they were willing to cancel it.

Apparently a similar project is now taking place with the cooperation of Singapore and the Philippines?

Yeah right.

Next you'll be saying the Brits have sent in James Bond.

Before your conspiracy theories start getting out of hand, both main operators in the Gulf have dedicated weather stations in the gulf for monitoring and forecasting conditions, seeing as weather can affect offshore operations.

One assumes in this instance, one or both operators may have been approached to set up instrumentation at the offshore weather stations and maybe even provide some of their data, so sorry cant fuel your paranoia

Yeah they have done really well lately against small and primitive middle eastern states. Such clear cut victories. I am sure China would be a cake walk.

Why won't people read before opening their metaphoric mouths?

I specifically said

. the US can launch an attack anywhere it wants and providing they don't care about the political outcome, they are guaranteed a win every time.

So if the US were not bothered in the least about the political and diplomatic fallout the Middle East would be a piece of cake because they would be bombed back to the stone age without a US soldier setting foot on the ground. At the moment at least the US ARE bothered about consequences so it all gets a bit tricky and messy on the ground. That would not be the case with China, it would get very ugly very quick, which is why, like the cold war scenario we are unlikely to ever see anything like that occur.

• Like 2

While I do feel that the conspiracy mentioned so far theories are overdone, I suggest that any project supported by both Plodprasop & Surapong is highly suspect. I just cannot bring myself to be a supporter of two of the worst idiots (among many) in the government.

Note that there is no comment from NASA so is this not a case of 'propellors in the sky'?

You mean Plopadop intends to put the entire Thai airways fleet in the air at the same time to blow the clouds away and thereby reducing the impact of TS Gaemi on Thailand..?

Of course this will work...after all what is a jet engine but just a big desk fan...biggrin.png

Some of those 60+ hags at TG could blow away a meteorite shower. :rolleyes:

Obviously you have never flown on KLM...!

You mean the airline famous for 2 lips & cheese? :(

• Like 1

Yeah they have done really well lately against small and primitive middle eastern states. Such clear cut victories. I am sure China would be a cake walk.

Right.. The US was never successful in their goals...

Well arnt you just another commie