Farrang Alternatives

dantilley

Can anyone please tell me the alternative words for "Farrang" in southern and northern dialects?

I know "bak - sri - daa" in Isaan language, but I believe there are as couple more farrang alternatives in use in this country.

Thanks!

emm...if you mean Farang = caucasian , all thai call em just "farang ..even isaan ,northern ..etc

basically Buk -si-daa (local dialect)= gauva

and in thai gauva = farang (fruit)

in other meaning , farang = caucasian .... original word ="FIRANGI, PHIRANGI"

THEN Buksida = farang(caucasian), = Double Pun

if you want to play like "double pun"

all these words mean guava(farang)

Farang ฝรั่ง (central)

Si Daaสีดา/Buk si daa บักสีดา/Mak Si daa หมากสีดา (Isaan)

Goy Ga ก้อยกะ /Ma Mun มะมั่น (Northern)

Ya moo ยามู ย่าหมู่ (Southern)

Joompo จุ่มโป่ (Surathani)

Chompoo ชมพู่ (Pattani)

Ma Goy มะก้อย (Chaing mai)

Ma ga มะกา (Mae Hong Sorn)

Ma jean มะจีน (Tak)

Ma moo มะมู /Taypunya เตปันยา (Narathivas)

Ya ring ยะริง (Lava - Chaing mai)

Interesting. I've been called "Buk-si-daa" many times, I just thought it was a direct translation of "caucasian", I didn't realise that it was really a play on words and that the people saying it are in fact using this double pun...

Thanks for this insight Bambina...

A more formal word is ชาวต่างชาติ 'chaao dtàang châat' "person differ nation" = foreigner. In Northeastern Thai, this would be 'saao dtaang saat' (with slightly different tones than in Central Thai, too).

ชาวตะวันตก 'chaao dtawan dtok' (person sun fall/go down) is sometimes used to mean 'Westerner'.

In the south, it's just shortened (as everything else!) to 'rang. I've also heard - although this may be very local (i.e. limited to one group of friends) - particularly stupid farang called 'cashew nuts' in southern dialect, which causes great amusement.

I am happy to be called a Farang particularly after I heard this one

แขก it spells Khaak, it's not polite and means or a Dark-skinned visitor, particularly Indian or Arab

แขก (khaek) is quite a common word down south and it's used by Muslim people to refer to themselves, so it's not derogatory here (although it may be if a northern / central Thai is using it to refer to darker skinned people than themselves).

In the south, it's just shortened (as everything else!) to 'rang. I've also heard - although this may be very local (i.e. limited to one group of friends) - particularly stupid farang called 'cashew nuts' in southern dialect, which causes great amusement.

I am happy to be called a Farang particularly after I heard this one

แขก it spells Khaak, it's not polite and means or a Dark-skinned visitor, particularly Indian or Arab

แขก (khaek) is quite a common word down south and it's used by Muslim people to refer to themselves, so it's not derogatory here (although it may be if a northern / central Thai is using it to refer to darker skinned people than themselves).

well literally it means guest, so it is not in itself impolite. e.g. khaek rub chern - invited guests, that sort of thing.

However, Indians tend to find it themselves to be offensive, I suppose because some of them are 3rd generation Thai, and yet they are still only a 'guest'. So...best to refer to them as Kon India for not wanting to offend. Strangely in UK, (or not so strangely) you seem to refer to them as Asians, since some are Pakistani and some are Indian, and they do NOT like beinf referred to incorrectly at all.

khaek kao = middle easterner

khaek= indian

aharn khaek = Indian food

and so on