Sea Freight Uk To Bkk

ManOnTheRoad

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a pallet of used books from the UK for my personal book collection. I found a supplier and the price is very reasonable however the supplier contacted its shipping partner and they quote me GBP175 per pallet for shipping is this a fair rate ? I dont know much about it as this is my first order.

Do i need to hire a shipping agent in Bangkok to do clearance or i can get my Thai speaking staff to handle the receiving container at the port ? Is there any tax if yes what would it be for a used old books ?

Total Used Books : 1500 books

Destination : UK to Bangkok (SEA Freight)

Shipping Rate : GBP 175 Per Pallet

Estimated Duration : 30 days

Pallet : 122cm x 102cm x 92 cm

Sea Freight UK to BKK : GBP 175

Cheers

MOTR

Edited by ManOnTheRoad

Lot's variables in your question, normally a shipment is calculated by a formula of size/weight ratio & if a part load in a container.

Your price of 175GBP sounds kinda fair as books are normally very heavy, you can always get some other shipping quotes to verify if that is a normal price as you know the pallet size, can you get the weight of the order then you can just email details to the shipper who will give you an estimate.

As for import tax I'd say almost definitely yes you will be charged something, even when they are second hand goods for your own personal use as apposed to resale. As to how much depends on the officer handling your shipment.

You won't find any price lists hanging on the wall & if you show up at the office yourself to pick it up they will sting you as you are a "farang" if you can get Thai people to do all the haggling you will get off lightly.

Another tip is to get the delivery details/address etc in a Thai name so they don't see a "farang" name too.

(No good it having Mr Brown on the label you will become an instant target)

Let's get some things straight here.

Anything entering a country is subject to import duties. In Thailand and elsewhere.

The duty rate is not up to the customs officer but defined in the customs tariff. Thais pay the same amount of duties as foreigners.

You can clear the customs by yourself and I do know people who did that. All of them told me after that they would never ever do it again but rather pay for someone who can handle this professionally.

Question to the OP: do the 175 pounds refer to the sea freight only or does it include pick up at your door, customs procedures in the UK, port charges...?

sent from my Android phone

Let's get some things straight here.

Anything entering a country is subject to import duties. In Thailand and elsewhere.

The duty rate is not up to the customs officer but defined in the customs tariff. Thais pay the same amount of duties as foreigners.

You can clear the customs by yourself and I do know people who did that. All of them told me after that they would never ever do it again but rather pay for someone who can handle this professionally.

Question to the OP: do the 175 pounds refer to the sea freight only or does it include pick up at your door, customs procedures in the UK, port charges...?

sent from my Android phone

And most important: get all documents perfect and correct BEFORE shipping it.

All the shipping troubles come from having everything wrong and than the customs start to have doubts on it.

Books are often exempted, but best is to check the customs tariff first.

On the shipping will be some charges on the harbor.....

Most people don't know:

product cost+shipping cost get charged with the customs duty first (yes you pay duty on the shipping costs)

product cost+shipping cost+duty is your base for the VAT (yes you pay VAT from the customs duty).

That is everywhere the same system.

Customs agents who really know what they do are rare in Thailand but they do exist.