First Insurance Renewal..... Higher Quote?

karlos

This is the first time I will renew my insurance on a larger bike here in Thailand.

I'm used to the fact that insurance prices go down with experience, no claims and the age/value of the vehicle through it's life.

When i got my 2012 Ninja 650, i paid just over 13,000Baht for first class insurance. yesterday i received a renewal notice of 15,500Baht.... 2500Baht more for a bike that's a year old and i haven't made a claim....

I know it's a good idea to phone around but is this normally the case (higher premiums come renewal time) or have there been alot of inexperienced Thais crashing their CBR250s,Ninja250 etc, hence the hike in this year's premium??

This is the first time I will renew my insurance on a larger bike here in Thailand.

I'm used to the fact that insurance prices go down with experience, no claims and the age/value of the vehicle through it's life.

When i got my 2012 Ninja 650, i paid just over 13,000Baht for first class insurance. yesterday i received a renewal notice of 15,500Baht.... 2500Baht more for a bike that's a year old and i haven't made a claim....

I know it's a good idea to phone around but is this normally the case (higher premiums come renewal time) or have there been alot of inexperienced Thais crashing their CBR250s,Ninja250 etc, hence the hike in this year's premium??

Think yourself lucky my friend paid over 17,000 bht for his Ninja 250 from Kawasaki!!

Think yourself lucky my friend paid over 17,000 bht for his Ninja 250 from Kawasaki!!

I'm not 'lucky' I'm just not easily fooled ;)

I'm not 'lucky' I'm just not easily fooled ;)

Is it a question of being fooled! If your insurance has gone up you have 2 choices!!

This is the first time I will renew my insurance on a larger bike here in Thailand.<br />I'm used to the fact that insurance prices go down with experience, no claims and the age/value of the vehicle through it's life.<br />When i got my 2012 Ninja 650, i paid just over 13,000Baht for first class insurance. yesterday i received a renewal notice of 15,500Baht.... 2500Baht more for a bike that's a year old and i haven't made a claim....<br />I know it's a good idea to phone around but is this normally the case (higher premiums come renewal time) or have there been alot of inexperienced Thais crashing their CBR250s,Ninja250 etc, hence the hike in this year's premium??

You say inexperienced thais crashing their 250's!!! My 1st class Cbr insurance went down (from 6900b to 4800b)... :D

I think more likely inexperienced everyone crashing their 650's is more likely the reason. Ohhh as for the Ninja 250. Its soooooo much faster than the Cbr... explains the ridiculous 1st class insurance :lol:

sent from my ..................#

You say inexperienced thais crashing their 250's!!! My 1st class Cbr insurance went down (from 6900b to 4800b)... :DI think more likely inexperienced everyone crashing their 650's is more likely the reason. Ohhh as for the Ninja 250. Its soooooo much faster than the Cbr... explains the ridiculous 1st class insurance :lol:sent from my ..................#
Who is your insurance with, I am trying to find insurance for my CBR250, yes the Ninja is faster but the CBR is more enjoyable to drive!!

You say inexperienced thais crashing their 250's!!! My 1st class Cbr insurance went down (from 6900b to 4800b)... :DI think more likely inexperienced everyone crashing their 650's is more likely the reason. Ohhh as for the Ninja 250. Its soooooo much faster than the Cbr... explains the ridiculous 1st class insurance :lol:sent from my ..................#
Who is your insurance with, I am trying to find insurance for my CBR250, yes the Ninja is faster but the CBR is more enjoyable to drive!!

We are happy to quote for your CBR250 - and any other bike. Please go to : http://www.aainsure...._quote_form.php

Edited by AAInsuranceBrokers
  • Like 2

We are happy to quote for your CBR250 - and any other bike. Please go to : http://www.aainsure...._quote_form.php

Received a quote from you but just to much trouble to get insurance, pictures of this copies of that, much easier to find company in Phuket!!

Edited by dogpoo

What would a 2012 Ninja 650 cost to insure first class in the Ladkrabang area of Bangkok?? :)

Its with Siam Cosmos. They send someone out to take the pictures and do the paperwork. Never made a claim but impressed how they handle it.

• Like 1

Its with Siam Cosmos. They send someone out to take the pictures and do the paperwork. Never made a claim but impressed how they handle it.

Is this in Phuket? If so how do I get in contact with them

I'm not 'lucky' I'm just not easily fooled wink.png

Is it a question of being fooled! If your insurance has gone up you have 2 choices!!

As well as your 'friend'

• 1 month later...

I'll be fishing around for my new cover tomorrow and i'll update the thread with my quote.

I'm going to try to get an agreed value of somewhere between 240,000 - 268,000, the 180,000 valuation when i bought the bike brand new was an insult and i'm not using that company again.

Edited by karlos
  • Like 1

I'll be fishing around for my new cover tomorrow and i'll update the thread with my quote.

I'm going to try to get an agreed value of somewhere between 240,000 - 268,000, the 180,000 valuation when i bought the bike brand new was an insult and i'm not using that company again.

it is a piss take

ive been refused insurance in many companies and even told by some offices they dont insure bikes ,only cars (when i know other people that have it etc )

to replace my versys i need 290k

decent quality rack and luggage i added + 30k

upgrade tyres 14k

upgrade the shock to an ohlins 20-25k

xenon bulbs,spot lights and a few other bits and pieces

and ive probably dropped 400k on it

lockton refused to haggle with me ,180k if stolen or written off (actually 175k i think because there is a 5k excess per claim )

is quite crap but it was a choice of that or nothing so i paid them 16k for it in case i scratch someones lamborghini someday

filtering in bkk traffic

i will pay them 5k and they can re-spray it for him :D

When I had my ninja 250 i also could not find reasonable insurance. This was a couple of years ago. I just gave up and went with government only. That said i have the name of 2 companies that i will look for and post the info if i can find it...

Tried Muang Thai today, a forum member stated his BMW S1000 is covered by them for just 19,000k, fantastic!!

But when i called them i was eventually told, we don't insure big bikes........ Hmmmm, i think they just wanted shot of the farang who can't speak enough Thai.

I'll get my gf to call them tomorrow.

The best quote of the day was from my current insurance company Thai Sri, 14,200 baht first class and with 180,000 valuation..... That's 1300Baht cheaper than they printed on my renewal notice earlier this month but still not what i want to be paying for a 180,000baht valuation sad.png

I think i'm going to go for the government set up for a few weeks, just so i'm covered while searching for a decent insurance company and valuation

Edited by karlos

I was just contemplating *not* renewing my Lockton 1st class. They had sent me a renewal offer for the Versys (2 years no claim) for 9,700 Baht or so, but I didn't renew in time. Wanted to renew a month later and it had gone up to 11.xxx Baht. I demanded the original quote and got a Thai "No". A Thai no is when they say they'll look into it and call you back, BTW.

Still seems like the norm these days then? And yeah this is the one where they only give you 180k for a totaled Versys. Which is *lame*.

Well this is proving to be a right bloody headache!

a) 200,000baht cover but with a 30,000excess!!! = 170,000 cover......... No thanks

b)400,000baht cover but with a 10,000baht Excess and the price for such cover 24,000baht........ Might be worth paying it and making a profit if i was to crash the bike..... I really doubt they would give me 400,000baht for a 270,000baht bike...??

c)180,000baht cover with just a 5000baht excess and the premium costs 14,200baht. Now this one sounds good BUT it's with my current insurance company, when last year i insured the bike with them for 13,000baht. Now i have a year’s no-claims so I would logically expect the cost of the premium to remain the same or cost less.... I'm going to try and ask them to raise the cover from 180,000 - 220,000 for the same premium fee tomorrow, if they can do that for me then i'll take it, if not should i be stubborn and hold out for a better quote?? :S

Karl

Almost as much as AA was quoting his insurance as, for the CBR250.

The 1st Class premium depends on what the bike is insured for e.g. we can offer 100k Baht of cover for 12,238 Baht or 120k Baht of cover for 13,324 Baht - both include 900K of Bail Bond.

The last quote i mentioned above includes the following

Third party property damage 2,500,000

Third party bodily injury 10,000,000

Medical expenses 100,000 for the rider, the same for the pillion

Bail bond 2,200,000

But i want to get the my motorcycle's value up from 180,000 - somewhere close to 250,000

I managed to get a quote with a company that i can't pronounce to save my life, once the official paper work comes through I'll add the name of the company here.

First class

210,000baht of cover

6000baht excess

Premium cost; 13,400baht

This was the highest amount of cover i could get on the bike for a reasonable price.

The lowest quote I had (with a year's no claims) was 12,***baht but with a total loss of just 180,000baht....

So all in all I paid 400baht more compared to the first year I had the bike but I have an extra 30,000baht of cover should the bike get written-off, not too good but not too bad, either way I’m covered and that’s what matters most smile.png

P.S. I never knew I had to purchase ‘paraboar’ (spelling) When I went to pay for my tax, I was surprised to see a total bill of just over 800baht…. From my understanding and the woman’s English it covers 3rd parties should I hit anyone…. I thought such instances were covered by the First Class insurance??

I never had this, nor was it mentioned when I bought the bike a year back.. :S

Edited by karlos

I managed to get a quote with a company that i can't pronounce to save my life, once the official paper work comes through I'll add the name of the company here.

First class

210,000baht of cover

6000baht excess

Premium cost; 13,400baht

This was the highest amount of cover i could get on the bike for a reasonable price.

The lowest quote I had (with a year's no claims) was 12,***baht but with a total loss of just 180,000baht....

So all in all I paid 400baht more compared to the first year I had the bike but I have an extra 30,000baht of cover should the bike get written-off, not too good but not too bad, either way I’m covered and that’s what matters most smile.png

P.S. I never knew I had to purchase ‘paraboar’ (spelling) When I went to pay for my tax, I was surprised to see a total bill of just over 800baht…. From my understanding and the woman’s English it covers 3rd parties should I hit anyone…. I thought such instances were covered by the First Class insurance??

i learned that one the hard way too

i tried to buy tax without buying the compulsary 3rd party insurance policy

tryed to tell them i already had 1st class insurance but they wouldnt sell me

tax without buying another policy which covers virtually nothing ( por ror bor )

First class

210,000baht of cover

6000baht excess

Premium cost; 13,400baht

tax without buying another policy which covers virtually nothing ( por ror bor )

Is it required by law considering i have 1st class insurance?

First class

210,000baht of cover

6000baht excess

Premium cost; 13,400baht

yes

• Like 1

First class

210,000baht of cover

6000baht excess

Premium cost; 13,400baht

yes

good good, at least the nice lady wasn't ripping me off, it’s the government once again biggrin.png

My girlfriend tried to explain that this 'por ror bor' is a tax for the privilege of riding, a direct payment to the government for the honor of riding on these picturesque roads of Bangkok.

Edited by karlos