Thai Army Chief Bars Soldiers Joining Any Political Rally

webfact

Although soldiers have the civil right to take part in a political rally, it is considered a violation of military discipline and their superiors' orders if they join political events.

Which one is it then?

Read!

Any person has the CIVIL right to take part in a politial rally, also a soldier.

However, being a soldier, there are other rules and laws governing your behaviour, in or out of uniform.

Hence why it is considred a breach of military discipline AND orders from a superior.

Yes...what about off-duty soldiers? No political rights?

From the good old us of a

Do’s (Service members):

- Service members may join a political party; display a political sticker, sign or button; and vote.

- Service members may attend political rallies as a spectator, provided they are not in uniform, and may make financial contributions to candidates who are not employees of the U.S.

Don’t's (Service members):

- Service members are prohibited, by law, from using official titles when participating in permitted political activities, and from soliciting or receiving volunteer services from a subordinate, soliciting or receiving political contributions, participating in partisan political management, campaigns or conventions (unless attending as a spectator not in uniform) or running for partisan office.

As there are a number of restrictions on the activities of military personnel and the rules are not always clear, the most prudent course of action is to ask before engaging in any political activity.

http://armylive.dodlive.mil/index.php/2012/01/know-the-facts-election-2012/

It's like my work telling me I can join a rally. It's my right and it's not illegal. But at the same time, if you do join a rally, you will be fired.

There are many things in society that you can legally do but can get you fired from your job.

Like getting hammered and coming to work the next day being barely able to function? That I understand.

Joining a peaceful rally outside of work without uniform to support your political party? I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying it should be made clear as to what you can and can't do outside of work that is legal for civilians. And when you do explain, be very clear.

Take orders from your superiors on how you are allowed to legally show your support for your political party? What if one of your superiors is vehemently red or yelllow? Might the orders become biased? Maybe just have one absolute top dog in the army that decides all? Like Saddam Hussein or mad dog Gaddafi.

Odd that the reporter did not mention that the Army General is cracking down.

Is this a crack down? If this is not a crack down then what is it? Is it nepotism? Why does the Army get to crack down on the citizenry, and when they slap the wrists of their own rank and file it is not called a crack down?

Was the reporter told to refrain from using the term crack down in his report? Did he get a phone call in the middle of the night? Did he have an imposing and threatening stranger approach him and whisper words of fear and danger into his ear? This is outrageous. This is stupendous. Someone should be getting a tellephone call and be getting told to do something about this.

I want this to be called a crack down, damnit!!! It's not bloody FAIR! We live in the hub of crack downs.

Oh bother!