Questions About Renting In Thailand, Chiang Mai.

We are moving to Thailand at the end of the month and plan to go to school for a while there.

We are going to spend the first month looking around and getting a hang of Chiang Mai first

but we want to eventually get an apartment near downtown preferably on the west side.

We would like a 2 bedroom or a large flat so I have room for a mini art studio of my own.

We would like to spend no more than 14000 Baht per month. Is this a ridiculous expectation?

I have no problem with having less than that but after looking at a few sites it seems that most of the

apartments are all for tourists so they are already furnished and there aren't many good sites that I can understand YET

so I figured I'd ask.

Also what is normally needed from a tenant before renting?

IE. Passport, Work Permit, Visa, how long of a commitment is usual?

I figured I'd ask now so we know for the future,

thank you in moderation for the help!

You shouldn't have much trouble finding what you want in that price range Don't put too much stock in the websites - they're pretty crappy in my experience, possibly a bit better if you read Thai fluently. What I did was stay in guest houses for the first month or so while I walked around areas to find where I wanted to live, and just go in to likely looking buildings and ask: there are often notices up in the lobby, or simpler places that rent unfurnished will be able to tell you what they offer in the office and show you a room. CM City Life magazine has a good classifieds section that is also very useful. I'd only say don't be in too much of a hurry - allowing a month to find a place you really like is well worth it: deals available vary week to week and you'll be staying there a while. Check out things like how noisy it is at night.

You can rent on a tourist visa, only paperwork needed is a passport copy and deposit up front (2 months is common). Usual commitment is 1yr, but 6mth and even 3mth leases are available, only the price tends to go up as the lease gets shorter. There are even some decent serviced apartment style deals that you can rent monthly, which might be better than a guest house if you want to have your own bathroom and a fridge for the initial period.

You can rent on a tourist visa, only paperwork needed is a passport copy and deposit up front (2 months is common). Usual commitment is 1yr, but 6mth and even 3mth leases are available, only the price tends to go up as the lease gets shorter.

You dont need any sort of visa to rent.

I pay only one month deposit on a one-year rental and would be unwilling to pay more, due to the fact that many landlords consider the deposit to be forfeited from day one, making it effectively part of the rent.

There are no fixed requirements for duration either. It's all down to negotiation (as is the price). A week, a month, a year, 57 days, 8 months, whatever. Anything goes.

You can rent on a tourist visa, only paperwork needed is a passport copy and deposit up front (2 months is common). Usual commitment is 1yr, but 6mth and even 3mth leases are available, only the price tends to go up as the lease gets shorter.

I pay only one month deposit on a one-year rental and would be unwilling to pay more, due to the fact that many landlords consider the deposit to be forfeited from day one, making it effectively part of the rent.

There are no fixed requirements for duration either. It's all down to negotiation (as is the price). A week, a month, a year, 57 days, 8 months, whatever. Anything goes.

There was a poll on TV a while back asking about deposits and around 905% of people said they got their deposits back. I've got mine back on the last two places I live. So the fact is that is returned in full nearly every time. Maybe the times it isn't is because there has been some damage. If you have a contract there is no way that they can legally keep the money and claim it's part of the rent. Personally I don't know a single person who didn't get the deposit back.

Never mind the websites, they are mainly for gullible falangs who want it all served up on a spoon. Photos lie also, especially real estate pics. Stay in a GH and move around, find a convenient area you like and zero in. 14K is plenty in CM, in general CM is not expensive compared to Phuket or Hua Hin.

Edited by johnnyk
  • Like 1

There was a poll on TV a while back asking about deposits and around 905% of people said they got their deposits back.

905% sounds exactly like the sort of statistic one would expect from a ThaiVisa poll, I agree. thumbsup.gif

If you have a contract there is no way that they can legally keep the money and claim it's part of the rent.

I didn't say "claim it was part of the rent" I said "consider it as part of the rent". There is a difference.

Having a contract does not in itself prevent the owner from claiming that huge and expensive damage has been done and that the deposit will be withheld to cover it. There is a thread running here about a large deposit lost to a scratch on the floor in a rental unit at the moment, and other such threads are common.

Hi

I have got a studio condo downtown for rent at 12,000 baht per month. It is on Huay Kaew road and near Chiang Mai University. Only 5 minutes drive to walking street market and 5 minutes drive to the University. I am happy to show you around when you get here. Also, while you are still looking for a place to rent, I have a guesthouse that you can stay if you are interested. Our guesthouse is in Nimmanhaemin road and in a very convenient location. Feel free to contact us for more information on anything.

Ami

I have a 4 bedroom condo for 11.000 baht a month in Bangkok. Chiangmai should be no more than that, unless you have marble floors and golden faucets. A nice studio you can get starting from 3000 a month.

As is true for any place where you are going to live a longer term it is wise to stay at least one month and have a good look around. And don't go rent something the first week of that month. Patience has its rewards, and be particularly cautious with what kind of people occupy the building and its surroundings.

If you see something you like, go there a few times a day to see how it is like during different hours.

You don't want to end up in some overly noisy neighborhood or even worse having bad neighbors.

For your budget you can also consider a house, you would have the benefit of a garden, your owning parking and some more privacy. And usual lots more space.

I have a 4 bedroom condo for 11.000 baht a month in Bangkok. Chiangmai should be no more than that, unless you have marble floors and golden faucets. A nice studio you can get starting from 3000 a month.

As is true for any place where you are going to live a longer term it is wise to stay at least one month and have a good look around. And don't go rent something the first week of that month. Patience has its rewards, and be particularly cautious with what kind of people occupy the building and its surroundings.

If you see something you like, go there a few times a day to see how it is like during different hours.

You don't want to end up in some overly noisy neighborhood or even worse having bad neighbors.

For your budget you can also consider a house, you would have the benefit of a garden, your owning parking and some more privacy. And usual lots more space.

Your quoted prices seem unrealistic.

4 bedroom condo really? Must be terrible location and or rather shabby.

2500 - 3000 bht is what a Thai would pay for a dormitory block type room in Chiangmai; 3 by 4 or 5meters with very basic ensuit, fridge, tv, bed but no cooking facilities. No lift.

I've started a topic in CM local forum asking what rents people are currently paying- should be interesting to see/ take an average. There are always some farang who get off on claiming they pay half the going rate; same as plenty Thais who like to claim their house build cost well over; just different ways to show off.

Edited by mccw
  • Like 1

2500 - 3000 bht is what a Thai would pay for a dormitory block type room in Chiangmai; 3 by 4 or 5meters with very basic ensuit, fridge, tv, bed but no cooking facilities. No lift.

I've started a topic in CM local forum asking what rents people are currently paying- should be interesting to see/ take an average. There are always some farang who get off on claiming they pay half the going rate; same as plenty Thais who like to claim their house build cost well over; just different ways to show off.

It seems you base your knowledge on what is available on websites and what most foreigners pay. Instead of showing off i just offer another sample of what is available that is mostly unknown to people who don't have enough time. Before i had a 100m2 'condo' on the top two floors of a shophouse. On sukhumvit opposite california wow fitness. That was only 3000 a month. Most of the top floors are completely empty and unused. Did you ever go into around 50-60 of them and asked if the top floors where available? I guess not, but that is what it takes to find good deals.

Also getting out of the tourist hotspots (2-5km) and prices go down drastically.

Nothing shabby about our condo, most visitors mouth drop when they hear what we pay, it is 700m from a bts station, 17 year old. Even has a swimmingpool and fitness room.

You surely won't find things like that in a month, but after renting for more than 10 year, from a 4000 baht bungalow 2 bedroom with a garden and right on the beach (10m) (also not shabby, about 2 year old) in Samui to many different houses and condos in Huahin, Bangkok, etc i have come to the conclusion that what you see on websites is in reality only 25% of the available properties. Those 25% are of course in very visible and easy to find locations (hotspots).

Without a lot of footwork, driving around and talking to a lot of locals you would never find the other 75%. They often have no for rent signs, so wothout asking you never know.

The 2000-3000 is good for a nice studio. Cooking on gas is not allowed but cooking on electricity is perfectly ok. A small kitchen unit is not that expensive, maybe around 15000.

It seems you base your knowledge on what is available on websites and what most foreigners pay. Instead of showing off i just offer another sample of what is available that is mostly unknown to people who don't have enough time. Before i had a 100m2 'condo' on the top two floors of a shophouse. On sukhumvit opposite california wow fitness. That was only 3000 a month. Most of the top floors are completely empty and unused. Did you ever go into around 50-60 of them and asked if the top floors where available? I guess not, but that is what it takes to find good deals.

Also getting out of the tourist hotspots (2-5km) and prices go down drastically.

Nothing shabby about our condo, most visitors mouth drop when they hear what we pay, it is 700m from a bts station, 17 year old. Even has a swimmingpool and fitness room.

You surely won't find things like that in a month, but after renting for more than 10 year, from a 4000 baht bungalow 2 bedroom with a garden and right on the beach (10m) (also not shabby, about 2 year old) in Samui to many different houses and condos in Huahin, Bangkok, etc i have come to the conclusion that what you see on websites is in reality only 25% of the available properties. Those 25% are of course in very visible and easy to find locations (hotspots).

Without a lot of footwork, driving around and talking to a lot of locals you would never find the other 75%. They often have no for rent signs, so wothout asking you never know.

The 2000-3000 is good for a nice studio. Cooking on gas is not allowed but cooking on electricity is perfectly ok. A small kitchen unit is not that expensive, maybe around 15000.

I concede that good deals can be found with time and leg work + a good amount of Thai language and social skills too probably; but for the purpose of the OPs question it's quite unrealistic expect to arrive and start with the base idea to find a studio at 3000bht pm , especially after you now admit that involves buying and fitting your own kitchen. So it's not a studio at all, it's an ensuit basic small room your talking about actually. But anyhow; Asking about the upper floors of shop houses is good idea if looking to stay longer, a couple of years+ , term and don't mind to spend a bit, collect ones own furniture. Ok if settling down but not really suitable for a shorter study trip destined to go home either.

I'm glad I questioned your first post because its true your second did actually contain decent information that can be useful for many.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't have much trouble finding what you want in that price range Don't put too much stock in the websites - they're pretty crappy in my experience, possibly a bit better if you read Thai fluently. What I did was stay in guest houses for the first month or so while I walked around areas to find where I wanted to live, and just go in to likely looking buildings and ask: there are often notices up in the lobby, or simpler places that rent unfurnished will be able to tell you what they offer in the office and show you a room. CM City Life magazine has a good classifieds section that is also very useful. I'd only say don't be in too much of a hurry - allowing a month to find a place you really like is well worth it: deals available vary week to week and you'll be staying there a while. Check out things like how noisy it is at night.

You can rent on a tourist visa, only paperwork needed is a passport copy and deposit up front (2 months is common). Usual commitment is 1yr, but 6mth and even 3mth leases are available, only the price tends to go up as the lease gets shorter. There are even some decent serviced apartment style deals that you can rent monthly, which might be better than a guest house if you want to have your own bathroom and a fridge for the initial period.

Thank you so much. That was very helpful. We have begun to learn Thai but have a long ways til the reading stages. We do plan on waiting a month to commit to something. I have been looking a lot on the sites, I'm glad to hear there are better options, I assumed there would be considering it was targeting only farangs. Thanks again!

There was a poll on TV a while back asking about deposits and around 905% of people said they got their deposits back. I've got mine back on the last two places I live. So the fact is that is returned in full nearly every time. Maybe the times it isn't is because there has been some damage. If you have a contract there is no way that they can legally keep the money and claim it's part of the rent. Personally I don't know a single person who didn't get the deposit back.

Okay, good to know. Is it advised to take pictures of the place at the point of moving in? From the sounds of your post it seems like that's not something we would need to do, but I have read a couple posts that say they have been scammed by their landlords.

Never mind the websites, they are mainly for gullible falangs who want it all served up on a spoon. Photos lie also, especially real estate pics. Stay in a GH and move around, find a convenient area you like and zero in. 14K is plenty in CM, in general CM is not expensive compared to Phuket or Hua Hin.

That's great news, perhaps we can lower our budget for living! We don't need anything fancy. A guest house seems to be the way to go. Thank you for the knowledge!

Thank you very much, I will be sure to have patience in the search. I'm sure we will take a month or more to find a perfect place. I am thinking we will even look for a cheaper place since we don't need too much space. I would like to live downtown or near downtown, so that will be our biggest obstacle in terms of noise, we will have to find a good area. Thank you for your help!

wherever you look don't look at Chiang Mai properties in my opinion.

My view of Chiang Mai properties.

I would not touch this company with a barge pole! I have made the mistake of trying to use them twice, the first time to sell a property and the second to buy. The first time it took them over 3 months to get my house advertised for sale on the net by which time I had actually sold it myself and the second time it took 4 emails, 2 telephone calls and 3 weeks just to get a viewing on a condo. When I finally did get to see it after an agent turned up 1 and a half hours late and made an offer which was accepted I was told a pack of lies about ownership papers coming the following week and that I would be called back to finish the deal. The week came and went so I called back to be told we have sold it to someone else!! The long and the short of it is if you are looking for property in Chiang Mai I would carry on looking elsewhere!!

14k will get you an apartment in west CM.. But depends on your required fit and finish quality levels and space required for the studio part..

Spacious, well appointed, places with western fixtures and fittings rise in price rapidly, some people can make this trade off easily, and are often the ones claiming anyone is mad to pay xxxx for an apartment.. Others like a place thats well fitted out, and I find those are few and far between. The price ranges are quite far apart. Its not hard to find a bunglow for 5 - 8k, its also easy to find a similar sized one for 30 - 40k... All in the finish, furniture standard, quality (or lack of it) in gardens and spaces. etc.