Strawberry Season Already

Tywais

Was surprised when I came home to find these on the counter that my wife bought for me. She said she got them at Wororat and expensive. Decided I was better off not telling her how anemic they were and thanking her instead. biggrin.png

Perhaps we can keep this topic going for reports of proper CM strawberries and quality/price. I know in the past some members say there are no proper strawberries in Thailand and I won't entirely disagree, but let's see what is going on this year. Of course the best area for quality and prices has usually been the Samoeng ring road from Mae Rim. I realize it is a trivial topic but I do like my strawberries and ice cream and can only indulge a couple of months a year. wink.png

post-566-0-97805100-1352394418_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry but I find the strawberries here in Chiang Mai expensive and not that tasty.

On the positive side I have been told they have the lowest sugar content of any fruit.

Including limes, cucumbers and chilies? Anyway if you find the right ones at the right time then they're dirt cheap (cheaper than pretty much any other fruit by the kilo) and really quite sweet and tasty. Keep looking. (best ones to arrive later in the cool season)

Speaking of fruit, Pomegranates seem to be improving, and are quite sweet and tasty these days. Also fun to freeze into miniature icecream-lets. ;) (The fruit is resurging thanks largely to the popular phone & tablet game Fruit Ninja where it plays an important role.)

Speaking of fruit, Pomegranates seem to be improving, and are quite sweet and tasty these days. Also fun to freeze into miniature icecream-lets. wink.png (The fruit is resurging thanks largely to the popular phone & tablet game Fruit Ninja where it plays an important role.)

Pomegranates are loaded with nutrition and are particularly abundant in vitamin C, potassium, & pantothenic acid (B5). Pomegranate is rich in anti-oxidant phytonutrient polyphenols such as tannins & flavonoids. The most abundant polyphenols in pomegranates are ellagitannins, punicalagins, catechins, gallocatechins, and anthocyanins. These nutrients have incredible free-radical scavenging effects that are just now being studied by scientists.

The antioxidant capacity (ORAC) of pomegranate is 2,860 units per 100 grams making it one of nature's richest sources of free-radical scavenging anti-oxidants. This potent defense against oxidative stress makes pomegranate a powerful tool for preventing degenerative and inflammatory based diseases like cancer, heart disease, & arthritis.

In 2008, the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry ranked Pomegranate Juice as healthiest of all fruit juices.

Due to the high sugar content of fruit juices it is always advisable to either eat the entire fruit or drink just small quantities of the juice. The fruit itself contains a high content of fiber that slows down the release of the fruit sugars into the bloodstream. The rich array of anti-oxidants is also in its most pure form within the covering of a freshly ripened pomegranate. The juice does have many beneficial factors and due to pomegranates incredible anti-oxidant potency a 1-2 oz shot can be of significant benefit for those who react well to it.

Edited by Joop50
  • Like 1

Personally I don't like the Thai strawberries. But there seem to be "organic" strawberries in the region too, maybe they are better?

http://www.naturalnews.com/036515_diabetes_strawberries_prevention.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/036575_strawberries_diabetes_heart_disease.html

Edited by Joop50

Personally I don't like the Thai strawberries. But there seem to be "organic" strawberries in the region too, maybe they are better?

http://www.naturalne...prevention.html

http://www.naturalne...rt_disease.html

Strawberries are very difficult to grow organically, but we try because they are one of the most pesticide-laden fruits on the market. Mulberries are a much better alternative here IMO.

Sorry but I find the strawberries here in Chiang Mai expensive and not that tasty.

On the positive side I have been told they have the lowest sugar content of any fruit.

Have to agree.The thai strawberries are hard and just dont taste like strawberries should.

In Tops yesterday they had Australian strawberry's at 90 baht a punnet of about 20 fruits. Very dark red and not bad at all.

I cut them in half,sprinkle with some brown sugar and leave them for a couple of hours and eat with some plain yogurt

Last year, I tried Thai strawberries again for the first time in many years. It was near the end of the season, but they were much improved from the last time that I had tried them. They were not as good as back home, but still pretty good compared to paying import prices for strawberries that are usually not any better. I am actually looking forward to local berries this year.

• Like 2

strawberry season already

the first arrived in wararot 8 october this year : )

Ok, ok - 1st topic on strawberry season this year than. biggrin.png

Usually when I get some of the large ones, which don't seem to be available yet, I wash them thoroughly then slice them and sprinkle sugar and add some water. Mix well and sit in the fridge for a day to let a syrup form. Then into cups and into the freezer for later use. Usually they don't make it to the freezer as I keep eating them. smile.png

Many years ago I found shortcake shells and the above were really great on them. Usually I like to slice some bananas in the bottom of a bowl, add vanilla ice cream then the strawberries and associated syrup on top.

post-566-0-41636100-1352426635_thumb.jpg

Strawberries Shmawberries...

What about raspberries?

I bought some yesterday at Villa but they weren't half pricey but so mighty fine....

I thought that Raspberries are deciduous and first require cool to cold weather during the dormant period.

Hello all, can anyone tell me how many Hydroponic Strawberry growers are there in CM and surrounds, i am looking to set up a small Hyroponic Farm when i move to Thailand in the near future, i have heard the strawberries are not very good in flavour, sounds strange to me that they can't get it right , maybe they use the wrong types of cultivars, i grow them here in Australia and they are outstanding in flavour, so i would be happy to hear from anyone with imformation, about this subject,

Cheers

Scoop

What about raspberries?

I bought some yesterday at Villa but they weren't half pricey but so mighty fine....

What about raspberries?

Can you please tell me where villa is ?

Would love to get some raspberries.

What about raspberries?

What about raspberries?

Can you please tell me where villa is ?

Would love to get some raspberries.

There are no Villa Markets in Northen Thailand.

http://www.villamarket.com/

Chiang Mai has Rimping.

http://www.rimping.com/

Like all fruit it is very important to buy the right product which is ripe, in season etc. esp. now as many are grown for shelve life and appearance. I have had some good strawberries in past years but mainly not good enough to bother with. Heading up to Mai Rim this morning and will try this years early crop and report back.

What about raspberries?

Now you are talking.

Also Black berries and Logan Berries. Can't remember ever seeing Logan Berries here though.

None of those need special treatment to taste great.

Makro has frozen blackberries & raspberries. From China I think.

Just saw some, non-frozen ones, at Rimping Nim City next to some atrociously priced strawberries. The strawberries, 390 Baht for a small bag! Imported from a greenhouse at one of the poles I guess. wink.png

What about raspberries?

Kilogram packs of frozen raspberries in makro. About 200 baht from memory, but it might be double that, not good at remembering prices.

Makro has frozen blackberries & raspberries. From China I think.

Just saw some, non-frozen ones, at Rimping Nim City next to some atrociously priced strawberries. The strawberries, 390 Baht for a small bag! Imported from a greenhouse at one of the poles I guess. wink.png

Was the bag Gucci?

What about raspberries?

Kilogram packs of frozen raspberries in makro. About 200 baht from memory, but it might be double that, not good at remembering prices.

I think they were about 100 baht.