Butternut Squash Ravioli--What Thai Substitute Is There?

bonobo

Butternut squash is occasionally available in the supermarket in the basement at Siam Paragon. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Acorn squash and butternut squash are available here very occasionally, and are the best substitutes. However, for a local substitute, use Japanese squash, available at all big supermarkets (Lotus, Big C, etc.). It's a little dried than butternut squash, and a little sweeter, but not a bad substitute. If you're over roasting it before making the puree, I'd suggest leaving the skin on to keep it moister.

Where to get fresh sage would be, for me, more of a challenge. It's intermittently available at Villa, but nowhere I know of has it reliably. (The dried stuff is really no substitute - apart from in sage and onion stuffing balls and in faggots.)

Butternut squash is occasionally available in the supermarket in the basement at Siam Paragon. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Acorn squash and butternut squash are available here very occasionally, and are the best substitutes. However, for a local substitute, use Japanese squash, available at all big supermarkets (Lotus, Big C, etc.). It's a little dried than butternut squash, and a little sweeter, but not a bad substitute. If you're over roasting it before making the puree, I'd suggest leaving the skin on to keep it moister.

Where to get fresh sage would be, for me, more of a challenge. It's intermittently available at Villa, but nowhere I know of has it reliably. (The dried stuff is really no substitute - apart from in sage and onion stuffing balls and in faggots.)

Thanks. I checked out the Asian pumpkin (they called it bapakus), but I would prefer a good squash.

You are right about the fresh sage, but if I can't get it, I have to make do with dried. I miss my herb garden from back in the States. I wonder what kinds I can reliably grow here in the Bangkok area.

"Hankering for butternut squash ravioli".

Hillbilly Italian?

We have a fresh sage report. Foodland as of yesterday. Over.

I wish I had known that earlier today! I was in the city. Now, I will have to wait for Wednesday and mosey on down hope they still have it.

Adams Organics have had locally grow butternuts squashes for a while. Theres still some in my local Tops, small but very nice and a fraction of the price compared to the imported ones at Villa.

I've also seen fresh sage in a couple of Villas recently too. Stuff like this is getting much easier to find in BK now.

Thanks. I checked out the Asian pumpkin (they called it bapakus), but I would prefer a good squash.

You are right about the fresh sage, but if I can't get it, I have to make do with dried. I miss my herb garden from back in the States. I wonder what kinds I can reliably grow here in the Bangkok area.

Fresh sage available all the time at Villa 33. I love ravioli of all types with a butter sage sauce!

Just an update: I found the squash and sage at Villa.

With the filling, I hit it right on. It was exactly as I wanted. The sauce was good, too. Unfortunately, I made the pasta too thick. It looked good before cooking, but it really puffed up more than I expected.

Oh well, I'll just have to do better next time.