Age Of Thai Citizen Required To Purchase House?

I've just stumbled on this post and would like to put some further questions forward.

I've split up with my Thai partner, girlfriend, and I love her son as if he was my child and I don't have any biological children of my own. I would like to buy land on his behalf, not for my benefit as I'm an old bastard, so if what you are saying about the juvenile court is true it is possibly an answer to a question I've been trying to pose. I get on Ok with his mother but the thing that worries me is pre deceasing before he gets to 20. Could I put preconditions such as the land/property would have to be sold and the money then having to come back to my western family?.

Obviously I would take legal advice before entering into any sort of purchase but any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated in this respect as the advice I'd been given by friends locally, Thai + foreign, was that this couldn't be done.

Buying land with western money is a one way transaction. You can not add conditions.

Court will make the decision for the child. After he is twenty he can do whatever he wants with it, maybe sell it and spent it on a nice set of wheels, girlfriends and a few parties.

Buying land with western money is a one way transaction. You can not add conditions.

Court will make the decision for the child. After he is twenty he can do whatever he wants with it, maybe sell it and spent it on a nice set of wheels, girlfriends and a few parties.

Jean.. All depends on how the parent brings up his child as to his or her sensability..

Others, thanks for the sensible replies. I will look into the legal aspects further as when im gone most possessions will be left for him and if you cant trust your own family (by blood), who can you trust ;)

In genera lthe court will require someone to be efectively the guardian of the child in relation to the land until the child reaches 20. This is because taxes and decisions have to be paid and made. The court will generally not allow any modification of the chanote until the child is 20. In other words the land cannot be long leased,mortgaged or sold.

Edited by harrry

• 8 months later...

Sorry but I require a bit of clarification here.

1) Do you have to go through the courts to actually purchase real estate in a minor's name?

2) I have seen reference to ID number being required yet minor children do not have ID numbers - is this an issue?

Thanks

1. No not to purchase, but once the chanote is in the child's name it is his/ hers and then you must go to court to alter it or sell. For example you could sell for the purpose of their education or to purchase another price of land in their name.

2. I don't think so, my daughter was only 11, had to show passport..I used a lawyer.