400Cc Bikes

markandpar

• 2 weeks later...

Karlos,

This is a bit late, but...

I've been a biker more years than I like to admit -- even owned a VFR400 in Bangkok, but

not sure if I correctly understand the expression, "most VFR400's have been cooked."

Maybe it means they've had the hell run out of them (beat to death)?

Brad

• Like 1

Karlos,

I've been a biker more years than I like to admit -- even owned a VFR400 in Bangkok, but

not sure if I correctly understand the expression, "most VFR400's have been cooked."

Brad

He may mean that most of the bikes (like old VFR400s) have been 'matched' to green books as opposed to the other way around?

Karlos,

Brad

He may mean that most of the bikes (like old VFR400s) have been 'matched' to green books as opposed to the other way around?

Hehehe... Ok, thanks. That makes sense... smile.png

What i mean by the term 'cooked' is that the engines have been over heated.

The first mistake most Thais do is change the jets on the rear cylinders to match those of the fronts, not realising that the rear cylinders run 2 sizes larger than the front due to less airflow and thus the extra fuel helps to cool the rear cylinders a little more.

Most Carbs on these bikes have adjusted by someone that thinks the same setting that worked on his Honda Sonic will work on a 4 cylinder sport bike....

Water pumps, cleanliness of the radiators and sticky thermostats get neglected for far too long, most Thai owners don't realise the symptoms of a cooling system fault until it's far too late.

If you look hard you'll find a good one, but please take the bike for a long hard test ride before buying a VFR400, compression test if you can too.

The VFR400 i had was a beauty and ran great until the main water pump hose burst, so first on my list if i were to buy one again would be to replace those 20 year hoses

Thanks, Karlos. Exactly what I thought.

The VFR400 I bought in Bkk in 2002 was in beautiful condition.

The previous owner, a falang, was very knowledgeable about

bikes and very meticulous in his maintenance. I just got lucky.

I rode it for two years and no significant problems. Great bike.

• Like 1