Half-thai From Uk - Want To Live In Thailand

justin.th

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum, hope I'm not asking an old question, I did search and it just made me more confused.

Im 22yrs old and was born and raised in the UK. My father is Thai and mother is English. I want to move to Thailand near the end of the year (I'll be 23 by that time). I'm wondering what visa I should get or whether or not I am eligible for a Thai passport.

My dad left Bkk when he was around 7yrs old. He studied in HK and then came to England where he did his MEng and he's lived here since then and become a full UK citizen. He does not have a Thai Pp any more, furthermore he can't speak Thai very well, he cant read or write and he never tought me. Also my birth was never registered with a Thai embassy. Currently he is in LOS as his sister informed him someone has stolen his identity. I haven't been able to speak to him yet, but my gf called him and she said she thinks he has obtained a Thai ID.

I'm really not sure what the best thing to do is. Is it possible to get a Thai passport and have dual citizenship? Am I right in thinking that if dad had a Thai Pp and took my birth certificate to a Thai embassy I could get a Thai pp? I want to live in Thailand so it would be nice not to have to keep travelling or whatever to extend a visa. But, assuming this is even possible, would I then have to serve in the military? Failing that, what visa should I apply for and what process does it involve?

A lot of questions I know. Really hoping someone can help me!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by justin.th

You'll need your fathers Thai ID, and house registration, and your British BC showing he is your father.

The Thai emabassy should then be able to issue you with a belated Thai BC and you can then start the Thai PP process rolling.

As for military service, you should search under 'conscription' or 'military service' on this site. I have posted on this many a time.

cheers

samran.

• 1 year later...

Don't know if you are already in Thailand now, but just wanted to know why the heck you decided to move to Thailand? It seems like it'll be pretty difficult, one, because you don't speak Thai...two, it being a third world country and probably does not have many things Britain does.

Don't know if you are already in Thailand now, but just wanted to know why the heck you decided to move to Thailand? It seems like it'll be pretty difficult, one, because you don't speak Thai...two, it being a third world country and probably does not have many things Britain does.

What a load of rubbish.

To the OP - follow Samran's advice and I am confident you will be able to obtain your Thai passport.

no, best to come on 30 day visa runs and teach English illegally. Thats doing it properly!!!

no, best to come on 30 day visa runs and teach English illegally. Thats doing it properly!!!

Haha, what did you get paid to teach "illegally"? Free food and crappy apartment to stay?

What a load of rubbish.

To the OP - follow Samran's advice and I am confident you will be able to obtain your Thai passport.

To what end – I mean, what will he do here?

I agree with both halfkid and Samran.

The OP is now 22, – 23 when he moves to Thailand.

He cannot have much in the way of Academic Qualifications – at least none not already held by many Thais already, or unique, valuable experience which, again, has not already been accumulated by native Thais, including the numerous ones who have studied overseas.

He cannot speak, read or write Thai.

Yes, I agree he will almost certainly be eligible for Thai Nationality and a Thai Passport but I repeat – why would he think of moving here?

Patrick

Haha, what did you get paid to teach "illegally"? Free food and crappy apartment to stay?

dunno, I've always had proper jobs....

Why would anyone move to Thailand? lol.....unless you get paid A LOT to work in a western co. Good to travel, but don't know about living.

I'm not saying it is all beer and skittles, but there are substantial - and pretty well paid - opportunities for someone with a Thai passport who has a marketable skill. Have seen it time and again.

Why would anyone move to Thailand?

why does anyone do anything??? cause it seemed like a good idea at the time!!!

(same reason i'm stuck on kibbutz now with no career unless u count goatherd as a career)...

maybe the guy wants to get back to his roots..

maybe the 'western ammenities' dont do it for him...

maybe he just wants to try something different and the passport deal can help it along...

maybe he inherited thousands of rai and wants to go farm...

maybe he wants to get in touch with his thai inner self....

whatever.......

I would have thought a Thai passport holder fluent in English would have a good opportunity here in Thailand

I wish I could find one thats for sure

you have to pay well.... we come out of the woodwork then..... :o

I would have thought a Thai passport holder fluent in English would have a good opportunity here in Thailand

I wish I could find one thats for sure

Cronyism is alive and well in this LOS.

Most ruling elites come from top Thai universities. They are the dormineering forces. Those who graduated from Law Faculty or Political Science Faculty always go after the positions in Ministry of Interior. Usualy start as a head of a small town; Thais call 'Nai Umphur", continue working their way up to the position of Governor (Thai call ' Ka-Luang', he is the head of province ( chang-wad).

Having said all that; yes, you're right.....a Thai passport holder fluent in English would have a good opportunity here in TL nowaday in globalization like working for multinationals companies. But holding a Thai degrees compound with advance degrees from the West put you in the best position far ahead of your peers.