Yingluck Touts Her Achievements

webfact

According to polls, most people are happy with the rice-pledging scheme, she said. Regarding Thailand's competitiveness, a report from January to October showed Thailand ranked third in world exports, after Vietnam and India. But looking at average prices, Thai rice was sold at US$679 per tonne, compared with US$445 for Vietnam. The rice export value was US$3.897 billion (Bt120 billion).

"As a Thai, I prefer seeing the [big] sum of money to the [volume in] tonnes," she said.

We sell much less but at higher prices. The rice export value is stated without reference to previous years. Also the government spent THB 359 billion from 410 till today and expects THB 240 - 260 billion in return by 2013? What about the TWO TIMES 400 billion in price pledging? One time in fiscal 2012, one time in fiscal 2013?

BTW one achievement seems missing. The most well traveled PM Thailand ever had :-)

isn't that the accepted Thai way, we have less tourists so we put up the price for rooms. Sell less for more money.

Also what is wrong with putting prices up, prices go up, that's inflation. What is wrong in making money? What is wrong with a PM saying she wants to see more money coming into the country. I would be happy to sell you one item for 100 baht rather than 2 items for 100 baht.

Also so what if she has traveled a lot, promoting Thailand overseas is a good thing to do. No doubt if she traveled nowhere you would be up in arms about that also.

'the accepted Thai way' seems a good justification. 'sell 1 instead of 2 for same price' makes you happy.

Well the THB 120 billion in rice export value (this year I assume) is not really in the same order as the THB 195 billion in 2011

http://www.thairicee...istic_2011.html

As for the travelling, recent trip to the UK had members of her entourage struggling to explain things to UK rice importers

http://www.thaivisa....shun-thai-rice/

Listen, thailand does not have the monopoly on rice, people are free to go elsewhere, and if people have decided to go elsewhere then it is right to make as much money as you can from what you have, or should the government try and undercut their competitors? What would that solve, the same work load for less money.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The exact opposite is true in my hypothetical.

Fair enough, but don't confuse fantasy with reality. The polling is in the PTP's favour. If the Democrats had a real leader and a party with a vision and direction, the PTP would be toast.

Ugh, polls. Really? Yes a new leader is needed and perhaps even a new party but the red answer is treacherous and even murderous. Ask all who stand opposed.

isn't that the accepted Thai way, we have less tourists so we put up the price for rooms. Sell less for more money.

Also what is wrong with putting prices up, prices go up, that's inflation. What is wrong in making money? What is wrong with a PM saying she wants to see more money coming into the country. I would be happy to sell you one item for 100 baht rather than 2 items for 100 baht.

Also so what if she has traveled a lot, promoting Thailand overseas is a good thing to do. No doubt if she traveled nowhere you would be up in arms about that also.

'the accepted Thai way' seems a good justification. 'sell 1 instead of 2 for same price' makes you happy.

Well the THB 120 billion in rice export value (this year I assume) is not really in the same order as the THB 195 billion in 2011

As for the travelling, recent trip to the UK had members of her entourage struggling to explain things to UK rice importers

Listen, thailand does not have the monopoly on rice, people are free to go elsewhere, and if people have decided to go elsewhere then it is right to make as much money as you can from what you have, or should the government try and undercut their competitors? What would that solve, the same work load for less money.

Just because Thailand has no monopoly on rice it seems a bit strange to setup a scheme which induces Thai rice farmers to produce more rather than better (aka quantity before quality) in order to sell less abroad for a higher price (but a lesser total). That also leave 14m tons in stock and the local population has to eat it's way through it paying more along the way.

BTW 'same workload' in work per hour maybe, but a higher produce in volume without farming improvements can only mean more workhours. wink.png

Selling your items for double the price is fine if you are the only seller, otherwise you end up with a lot of surplus. Oh wait, it's already happening!

And I think its amazing that Yingluk has increased her parliamentary attendance by 400% in the last week. I can guarantee you that very few world leaders have ever done that.

as i say, that's they Thai way, bump the price up until people go elsewhere, not saying its right but I am sure they are aware of this.

As for her parliament attendance, not sure if there is a law or regulation that requires a certain amount of attendance or not but again I am sure she is aware of this. Also while she is not at parliament I am sure she is working and not just having free time, i could understand the concern then about her parliament attendance but as she is using the time well then no real need to complain I would have thought. But then again I guess this depends on which side of the fence one sits on.

Could you tell me of any other MP in any other country with a parliamentary system who spends less time in session? She apparently confuses her position with that of President, but that may be intentional.

• Like 1

She sure knows how to travel and does like to shop a lot thats for sure ...

Well, one day, when you are as successful in business as she has been you too will have the money to purchase consumer items. If you are trying to claim that the PM used her foreign visits as shopping junkets, you are mistaken. Her time was taken up with official events and meetings. She had little time off on those visits that buttressed the flow of investments into Thailand, the promotion of tourism and the sale of Thai products.

You know very well she was never successful in business she has a make shift position in a family firm that was eliminated the minute she left it to apply all she had learned from it to being Prime Minister.

Tourists where are they. Even though there is more tourists coming they are mostly Asian. Not a result of her efforts.

They are a result of a over all poor world wide economy. The Asians that come to Thailand used to be able to afford to go to North America or Europe. Now they come to Thailand as it is cheaper. I would like to hear if the over all amount of money brought in by tourists is more than what it was before The North Americans and Europeans slowed down and were replaced by Asians.

She sure knows how to travel and does like to shop a lot thats for sure ...

Well, one day, when you are as successful in business as she has been you too will have the money to purchase consumer items. If you are trying to claim that the PM used her foreign visits as shopping junkets, you are mistaken. Her time was taken up with official events and meetings. She had little time off on those visits that buttressed the flow of investments into Thailand, the promotion of tourism and the sale of Thai products.

Do you have her official schedule?

She declared her flood policy a success with 900 dead. Ok, it's a simple translation issue. Success means miserable failure causing death and destruction. Ok. I get it now. Rice policy is a Success!

Ahh, so you are blaming the PM for the deaths associated with the flooding crisis. Okie dokie. So who do you blame for the deaths in the Sandy debacle that destroyed the coastal communities in New Jersey and New York? Who do you blame for yesterday's fatalities in the UK flooding ?

Hundreds killed by a veritable tsunami of water. Problem is it was moving at just a few kilometers per day.

Exacerbated by her own government officials managing the dams for their own wealth and failing to react to the whole situation without recourse to corruption, I fail to see how it compares in any way to Sandy

• Like 1

The exact opposite is true in my hypothetical.

Fair enough, but don't confuse fantasy with reality. The polling is in the PTP's favour. If the Democrats had a real leader and a party with a vision and direction, the PTP would be toast.

If that visionary leader and 'threat to Thai democracy' wasn't first.

Just because Thailand has no monopoly on rice it seems a bit strange to setup a scheme which induces Thai rice farmers to produce more rather than better (aka quantity before quality) in order to sell less abroad for a higher price (but a lesser total). That also leave 14m tons in stock and the local population has to eat it's way through it paying more along the way.

BTW 'same workload' in work per hour maybe, but a higher produce in volume without farming improvements can only mean more workhours. wink.png

Maybe they want a rice mountain like the EU butter mountain wink.png

• Like 1

Totally detached from reality.

Abhisit?

Sorry but it's hard to tell from your in depth post about the issues raised.

I found it quite easy to understand.

whoever has a particular bias will take from it what they want, for those with an open mind it was there to be questioned.

Maybe they want a rice mountain like the EU butter mountain wink.png

If ever I heard or read a good reason for the 'rice price pledging' scheme, surely this must be it!smile.png

Totally detached from reality.

Abhisit?

Sorry but it's hard to tell from your in depth post about the issues raised.

I found it quite easy to understand.

whoever has a particular bias will take from it what they want, for those with an open mind it was there to be questioned.

Really? Also when Yingluck is the topic of this thread?

She declared her flood policy a success with 900 dead. Ok, it's a simple translation issue. Success means miserable failure causing death and destruction. Ok. I get it now. Rice policy is a Success!

Ahh, so you are blaming the PM for the deaths associated with the flooding crisis. Okie dokie. So who do you blame for the deaths in the Sandy debacle that destroyed the coastal communities in New Jersey and New York? Who do you blame for yesterday's fatalities in the UK flooding ?

I was unaware that the US Government had released ( water that had been held back until a certain man had his rice crop in) a huge volume of water from a dam to contribute to Sandy,

Or that they had been denying the severity of the problem.

Really? Also when Yingluck is the topic of this thread?

it is not unusual for the first reply in a thread to be off topic and blaming someone the op is not about.

Now the person that made the post has already dealt with this as have I, if you want to continue this do it via PM, if you don't know how PM works as the mods and they will help you.

Carra said

"Maybe they want a rice mountain like the EU butter mountain".

If only it was chocolate and peanut butter.

we could all accept a chocolate mountain and a beer lake with a jack daniels waterfall

wink.png

Maybe this can be the Dems new policy, don't offer tablets for kids, offer what I suggest for the adults and then they will be too drunk to notice what a fist they are making of things again tongue.png

Carra said

we could all accept a chocolate mountain and a beer lake with a jack daniels waterfallwink.png

Maybe this can be the Dems new policy, don't offer tablets for kids, offer what I suggest for the adults and then they will be too drunk to notice what a fist they are making of things again tongue.png

Somewhat off topic (sorry), but I'm puzzling a bit over the Jack Daniels waterfall in combination with the beer lake. Maybe I need a glass with two fingers of an Islay malt, a spot of water and a little bit of ice to be able to better contemplate the concepttongue.png

Carra said

we could all accept a chocolate mountain and a beer lake with a jack daniels waterfall

wink.png

Finally some common sense.

Carra said

we could all accept a chocolate mountain and a beer lake with a jack daniels waterfallwink.png

Somewhat off topic (sorry), but I'm puzzling a bit over the Jack Daniels waterfall in combination with the beer lake. Maybe I need a glass with two fingers of an Islay malt, a spot of water and a little bit of ice to be able to better contemplate the concepttongue.png

Boilermakers BABY! Threw up 7 times. Is that a lucky number?

According to polls, most people are happy with the rice-pledging scheme, she said. Regarding Thailand's competitiveness, a report from January to October showed Thailand ranked third in world exports, after Vietnam and India. But looking at average prices, Thai rice was sold at US$679 per tonne, compared with US$445 for Vietnam. The rice export value was US$3.897 billion (Bt120 billion).

"As a Thai, I prefer seeing the [big] sum of money to the [volume in] tonnes," she said.

We sell much less but at higher prices. The rice export value is stated without reference to previous years. Also the government spent THB 359 billion from 410 till today and expects THB 240 - 260 billion in return by 2013? What about the TWO TIMES 400 billion in price pledging? One time in fiscal 2012, one time in fiscal 2013?

BTW one achievement seems missing. The most well traveled PM Thailand ever had :-)

Carra, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not from your post. If you are, OK. If not, please read on my comments...

Apparently in your world, there is no such thing as economics. I can make a business plan for my organic shrimp company and I will just cut my production in half (half the work) and double my prices (twice the profit) for a 4x better result. I think we should send all business people to Thailand for an education and everyone can do half the work for double the pay and the world would surely be a better place.

What a waste was my education in the US...

Carra, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not from your post. If you are, OK. If not, please read on my comments...

Apparently in your world, there is no such thing as economics. I can make a business plan for my organic shrimp company and I will just cut my production in half (half the work) and double my prices (twice the profit) for a 4x better result. I think we should send all business people to Thailand for an education and everyone can do half the work for double the pay and the world would surely be a better place.

What a waste was my education in the US...

its the thai way my friend. What we see here during downturns in business is not the reduction of prices to entice customers but the increase in prices to make money of those still buying.

• Like 1

Carra said

Come on, use logic, the waterfall does not flow into the lake, it forms its own little pond at the side for the pensive and disturbed to sip from biggrin.png

• Like 2