Looking For A Mtb

Mc3103

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, decided to join for possible help to find a large (20inch or there abouts) MTB, for around 10 000baht.

Been searching the local shops but they are all looking at 19 000baht upwards for a basic marida. Having sold my S-works before moving to Thailand i know what the bikes should cost, and thats ripping the ring out a little.

Second hand bike is probably best, but being up in Si Sa Ket that is proving hard to find. I'm off to the Cambodia border on Sunday to have a look as apparently they bring in bikes from China and sell them there, anyone know about this or have any luck?

At this stage i might be getting a single speed town bike for now, but it won't be nearly as much fun or as flexible as a MTB.

Thanks in advance.

Murray

The bikes coming through Cambodia are all second hand & maybe stolen bikes from China & Japan. Some are in good condition others not so good. Some authentic and many are not the brand they claim to be. Stickers are easy to find and paint is cheap. There are thousands of bikes in that border market area. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw there. I'm told by some Thai cyclist friends of mine that the best way to shop at the border is through a LBS in Sri Sa Ket. Tell them what you're looking for and they will try to find the bike.

I don't know what you're used to paying for a bike but I find the prices reasonable here in Udon Thani. We have two high end dealers here. Peter (speaks very good English) the owner stocks Merida, Specialized & Colnago with his other shop (same owner) carrying LA Bike brand. The second shop is also well stocked with a variety of bikes both road & MTB.

There are not very many larger frame MTB's around in Thailand, so to find a second hand one will not be easy. And for 10,000 Baht I really don't know what you expect to buy. That is beneath the lowest of the range of all the MTB's in Thailand.

Note that you should be able to get up to 20% off the marked price.

I am not sure where you get your price comparison, but Merida, for example, are cheaper in Thailand than other countries. Take the basic Matts TFS 100

http://www.facebook.com/merida.in.th?sk=app_106878476015645&app_data=page-4

at 18,500 Baht without discount.

Aussie discount price is

http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--1221775461_2013_Merida_Matts_TFS_100_MTB

19,000 Baht.

You can pick this bike up in Thailand for 14,000 Baht with discount.

http://www.km8bicycle.com/store/product/view/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2_MERIDA_MATTS_TFS_100_D_%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%8C_16_18_%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B3%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%87_%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5_2013-22279809-th.html

You sold a $3,000 bike and now you want a $300 bike?

Prices here are good but not that good. As the above poster says, large sizes are hard to come by. And it's bad karma to buy a stolen bike.

There are lots of used bikes for sale on ThaiMTB.com but it's all in Thai.

Hi Murray,

I bought 2 mountain bikes in the last year(one 24" and one 22.5").

I sold my 22.5" Bike on craigslist thailand, so I would check for second hand bikes there everyday.

If you decided to buy a new bike I would recommend contacting the distributer of the brand(Like Trek/Merida/Specialized) and find out what bikes they have in stock in your size. Once you verify they have the make and model and size you want, you can get a local bike shop(or one of their dealers) to sell you bike at a discount.

I got a 2012 Trek 4300 bike for 12,500 THB through this method. The price from the Trek distributer (Probike in Bangkok) was higher(14,000.) than the local shop in Chiangmai.