Another British Woman Raped On Koh Samui

SAMUI RAPE

Police accused of covering up crime against tourists

The police have been accused of covering up the rape of another young British woman on Koh Samui within days of the killers of Katherine Horton being sentenced to death.

The latest victim is 18-year-old Corrie-Ann Holt, a gap year student from Wigton, Cumbria.

Holt claimed that on January 21 she was drugged in the Green Mango bar in Chaweng, then dragged to a spot known as “Secret Beach”, where she was raped by two men, believed to be Thai.

She alleged police asked her not to press charges because it could harm tourism, and treated her as if she was drunk and available.

The latest allegations, which the British Foreign Office is aware of, were published two days ago in the Mail on Sunday.

Holt alleged that she was left for dead and that police also did not bother to take any of her clothing for DNA testing.

Not only did they not keep the allegations under wraps, but yesterday – three weeks after the event – the results of laboratory tests had still had not been received by investigating officers. This is despite the fact it took only six hours for police to establish that two Thai fishermen had raped and murdered Horton, who came from Cardiff.

“I want to say to people going to Koh Samui. Don’t go there. It’s that simple. The police do not care about you,” Holt was quoted as saying.

She said that she had had two beers and a tequila at the bar on the night of January 21, when she began to feel very woozy.

“I remember being walked out of the club or carried – I think I was saying things like ‘Where are you taking me?’ It was like being very drunk but having no control. One of the men was Thai, the other black.

“I don’t remember anything after that until I came to on a beach. I woke up in the middle of being raped. I screamed blue murder. They tried to cover my mouth and were saying in English ‘shut up.’ I bit one of them on the hand.

“I was screaming ‘Stop! Stop!’ but realised that wasn’t working. I shouted ‘Rape!’ and after a few moments they ran off.”

Holt believes she may have been drugged with Rohypnol. However, because she wasn’t given a blood test until 10 hours after the attack, all traces of the drug would have disappeared by then.

“I got up and stood on the rock screaming for help. A Thai woman called down to me in English, asking if I was okay. I couldn’t see her but to know that someone else was there was such a relief.”

After 20 minutes police came and helped her climb up the cliff by the beach to the woman’s house.

“All of a sudden a whole lot of them arrived, along with the new chief of police. He came over and introduced himself to me and said it was his first day. It was slightly bizarre. I didn’t know what the police were saying as I couldn’t understand them. It had gone from being two police to being about 20. They seemed more interested in impressing the police chief than helping me.”

At 6am on January 22, she said she was examined by a male doctor at the local hospital.

“He took blood and did an examination. He didn’t speak any English, which was infuriating, as I didn’t know what was going on.

“He gave me pills but didn’t tell me what [they were]. It wasn’t until I was taken to a private hospital by the British Embassy that I found out they were antibiotics and a ‘morning-after’ pill. I was also given anti-retrovirals against HIV at the private hospital.

“In the government hospital, when I went in for the examination, the chief of police tried to come in as well. I just shut the door in his face. I felt they were more worried about tourism and the damage to it than what I had been through.

“They tried to dissuade me from pressing charges and told me it would damage tourism. I sat there with my mouth open ... I couldn’t believe how I was being treated.”

Holt said she was then driven to the police station to make a statement. “I didn’t have an interpreter – they just wrote down what I was saying in Thai but how closely it matched I don’t know. They weren’t taping the interview.

Holt later learnt that police had not informed the British Embassy – officials only learnt of the rape after her father called the Foreign Office emergency line in London.

Koh Samui police chief Colonel Chakkrit Srisuwan, on learning of the allegations, denied that the rape was being covered up.

“When police interviewed the girl she was not clear about what happened and seemed drunk. She said she had been raped, and mentioned a black man – big, strong.

“A medical check was carried out by two doctors at the hospital. The examination could not confirm rape so they sent samples to a police hospital in Bangkok for analysis. We have yet to receive results.

“The girl was confused and uncoordinated, but there were no serious injuries.

“Police apprehended a Thai man known to have spoken to her and [who] had tried to carry her out of the Green Mango – CCTV cameras show the incident. The manager has made a positive ID – he was taken to Nathon police station.

“The next day the girl was also taken to Nathon to make a report, she still could not remember what happened and said she did not want to continue the investigation. Police advised her to continue and she was asked to identify the man from the club but she said he was not one of her attackers.

“Police are continuing with the investigation.”

Andrew Drummond

Special to The Nation

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘Lucky to be alive’

Published on 13/02/2006

newsandstar.co.uk

A CUMBRIAN teenager was raped by two men on the Thai island where backpacker Katherine Horton was murdered.

Three weeks after the New Year’s Day murder, Corrie-Anne Holt, an 18-year-old student nurse from Curthwaite, near Wigton, says she was drugged and dragged out of a bar in front of police before being physically attacked on the holiday island of Koh Samui.

Officers have also bungled forensic tests that may have helped catch the offenders, Miss Holt claims.

She also accuses Thai officials of being more interested in protecting the area’s reputation as a tourist haven than in catching her attackers.<br />

The teenager, who has fought cancer twice, has waived the right to anonymity granted to rape victims in the UK to warn others about the dangers of the island.

She told the Mail on Sunday: “I’m lucky to be alive. If two men can carry someone out of a crowded club in front of police, then no-one is safe. “Don’t go there. The police don’t care about you.”

The British Embassy was not informed of Miss Holt’s ordeal by Thai authorities. Diplomats were only alerted when Corrie-Anne’s father Edward phoned the Foreign Office in London. His daughter had called him in tears after the ordeal.

An overseas crime liaison office is now said to be working with Thai officials.

A Foreign Office official has told Miss Holt she is the third British woman to be raped on the island in a month.

Miss Holt and her travelling companion and schoolfriend Dave Norman had arrived at Chaweng Beach on January 21 and visited the Green Mango Bar.

Miss Holt said: “It had CCTV cameras and police on the door. I felt I was safe. I bought a beer, Dave bought me one and a tequila.

“After the shot Dave went to the lavatory. The next thing I remember was being walked out of the club by two men. I felt as though I had no control.

“I don’t remember anything else until I came to in the middle of being raped.” She said that was around 4.30am and she’d been missing since midnight.

Miss Holt said the rapists were scared off by her screams. She said: “I was terrified. The beach was below high water level. If I had not come round I would’ve drowned. I started screaming for help and a Thai woman heard me.”

Miss Holt says she was examined by a male doctor and then taken to a police station to give a statement. She wanted to change her clothes, take a shower and call home but says officers would not let her.

The Thai authorities say they have done all they can.

Son of a Beach, what the heck is happing with Thailand.

My wife won't go to phuket/Krabi because of all the ghost from the sunami. Now it sounds like Samui is a lawless island and the wife just told we should not go there. I am running out of beaches

to go too. At this rate in 19 years when I am able to retire to thailand I will have to go to another country just to find a safe beach.

somethings got to change before old Padkapow's dream of living on a beach in Thailand is SOL.

PKG :o

Son of a Beach, what the heck is happing with Thailand.

My wife won't go to phuket/Krabi because of all the ghost from the sunami. Now it sounds like Samui is a lawless island and the wife just told we should not go there. I am running out of beaches

to go too. At this rate in 19 years when I am able to retire to thailand I will have to go to another country just to find a safe beach.

somethings got to change before old Padkapow's dream of living on a beach in Thailand is SOL.

PKG :o

I would suggest Eastbourne or Tourquay but on second thoughts, you'd probably be a lot safer in Thailand!

At this rate in 19 years when I am able to retire to thailand I will have to go to another country just to find a safe beach.

You have nothing to worry, they don't rape guys yet.

And some people argue that capital punishment is a deterrent.

Capital punishment is not handed down for rape.

In the case of murder, whether it's a deterrent or not, if it means that the victim's family can get on with their lives with just a little less pain then it's necessary.

I think the number of foreign women that get raped in Thailand is probably much higher than the few incidents that get reported in the media. After the trauma of being raped would any women want to subject themselves to the further trauma of dealing with Thai policemen? I doubt it. I guess most of them just leave the country asap and do whatever they can to get support to deal with it, but they never have a hope of getting any justice in Thailand.

I think the number of foreign women that get raped in Thailand is probably much higher than the few incidents that get reported in the media. After the trauma of being raped would any women want to subject themselves to the further trauma of dealing with Thai policemen? I doubt it. I guess most of them just leave the country asap and do whatever they can to get support to deal with it, but they never have a hope of getting any justice in Thailand.

good point wix

for a holiday destination for women it is looking less attractive these days.

Surprise. Surprise!!!!!!

Samui Police are about as good as a chocolate fire guard

Yido :D

Another nail in the coffin (cash cow) that was Koh Samui...but they just dont get it....

...book your hols for next year ....Basra,Kabul,Moga dis....Koh samui........ :o

sorry for the young lass......

Oh dear....once again it doesnt quite gel does it...

she went missing at about midnight....correct ???

The doctor took the blood at about 0600 hrs....correct ???

She said she came to at about 0430 hrs while being attacked...correct ???

She said the blood was taken some 10 hours after the attack....correct ???

So lets look at this

By her own account the blood was taken 1 and 1/2 hours after the attack and at least 6 hours after the ingestion of the spiked drink. The time frame alone counteracts her claims.

Rohypnol is a fast acting drug and is detectable for upto 24 hours or more after ingestion. In other words if she was carried out about midnite and the blood was taken at 0600hrs then the drug would still be detectable in her system.

Mr Norman who after returning from the toilet to find his companion missing did what ??? Did he not go to the door people or bar staff and ask about his friend ???...if he did this, then why was a search not immediately initiated and the video from the CCTV checked.

There is more

Edited by gburns57au

So lets look at this

By her own account the blood was taken 1 and 1/2 hours after the attack and at least 6 hours after the ingestion of the spiked drink. The time frame alone counteracts her claims.

Rohypnol is a fast acting drug and is detectable for upto 24 hours or more after ingestion. In other words if she was carried out about midnite and the blood was taken at 0600hrs then the drug would still be detectable in her system.

Mr Norman who after returning from the toilet to find his companion missing did what ??? Did he not go to the door people or bar staff and ask about his friend ???...if he did this, then why was a search not immediately initiated and the video from the CCTV checked.

There is more

Erm....Mr Holmes, your conspiracy theory falls at the first hurdle. Where is it written that she said that there was 10 hours before the blood test?

Not only did they not keep the allegations under wraps, but yesterday – three weeks after the event – the results of laboratory tests had still had not been received by investigating officers.

IF by some fabulous miracle, they actually did test her blood for Flunitrazepam, then the unforwarded results sitting in some blue folder in a file cabinet aren't doing much good.

So lets look at this

There is more

Erm....Mr Holmes, your conspiracy theory falls at the first hurdle. Where is it written that she said that there was 10 hours before the blood test?

In the first post....

Holt believes she may have been drugged with Rohypnol. However, because she wasn’t given a blood test until 10 hours after the attack, all traces of the drug would have disappeared by then.

Oh and BTW....I havent put forward a conspiracy theory....or any theory at all......I simply looked at the facts as given and found them to be inconsistant.

Edited by gburns57au

IF by some fabulous miracle, they actually did test her blood for Flunitrazepam, then the unforwarded results sitting in some blue folder in a file cabinet aren't doing much good.

I agree.....if the results are not sent back then all the testing in the world is useless....one would have to wonder why it has taken so long to return the results.

If she claimed that a particular drug was used then the blood and/or urine would be tested for the active ingredient in that drug. It would also be tested for a number of other things which could cause a similar reaction.

Newspaper reports are gospel to some people.How bloody naive.

Rapes on samui? Ok 12 year old gets raped? Did you guys ever bother reporting the findings?2 lines or so , not worth the sensalionaism.

Swedish mother gets raped.... Did you report the findings?

Get real if you just want to copy & paste newspaper reports well ,I advise you to do a bit more work.Just to post for the sake of gossip is not fair to anyone.

I agree.....if the results are not sent back then all the testing in the world is useless....one would have to wonder why it has taken so long to return the results.

If she claimed that a particular drug was used then the blood and/or urine would be tested for the active ingredient in that drug. It would also be tested for a number of other things which could cause a similar reaction.

Except there is no report on what exactly she told the doctor at the time and whether or not she suspected Flunitrazepam. Most standard drug screening done in Thailand does not include testing for this class of drug.

Irregardless of whether or not there are any inconsistencies in her story... this case isn't being investigated or pursued, so the entire discussion is moot.

Newspaper reports are gospel to some people.How bloody naive.

Rapes on samui? Ok 12 year old gets raped? Did you guys ever bother reporting the findings?2 lines or so , not worth the sensalionaism.

Swedish mother gets raped.... Did you report the findings?

Get real if you just want to copy & paste newspaper reports well ,I advise you to do a bit more work.Just to post for the sake of gossip is not fair to anyone.

I'm unaware of any other news releases on either of those cases. If you have additional information, then please, by all means, share it with the rest of us.

Thank you.

Except there is no report on what exactly she told the doctor at the time and whether or not she suspected Flunitrazepam. Most standard drug screening done in Thailand does not include testing for this class of drug.

Irregardless of whether or not there are any inconsistencies in her story... this case isn't being investigated or pursued, so the entire discussion is moot.

No we dont know what she told the doctor, your post though did indicate she believed it was rohypnol and I am sure that she would have mentioned this to someone.

As it is an allegation of rape involving some sort of knock out drug then the testing would have been more directed to detect those sort of drugs rather than MJ, Heroin, or speed.

The case isnt being pursued for good reason....and as for the discussion being moot....I believe that you were the one who started it, after all you are the OP.

Edited by gburns57au

No we dont know what she told the doctor, your post though did indicate she believed it was rohypnol and I am sure that she would have mentioned this to someone.

As it is an allegation of rape involving some sort of knock out drug then the testing would have been more directed to detect those sort of drugs rather than MJ, Heroin, or speed.

No real reason to believe she told much of anything at the time to a doctor who "couldn't understand English."

but as mentioned previously... this is moot. She's most likely been raped and the perpertrators are most likely to never be caught, let alone prosecuted, let alone convicted.... and let alone incarcerated.

.... and life goes on.... until the next hapless victim is victimized.

The case isnt being pursued for good reason....and as for the discussion being moot....I believe that you were the one who started it, after all you are the OP.

....and the good reason it's not being pursued is??

The reason it's not is because it's like so many other crimes, particularly rape are concerned. It's cold indifference by the authorities. Maybe I'm strange, but to me, that is NOT a good reason.

Postings are not only done for discussion purposes, but are often done as a means of informing others of situations or tendencies. We've gotten what little official information there is out there. Without further information or details, I see no point in discussing unproveable contentions.

Postings are not only done for discussion purposes, but are often done as a means of informing others of situations or tendencies. We've gotten what little official information there is out there. Without further information or details, I see no point in discussing unproveable contentions

Sriracha, papers are quick to print stories,in most cases without a lot of research.Headline grabbers are great, but when it comes to admitting they are wrong, they are not so forthcoming.Sorry mate , can't show NEWSPAPER reports contradicting the stories printed.Oops but that is only what you believe though NEWSPAPER reports.Lmao.