Aust Embassy Marriage Requirments

To be married in Thailand April

Can any one that has gone thru the spouse visa process explain what this is and what are you declaring

Qoute from the Aust Embassy web site Bangkok

• Statutory declarations

Australians married in Thailand must provide a pro-forma statutory declaration. The Thai Government requires that such declarations be witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. They will not accept declarations from Australia. A

• Statutory declarations

Australians married in Thailand must provide a pro-forma statutory declaration. The Thai Government requires that such declarations be witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. They will not accept declarations from Australia. A

Yeah I do recall having to sign and pay for something at the Aus Embassy come to think of it. We did it right after the wedding, and it took about 5 minutes... Perhaps we took it to Amphoe to get the marriage cert, can't really remember. That was a long day, getting up at 4am to get ready, wedding at 7am, to the Embassy at 9 then the reception in the evening. Good lord! It was bloody hot too, end of April (Anzac day actually, guaranteed day off in Aus for our anniversaries! :o).

if I remember rightly, I wrote a stat dec stating that I was legally free/able to marry, took it to the oz embassy and paid 600 baht to have it witnessed.

At the Amphur you'll need to take this letter along with passport etc with you. The marriage license takes a few hours (did for me anyway) despite Thai's around us being processed in a matter of minutes.

If you intend having the marriage declared legally in Australia, you'll need to get a stamped/signed document from the Amphur stating that you got married on such and such a day and to whom etc, then get that document translated into english. The decorative marriage certificate they give you is not considered legal proof of marriage in Australia as far as I understand the rules.

Edited by Team Bukowski

if I remember rightly, I wrote a stat dec stating that I was legally free/able to marry, took it to the oz embassy and paid 600 baht to have it witnessed.

At the Amphur you'll need to take this letter along with passport etc with you. The marriage license takes a few hours (did for me anyway) despite Thai's around us being processed in a matter of minutes.

If you intend having the marriage declared legally in Australia, you'll need to get a stamped/signed document from the Amphur stating that you got married on such and such a day and to whom etc, then get that document translated into english. The decorative marriage certificate they give you is not considered legal proof of marriage in Australia as far as I understand the rules.

Yeah that sounds about right. We actually had an agency (who we were going to help us do the visa) helping us at that time, who also did the translations, so I don't remember the details. It was alot of running around tho. We dumped the agency and used everything to get my wife a tourist visa to Aus instead (and ended up doing the spouse visa ourselves afterwards). From reading about the agencies, I'm glad we did!

Amphur took us less than an hour, but we were there bright and early...

Edited by chareehusbee

• 2 months later...

Just got back from Thailand after marrying my girl

I would like to thank ronniem and xerostar for their help in this matter

It took all of 10 minutes in the Australian Embassy to get the stat dec signed and then we went to the Patpong Visa And Translation service and saw a girl called Nicky she was so helpfull and I cant recomend her highly enough.

We thought about doing the wedding thing our selves but for 6000 Baht she did all the translations to Thai took us by Taxi to the Ampur registered the marrige took us back to her office and translated the Thai document to English for me all over and done in less than 2 hours.Money well spent in my opinion

Next hurdle ....the Spouse visa

It took all of 10 minutes in the Australian Embassy to get the stat dec signed and then we went to the Patpong Visa And Translation service and saw a girl called Nicky she was so helpfull and I cant recomend her highly enough.

Hey Wozza.....

Can you remember the name of this translation office? (is it actually called "Patpong Visa And Translation service") and where it's located in Patpong? I'm going to need the services of a good translation office next week, and with someone helpful like this girl, perhaps it will make it a litle easier.

Cheers

Will

The name of the place is Patpong Translation & Visa Service

1 Panchaphat Building Soi Patpong 1-2 Surawong Road Suriyawong Bangrak Bangkok Thailand

Email [email protected]

www.patpongvisaservice.com

Easy to find off Surawong road near the Siam Heritage Hotel you will find Patpong road with the police box on the corner 20 metres up there on the right you will find it

Nicky is the girl that helped us

Quoted on the phone 7500 baht but after I mentioned that she helped with a fellow board members wedding for 6000 she agreed she would do the same so dont be shy about negotiating she will make you feel at ease

good luck

My Pommy mate reckons he did it all by mail and then went to the local Amphur and got married.

We live in Pai, 134k north of Chiang Mai and a trip to BKK it a major undertaking, we have had the village marriage but are looking forward to making it legal!!

Can it be done all by post for Australians??

Thanks,

Colin

Dont know about the poms

But if you are an Aussie you first need to attend the Australian Embassy in Bangkok to fill out a stat dec to say you have not been married and if you have you need to provide a divorce certicate pay 1390bht and then you attend the Thai government office to sign papers

The mail system just dont seem right to me but then I could be mistaken

Thanks Wozza, looks like its a quick trip down to the big smoke. Do I need to take the missus? We will get married at the district office here in Pai so I don't see any need to take her down with me...

we used a translation service as well, cost more than 6000 though sounds like wozza got a good deal.

I reckon if you are only getting the "Decree Absolute" sighted and doing a stat dec at embassy then probably no need to take missus.

No need for the missus at the Embassy but after that you need her id, Taiben Baan and (birth cerificate i think)

Not sure if you can do all that at your local Amphur but if you have to go to the big smoke take her for a few days holiday

Wozza, from memory the declaration you make at the embassy (in English) also needs to be translated into Thai then the translation "validated" (not sure what the proper word is) as a legal Thai document by the Consular Affairs dept. on Chaeng Wattana Road. Better check if this validation is required for the document, and any other documents which have been translated, before going to the Amphur office.

This is the guts of an eMail I got from The Australian Embassy on 3rd March this year :

Thankyou for your email.

You will have to have a stat dec witnessed at the Embassy as you are an Australian citizen and this is a Thai requirement. Your fiance does not need to be present for this, however you need to fill in her name and date of birth on the stat dec. FYI the cost for witnessing a stat dec is THB580 at today's exchange rate (note this changes with fluctuating dollar) in cash please. Office hours are Mon-Fri 0830-1630.

I unfortunately cannot provide advice about whether your fiance needs to be present for the other services such as authorizing at the Thai Foreign Ministry or at the Amphur. You would need to check with the Thai authorities on these issues.

Good luck with the wedding.

Regards

Rob Vlazlovski

Vice Consul

Australian Embassy Bangkok

your fiance does not need to go to the Foreign Ministry at Chaeng Wattana for the document validation. The usual service there is I think next day for a cost of about 300 bt a page. Or you can pay more for an express service which takes 2-3 hours.