23 Million Foreign Tourist Arrivals In Thailand In 2013

webfact

I think your estimates/guesses that there are similar numbers of 4, 3, etc., star hotels is way off. The high end hotels have high rise buildings, and lesser star hotels generally are significantly smaller, many only a few floors and way less than 50 rooms.

Possibly but the thought was there is significantly more of them and more importantly is the point it is meaningless to try to use such estimates to verify the accuracy of foreign visitors because there is way too many variables and much easier ways to for confirmations as already mentioned and has been done in previous threads..

Edit: It is also a guess in terms of how many visitors travel alone and no consideration is made that many of those who travel alone may be staying with somebody here and not renting a hotel room.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of hotels, the industry cannot even accurately tell you how many hotels there are in the world, some estimate 400K some 600K, there are only around 125K hotels globally that distribute via the OTA`s. If an OTA says they have 300K hotels it is because they have multiple sources for data to rate compare and drive hotel yields down. Thailand has 12,000 hotels according to recent reports.

There are only 3 places I know of that can tell you the exact number of hotels and rooms, Hong Kong because the HKTA is funded by the hotel tax, France & the UK, could be more.

I was trying to locate a report about corporate apartments cant find it, if I recall correctly Japan had over 6000 and Bangkok had 4000, mostly in the automotive sector for technicians etc, the numbers were impressive enough for the TAT to do a survey, this was about 4 years ago.

Lots of folks on here seem to question the TAT and tourism in general, I happen to trust the TAT and their numbers. We know 47 million passengers use BKK alone, 3-12% (depending on country - Philippines is almost 65%) are transit passengers the remaining are overnight guests either leisure or business travellers.

5 Star hotels are good press, when Steve Wynn, Bill Marriott, Isadore Sharp, Michael Kadoorie show up in your city sends ripples across the entire industry.

We can bicker back and forth, in my business circles we consider Thailand the leader and the rest follow.

• Like 1

In terms of hotels, the industry cannot even accurately tell you how many hotels there are in the world, some estimate 400K some 600K, there are only around 125K hotels globally that distribute via the OTA`s. If an OTA says they have 300K hotels it is because they have multiple sources for data to rate compare and drive hotel yields down. Thailand has 12,000 hotels according to recent reports.

There are only 3 places I know of that can tell you the exact number of hotels and rooms, Hong Kong because the HKTA is funded by the hotel tax, France & the UK, could be more.

I was trying to locate a report about corporate apartments cant find it, if I recall correctly Japan had over 6000 and Bangkok had 4000, mostly in the automotive sector for technicians etc, the numbers were impressive enough for the TAT to do a survey, this was about 4 years ago.

Lots of folks on here seem to question the TAT and tourism in general, I happen to trust the TAT and their numbers. We know 47 million passengers use BKK alone, 3-12% (depending on country - Philippines is almost 65%) are transit passengers the remaining are overnight guests either leisure or business travellers.

5 Star hotels are good press, when Steve Wynn, Bill Marriott, Isadore Sharp, Michael Kadoorie show up in your city sends ripples across the entire industry.

We can bicker back and forth, in my business circles we consider Thailand the leader and the rest follow.

Went to Koh Lan/Pattaya yesterday, love it, boat 30 bht--7-11 for food and bev-motor bike to the main beach, 50% did it this style. Now the Chinese that occupy the island for 3 hours, come in fast boats at 40k--food ready at chinese pre paid package--no intention of shopping local,asked Kho Lahn people if only chinese came here what would be the outcome---we would have to close the Island was the reply. BUt the stats show things are booming and estimated figures are there to believe.....but as I say without the other nationalities things would die a death, only hotel/tour would survive.

Aha, now we know who smokes all the confiscated drugs, TAT and friends whistling.gif

23 million tourists! It is a big wet dream from TAT....

Only 1 response possible: cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm not a nay sayer, and I've condemned those professional Thai bashers, the ones who don't believe anything good about Thailand, but I have to say this is fantasy.

Break down 23,000,000 to a daily figure, and it's 63,000 a day arriving!! Broken down to aircraft, that's 180 747's with 350 pax on each, not to capacity, but a decent load. I just can't believe it. Bearing in mind that there would be a lot of smaller aircraft from regional Asian centers, it would be 200+ aircraft inbound with only tourists bound for Thailand, and of course 200+ outbound, not taking into account transits.

I googled 'aircraft movements at Suvarnabhumi', came up with the actual airport site, http://www.suvarnabh...a_w_face_en.PDF, and a daily figure of 728 movements is mentioned. I've spent quite a bit of time in the airport over the years, odd hours, and I don't believe that there is, on average, a takeoff or landing every 2 and a bit minutes, not even close, maybe at a couple/few peak times, but not throughout the day.

Looking at the third column on that site, there was a grand total of 13.7 million disembarkations in 2010, but almost 3 million were Thais, international pax, and no doubt Thais returning from overseas. That's 10 million 'tourists', and it's difficult to believe that could go to 23 million in 3 years. There were a total of over 26 million embarkations and disembarkations, so perhaps they're counting twice??

Wikipedia shows the same figures as the TAT, and they also break it by country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

But I have no idea who exactly is counted (for example: connecting flights, people who cross to Laos for a few days then come back are counted twice, legal / illegal workers going in).

there was 16 Million visitors in 2010,

2010 ..... 15,936,400 ..... +12.63 %

That's the stat I don't buy. The country was empty during the protests of March/April/May while the government was announcing 'record tourist numbers'.

Who are you that you would know? Did you go to Pattaya and Chiang Mai and Phuket during those months?

I could understand if you offered some alternative numbers.... Got any?

I'm not a nay sayer, and I've condemned those professional Thai bashers, the ones who don't believe anything good about Thailand, but I have to say this is fantasy.

Break down 23,000,000 to a daily figure, and it's 63,000 a day arriving!! Broken down to aircraft, that's 180 747's with 350 pax on each, not to capacity, but a decent load. I just can't believe it. Bearing in mind that there would be a lot of smaller aircraft from regional Asian centers, it would be 200+ aircraft inbound with only tourists bound for Thailand, and of course 200+ outbound, not taking into account transits.

I googled 'aircraft movements at Suvarnabhumi', came up with the actual airport site, http://www.suvarnabh...a_w_face_en.PDF, and a daily figure of 728 movements is mentioned. I've spent quite a bit of time in the airport over the years, odd hours, and I don't believe that there is, on average, a takeoff or landing every 2 and a bit minutes, not even close, maybe at a couple/few peak times, but not throughout the day.

Looking at the third column on that site, there was a grand total of 13.7 million disembarkations in 2010, but almost 3 million were Thais, international pax, and no doubt Thais returning from overseas. That's 10 million 'tourists', and it's difficult to believe that could go to 23 million in 3 years. There were a total of over 26 million embarkations and disembarkations, so perhaps they're counting twice??

http://en.wikipedia....ism_in_Thailand

But I have no idea who exactly is counted (for example: connecting flights, people who cross to Laos for a few days then come back are counted twice, legal / illegal workers going in).

Not to mention certain kind people who spend a lot of time to help Thais learning english, who cross the border and get counted as a tourist whistling.gif

edit: i choose some better words

Edited by tingtongtourist

http://en.wikipedia....ism_in_Thailand

Not to mention certain kind people who spend a lot of time to help Thais learning english, who cross the border and get counted as a tourist whistling.gif

edit: i choose some better words

Who are you talking about?

These figures just keep going up and up and up. Before long it is going to be spot the Thai in the population. More resorts, hotels, jetskis need urgently, mothers and fathers get to work as we need more daughters for the bars. The world economy must be booming with more and more farangs able to afford overseas holidays.

These figures just keep going up and up and up. Before long it is going to be spot the Thai in the population. More resorts, hotels, jetskis need urgently, mothers and fathers get to work as we need more daughters for the bars. The world economy must be booming with more and more farangs able to afford overseas holidays.

You are correct the birth rate is way down and soon there will not be enough women in Thailand to take care of the major hub that has been created over the years. About your last point I don't think it is the world economy. I think it is the Asian economy that is mainly effecting Thailand. I realize most Farangs think the world rises and sets on their ... but it's not really the case here is it?

http://en.wikipedia....ism_in_Thaila

Edited by mancub

No prizes for guessing where wikipedia gets it's information from ....the only official source ,perhaps ?

No prizes for guessing where wikipedia gets it's information from ....the only official source ,perhaps ?

So what are the correct numbers? I mean I understand you are saying someone is not being truthful but to do that you have to present the truth.smile.png

Maybe you do misunderstand me .....I think you'll find that I have neither denied nor contested the figures from TAT and have not accused anyone of being untruthful, merely stating that TAT are the only body privvy to the data , so you have no avenue to dispute their claims .... You either accept and believe what they declare or you don't !

Some clearly prefer to believe everything that's presented to them , others like to question .....doesn't make you necessarily right or wrong either way .

• Like 1

Maybe you do misunderstand me .....I think you'll find that I have neither denied nor contested the figures from TAT and have not accused anyone of being untruthful, merely stating that TAT are the only body privvy to the data , so you have no avenue to dispute their claims .... You either accept and believe what they declare or you don't !

Some clearly prefer to believe everything that's presented to them , others like to question .....doesn't make you necessarily right or wrong either way .

In other words you don't dispute the numbers you are only pointing out that they may be disputed. No offense intended but you are being silly. Tell me what are the odds that a person who agreed with the numbers would have written what you wrote? smile.png

In other words you don't dispute the numbers you are only pointing out that they may be disputed. No offense intended but you are being silly. Tell me what are the odds that a person who agreed with the numbers would have written what you wrote? smile.png

Very few in this country do believe TATs figures are correct/ most wouldn't care a toss as they have no idea about tourism. If it was ever possible to do an accurate read out, then it could be argued about. Because so many of arrival cards are not telling us who they are and what reason they have to cross the border/airport...or the length of stay/transit, work, cross shopping,visa runs,business trips etc. then we have the predicted figures a year in advance, then which countries are visiting most, and how much they are spending every day---bullsh#t

Now I visited south Jomptien beach 4 days ago, sat in a deck chair, the smell from the sea was not pleasant and floating on top of the water was plastic condoms milk cartons, you name it, not just in a 1 place but the kilometer i could sea, also the sand was full of the stuff washed up. Laying amongst the tip was russian tourists, and swimming in the sea.

Now TAT get off your rears and put pressure on the resorts. Tourists will not come back if they see this,and you will not be able to give good future figures out. I live here and this is disgusting and the worst by far i have ever seen the sea here, Koh Lahn is paradise to this.

Edited by ginjag

That's tremendous news. Well done Thailand, TAT and PM Yingluck.

Just one thing, these figures didn't come from Kittirat's office did they?

These numbers are coming out of someones behind...

When you see tourism numbers you must remember they are as authentic as the smiles here, the hair color, and the muay Thai.

Thailand's economy is booming as well as tourism. Why would you think this is not the case?

And as authentic as a TV post defending the indefensible. There were solcitations for foreigners to do what you are doing, scour the blogs and write favorable posts to refute without substantiation posts seen as counter to the "amazing dream" and make money in the process. That would make it a a job, working in Thailand, which begs the question whether your work permit actually covers propaganda writing?

No offence taken , but I am not being silly , I am not pointing out that the numbers may be "disputed ", but that if you bother to investigate further into them then you can interpretate them in many ways . Many people will argue the headline figure simply because they will interpret it as 23 million tourists flying into Thailand for a 2 week holiday and therefore question it .

These numbers are coming out of someones behind...

When you see tourism numbers you must remember they are as authentic as the smiles here, the hair color, and the muay Thai.

Thailand's economy is booming as well as tourism. Why would you think this is not the case?

And as authentic as a TV post defending the indefensible. There were solcitations for foreigners to do what you are doing, scour the blogs and write favorable posts to refute without substantiation posts seen as counter to the "amazing dream" and make money in the process. That would make it a a job, working in Thailand, which begs the question whether your work permit actually covers propaganda writing?

Standard & Poor’s Rating Services has affirmed Thailand’s stable outlook on long-term foreign and local currency ratings, citing a favourable external position, light government indebtedness and the credibility of the country’s monetary policy as the main rating supports. Do you think Standard and Poor's writes propaganda for Thailand too?

• Like 1

Very few in this country do believe TATs figures are correct/ most wouldn't care a toss as they have no idea about tourism. If it was ever possible to do an accurate read out, then it could be argued about. Because so many of arrival cards are not telling us who they are and what reason they have to cross the border/airport...or the length of stay/transit, work, cross shopping,visa runs,business trips etc. then we have the predicted figures a year in advance, then which countries are visiting most, and how much they are spending every day---bullsh#t

Now I visited south Jomptien beach 4 days ago, sat in a deck chair, the smell from the sea was not pleasant and floating on top of the water was plastic condoms milk cartons, you name it, not just in a 1 place but the kilometer i could sea, also the sand was full of the stuff washed up. Laying amongst the tip was russian tourists, and swimming in the sea.

Now TAT get off your rears and put pressure on the resorts. Tourists will not come back if they see this,and you will not be able to give good future figures out. I live here and this is disgusting and the worst by far i have ever seen the sea here, Koh Lahn is paradise to this.

While everyone is welcome to their opinion, you should consider that numbers are not simply derived by arrival cards (not to mention their are departure cards whose numbers correlate with the arrival card) and that average amount of money spent has nothing do with these cards. Based on the indisputable fact that foreign visitors to Thailand continues to increase at a rapid trend and that a significant number of visitors are repeat visitors and here to enjoy the beautiful resort beaches Thailand has to offer, it is safe to assume not many are looking for or finding condemns floating on the water. We all choose to see what we want to see and if tourists are looking for beautiful beaches and waters in Thailand then chances are they are not going to be visiting the areas adjacent to Pattaya were they will be more likely to run across such things as used condemns from their fellow foreign visitors headed to Pattaya for cheap thrills they can't find at home.

Edited by Nisa

Just out of interest Nisa , as we're already off topic slightly ....how does TAT market Pattaya ,given the undisputable fact that it is a haven for disgusting foreign visitors and local sex workers ?

Just out of interest Nisa , as we're already off topic slightly ....how does TAT market Pattaya ,given the undisputable fact that it is a haven for disgusting foreign visitors and local sex workers ?

The new Central mall is the nicest in Thailand and attracts thousands of Thais from Bangkok every weekend as do the luxury hotels that are all over Pattaya. The only indisputable fact is you don't know much about Pattaya. You are ten years out of date.smile.png

• Like 1

Well everyone is welcome to their opinion, you should consider that numbers are not simply derived by arrival cards (not to mention their are departure cards whose numbers correlate with the arrival card) and that average amount of money spent has nothing do with these cards. Based on the indisputable fact that foreign visitors to Thailand continues to increase at a rapid trend and that a significant number of visitors are repeat visitors and here to enjoy the beautiful resort beaches Thailand has to offer, it is safe to assume not many are looking for or finding condemns floating on the water. We all choose to see what we want to see and if tourists are looking for beautiful beaches and waters in Thailand then chances are they are not going to be visiting the areas adjacent to Pattaya were they will be more likely to run across such things as used condemns from their fellow foreign visitors headed to Pattaya for cheap thrills they can't find at home.

I have been away for a while, and upon my return I see this report of tourism.

You said I can believe what I want, I do not believe most of the propaganda thats put out YOU soak it all up in defense. Just typical of you trying to explain best you can about predictions and figures the thing that your best at--you think

I praised Thailand on another thread this week for a superb beach and clean sea at Koh Lahn off Pattaya--great. You don't read my positive stuff, only slag people when they comment on the sorry side saying they are anti thai or other rubbish.

I mentioned Jomptien because I was shocked- not cause I wanted to slag off Thailand.

tourists can go to other nicer spots that the picture you paint Pattaya-but you Chinese-tourists are pouring in here in Pattaya--Hope they didn't see Jomptien beach.

One other point here is Pattaya /jomptien must be up and amonst the most visited by all --so look up your stats and find out. Do you still Pattaya to be a place for sex tourists?? if so you are out of touch. I am saying clean the massive Jomptien area up--it IS important for TAT---understand my concern before your ranting about arrival and departure fill ins.

The new Central mall is the nicest in Thailand and attracts thousands of Thais from Bangkok every weekend as do the luxury hotels that are all over Pattaya. The only indisputable fact is you don't know much about Pattaya. You are ten years out of date.smile.png

Because it is close to Bangkok, it does gets a lot of local visitors who want to be near the water for a short holiday but I really doubt there are many folks traveling to Thailand heading to Pattaya for the beaches or shopping. Most simply just want to experience it because of its more adult orientated reputation as a part of their trip. I would have to guess there are few people who come to Thailand to spend the majority of their time in Pattaya that are not their for the more adult orientated activities for lack of a better description.

In which case there must be no prostitution happening there any more these days then ...nope ,only good old fashioned family fun to be had , and only well heeled visitors . I am sooo behind the times ! All these other threads on Pattaya must be figments of all our collected imaginations , in your book then ?

Many people may also consider the new Termial 21 at Asoke as the nicest mall in Thailand . Maybe you don't much about Bangkok , but I won't declare it as an indisputable fact .

Nisa Pattaya has. Chinese tourists by the thousands, floating market Numerous elephant trkking/safaris, tiffany's Alkazar, look up how many hotels and g/h there are, 2 airports, the main port is near,underwater sea world golf here is second to none, w/e tourist from Bkk to here and Bang Saen, tiger zoo at Sri Ratcha jomptien is massive it is as big as pattaya near, Where the royals used to come to swim, you see you read and tar it with a tainted brush, it's never been beatiful and can never be but it put Thailand on the map and will still be here when many places are done for. of course living in Udon I do not know about it.

It is TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) not TAS (Tourism Authority of Suvarnabhumi) Their figures are based on all International flights Phuket,Samui for example and then of course land border entries.

I still disagree with their juggling of figures as i have been living here on the island of Koh Phangan for 9 years and it's getting quieter each year. It does of course have a few busy months during the year,but on general at times it's all very quiet. Even Hadd Rin other than full moon itself is pretty quiet after those few days building up to it and after it.

I do not live in Hadd Rin but do occasionally go to the party,24 parties in just over 9 years to be exact and these do not have the numbers attended as lets say 7-8 years ago.It makes me laugh when i see a 2012 tourist guide book quoting 30,000-40,000 people... get real!! it's more like 6-10K depending on which months these days. By the way i'm age 47 and it's not as bad as all you full moon party basher's make out. I would rather go for a night out there than sit in a bar with a load of screaming thai girls telling me i smell beautiful,oh you handsome man etc then deal with the sex tourist who has just had his heart broken then loosing the plot.. Sorry i know i went off topic but do not bash it, until you look at your own environment!

As said land border crossing are also in their figures,i am on a Non O visa and because of not being the age of 50 still after 9 years put my life at risk every 90 days to cross a border.I am ONE person but in their figures of my entry 2011-2012 i have visited Thailand SIX times during this period.

This year my 1 year (15 months) visa expired September and wanted another month before monsoon came,so i took a plane Suratthani-KL for 2 days then back for a month.

I then because of my restrictions fly back to the UK in October to obtain a new visa,on Tuesday 11th i arrived back at Suvarnabhumi,so theoretically i am a tourist SEVEN times.... Quite simple how they achieve their figures of 23 million!

• Like 2

Who are you that you would know? Did you go to Pattaya and Chiang Mai and Phuket during those months?

I was in Bangkok (where I live), Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi during that period.

The whole country was empty due to the protests going on in Bangkok.

Great bargains on hotel rooms (we ended up travelling for 4-5 weeks instead of the few days we originally planned). Everywhere, and I mean everywhere was empty and begging for custom.

Bargains for sure, but the country was empty during that period. As anyone that was here can testify (you obviously weren't).

• Like 1