Pajero Sport Help

AsianPedro

Hello, getting a new '13 Pajero Sport soon. I'm looking at getting 20" wheels, Lenso, 265/55, tire? Could use some recommendations on what tire I should get. Also, any recommendations on suspension and brakes. Want to look good, but be safe. Won't be driving crazy, 130-140 kph at the most (passing, freaking sugar cane trucks). Thank you in advance.

Not worried about warranty...

Sorry to scare you Jeff, promise I won't be driving that fast normally, only when passing, and that's a high estimate

Your not worried about warranty. ? rolleyes.gif

If there is an issue, can't I just put the originals back on before I take it in?

Not worried about warranty...

Sorry to scare you Jeff, promise I won't be driving that fast normally, only when passing, and that's a high estimate

Your not worried about warranty. ? rolleyes.gif

If there is an issue, can't I just put the originals back on before I take it in?

Let us know,if that will work...smile.png

What! You lose complete vehicle warranty just changing wheels.... Really?

sent from my Q6

Change the wheels, you could lose your warranty. sad.png

On a Mitsu, changing wheels will lose the factory warranty on the diff, transfer case and brakes... but only if someone at the servicing dealership gets anal about it - it's very rarely enforced like this.

Back to the OP's question, the Yokohama Advan ST and Parada Spec-X's are both very highly regarded tires for PPV's/SUV's - the Parada's are a very balanced tire for noise/comfort/grip, the Advan's a little noisier (minor) and more focussed towards grip.

The Toyo's are also highly regarded if you're looking for a cheaper comfort oriented tire that will help offset the lower profile.

Note that you can also go up to 275/55R20's on the Pajero Sport, which will give you back more sidewall and fill out the wheel wells a little more too.

As for suspension, the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks/springs/bushes upgrade really does take handling and comfort up a level, but also increases the ride height. TEIN make a spring set for the Pajero which lowers it ~2" but ride quality goes out the window. Inbetween these extremes you have a wide selection of aftermarket shocks and springs to choose from, depending on what your goals are. If going down this path, make sure you select a shop that can either arrange a test drive in a car they've modded before (Thai's love to come back to the shop and show off their mods), or will keep swapping parts until you're satisfied...

• Like 1

What! You lose complete vehicle warranty just changing wheels.... Really?

sent from my Q6

Change the wheels, you could lose your warranty. sad.png

On a Mitsu, changing wheels will lose the factory warranty on the diff, transfer case and brakes... but only if someone at the servicing dealership gets anal about it - it's very rarely enforced like this.

Back to the OP's question, the Yokohama Advan ST and Parada Spec-X's are both very highly regarded tires for PPV's/SUV's - the Parada's are a very balanced tire for noise/comfort/grip, the Advan's a little noisier (minor) and more focussed towards grip.

The Toyo's are also highly regarded if you're looking for a cheaper comfort oriented tire that will help offset the lower profile.

Note that you can also go up to 275/55R20's on the Pajero Sport, which will give you back more sidewall and fill out the wheel wells a little more too.

As for suspension, the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks/springs/bushes upgrade really does take handling and comfort up a level, but also increases the ride height. TEIN make a spring set for the Pajero which lowers it ~2" but ride quality goes out the window. Inbetween these extremes you have a wide selection of aftermarket shocks and springs to choose from, depending on what your goals are. If going down this path, make sure you select a shop that can either arrange a test drive in a car they've modded before (Thai's love to come back to the shop and show off their mods), or will keep swapping parts until you're satisfied...

FINALLY....thank you sir

I have a 2011 PJS 4WD with 20 inch wheels and 275/55 Yokohama Parada Spec X tyres. These are very good highway tyres with better steering feel, grip and ride than the OEM Bridgestone HTs. Grip on dirt is OK but not so good in mud, like most highway tyres. The down side is they wear faster than the Bridgestones (~60,000 km life instead of 90,000 km on Bridgestones).

The 275/55x20 tyres are at the normal limit of increased diameter (~104%). Be careful with the wheel off set to keep clearance to the front inner guard and avoid throwing mud over the side of the car.

The standard brakes and suspension with this wheel and tyre combination are OK for me in typical Thai up country driving conditions. Steering is a little heavier and slightly more pedal effort is needed to bring the ABS in. Bigger front brake rotors would be good if you want to change. Better suspension and Advans would be great for aggressive or high speed driving (not recommended where I drive) but off road capability would be more limited.

The 275/55x20 size is not common so choice is limited from tyre shops near me. 265/50x20 is more readily available but I reckon the profile of these looks a bit too low. There are other tyres for 18inch wheels that may be a good choice as well.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

The 275/55x20 tyres are at the normal limit of increased diameter (~104%). Be careful with the wheel off set to keep clearance to the front inner guard and avoid throwing mud over the side of the car.

Yes, watch the offset or you'll have a very dirty PJS - and it's very dangerous when driving through water as it'll splash straight onto the windscreen..

Also, when fitting the wheels, be 100% sure they fit hub rings (800-1500 Baht extra) - Mitsu hubs are smaller than aftermarket rims so w/out these you be riding on studs only.

And lastly, if the offset is changing (likely) I would highly recommend getting the front wheels re-aligned and on-car balanced (ie.. how they balance heavy goods vehicle wheels) - this will cost you another 600-800 Baht, but will be needed to get a totally shake-free ride at high speeds.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I have a 3.2 Lt 4x4 pajero sport GT. My advice is to save your money. Just change your tyres to MICHILIN LATTITUDE CROSS, these tyres are made in Poland and will increase the handling and braking immensely. I have done 100,000 K's now, 80,000 0n the origional Bridgestones and now 20,000 on the Michelin's. The wet weather performance is 100% better, in fact i have more confidence in 2 wheel drive now than i had in 4 wheel drive on the Bridgestones, and i drive at the speeds you mention in the wet or dry although i don't recommend others to do this unless you have the training. The wear factor seems excellent and there is no increase in road noise compared to the Bridgestone Highway Tyre origionally fitted and they have a higher speed rating. These Michilins have a varying Tread Pattern across their face similar to the 1972 Michilin XAS Radial which i used to race on before the arrival of Slick Racing Tyres and the performance of the XAS over the proceeding Michelin X is comparable to that of the Lattitude Cross over the Bridgestones. So spend your money on tricking up your car and save on the 20in wheels.

I have a 3.2 Lt 4x4 pajero sport GT. My advice is to save your money. Just change your tyres to MICHILIN LATTITUDE CROSS, these tyres are made in Poland and will increase the handling and braking immensely. I have done 100,000 K's now, 80,000 0n the origional Bridgestones and now 20,000 on the Michelin's. The wet weather performance is 100% better, in fact i have more confidence in 2 wheel drive now than i had in 4 wheel drive on the Bridgestones, and i drive at the speeds you mention in the wet or dry although i don't recommend others to do this unless you have the training. The wear factor seems excellent and there is no increase in road noise compared to the Bridgestone Highway Tyre origionally fitted and they have a higher speed rating. These Michilins have a varying Tread Pattern across their face similar to the 1972 Michilin XAS Radial which i used to race on before the arrival of Slick Racing Tyres and the performance of the XAS over the proceeding Michelin X is comparable to that of the Lattitude Cross over the Bridgestones. So spend your money on tricking up your car and save on the 20in wheels.

thanks for your input, I really don't want to "trick" up my car, I like the factory look other than the wheels. well that and the exhaust has got to go.

thanks for your input, I really don't want to "trick" up my car, I like the factory look other than the wheels. well that and the exhaust has got to go.

My exhaust went in the first 3 months, changed the muffler and fitted twin pipes with japanese stainless steel tail pipes. I think there are still photoes under Pinstriping in this forum. Cost of Muffler, Twin pipes and tail pipes 5,500 baht. Done in Khon Kaen.
  • Like 1

My exhaust went in the first 3 months, changed the muffler and fitted twin pipes with japanese stainless steel tail pipes. I think there are still photoes under Pinstriping in this forum. Cost of Muffler, Twin pipes and tail pipes 5,500 baht. Done in Khon Kaen.

nice, that's what I am thinking, or ralliart makes a kit, but it is 10k I think

just checked out your pics, very nice. I've got family in Mukdarharn, next time I am there I'll need to check out your ride in person

just checked out your pics, very nice. I've got family in Mukdarharn, next time I am there I'll need to check out your ride in person

I'm at www. mukdahan-manor.com The best B&B in Mukdahan along with the Best Restaurant in the Province, Check out our website for the Menu.