Optical Mouse Misbehavior

paulfr

My mouse is driving me crazy.

If I click (press and release) slowly, it thinks I have double clicked.

If I click very fast, it is ok.

I tried changing the settings with the Synaptics toolbar menu

and with the control panel. I have a Compaq laptop.

Anyone ever had a mouse get a mind of its own ???

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by paulfr

My mouse is driving me crazy.

If I click (press and release) slowly, it thinks I have double clicked.

If I click very fast, it is ok.

I tried changing the settings with the Synaptics toolbar menu

and with the control panel. I have a Compaq laptop.

Anyone ever had a mouse get a mind of its own ???

Thanks for any suggestions.

First check that you have the latest software for your mouse. To me it seems that you are using the touchpads software for your mouse settings. As i said, get the right software for your mouse and i think you`ll be fine.

Secondly, if your mouse is wireless, bad reception from the mouse to the USB reciever could make some problems too.

Jalla

I've had similar problems with two mice (mouses?). The first was an I-Feel Logitech mouse and the second was an A4-Tech wireless optical mouse and there was nothing wrong with the drivers and, each time, the problem was with the left button. Its a real nuisance, isn't it? I ditched the Logitech mouse, which was gettin on anyway, and bought the A4-Tech mouse. The problem with the A4-Tech mouse started two weeks before the warranty was due to expire and Wattana (opposite Foodland in Pattaya) sent the mouse to Bangkok to be repaired. Wattana have always given me first class service and, this time, they lent me a mouse during the repair. The mouse was returned "fit and well". So, if your mouse is out of warranty, you may have to dump it and buy another otherwise the problem will get worse. Eventually, clicking any link will open the link many times. On one occasion, I opened a website ten times with one left click!!!!

But first try Jalla's suggestion.

The microswitches on a mouse are usually the first thing to go, especially on the left mouse button, which is pressed the most. They're mechanical moving parts which are used often, so this is no surprise. Solution? Get a quality mouse. Logitech and Microsoft make the longest-lasting mice (I still have MS mice from 10 years back, which work perfectly). However, their cheapest mice (500-600 baht ones) should be avoided.

If you're cheap, and have a few soldering skills, you can open up your mouse and switch the microswitches between the left and right (or, if present, middle) buttons. I've done this a few times, and I've even done a bit of microswitch surgery when I didn't have a soldering iron... I opened up the microswitches and transplanted the faulty bits. And of course, these were el-cheapo no-name mice... these mice I don't expect to last more than a year of normal use, some not even 6 months.

People sometimes put too much priority on the wrong things. A great $$$$ computer is not going to be a lot of fun to use if your 100 baht freebie mouse acts up all the time. Same goes for the keyboard. Another seriously overlooked component is the monitor... it's what you stare at the whole time you use your computer, so you should spend a bit more than a couple thousand on it. Going blind using a low grade monitor isn't going to be good for your finances.