Direct Flights Thailand To North America

Chao Lao Beach

I am fairly certain TG ended their direct, non-stop service between BKK and LAX (TG 794/795) in MAy of last year (2012), replacing it with one-stop service via ICN.

These long, thin routes were doomed from the get-go, even SQ couldn't sustain them.

Not sure what TG has done with the A340-500's? I think they've tried to sell/lease them? http://www.prthaiairways.com/en/news/node/144.html

• Like 1

The old non stop BKK/LAX, and LAX/BKK has been eliminated as of May last year as the previous poster has stated. The new routing not only forces you to get off the plane at Inchon, go through security once again, to return to the same plane and seat, but now you must depart BKK at 07:30 and arrive in LAX at 2 PM, the same day. Making a connection to the East Coast almost impossible unless you don't mind getting in to an East Coast airport at 10 or 11 PM

The reverse is also true since there is no way to get a flight from the East Coast to get you to LAX in time to make the 2:30 PM departure to BKK, so a hotel in LA is required

No more TG for this traveller. Their high prices coupled with this new inconvenient scheduled has soured me on this airline. When questioned about the new schedule the company line is that they couldn't make enough money on the Airbus that used to traverse the route. If they didn't give every Thai that smiled a free upgrade then they probably could have made money on it

The reverse is also true since there is no way to get a flight from the East Coast to get you to LAX in time to make the 2:30 PM departure to BKK, so a hotel in LA is required

This doesn't make any sense given the 3 hour time advantage. It should be fairly easy to make a 14:30 departure at LAX from the east coast, especially if can stay airside. I routinely travel BOS-LAX/SFO-NRT-BKK making a connection at SFO or LAX in the 11:30 - 13:00 time-frame. This does require a 06:00 - 08:00 departure of course.

I do agree on the LAX connection east-bound as you may even be forced onto a red-eye given the time to clear Immigration and get from the TBIT to a domestic terminal.

I think TG was just looking at the O/D traffic for BKK-LAX, relying on code-shares for more comprehensive service?

SQ couldn't run these long, thin routes profitably even with all business class.

I flew BKK-JFK one time on the TG direct, non-stop flight, ~ 17.5 hours, thankfully in business class.

to clear up your minds; in airline lingo DIRECT does NOT mean Nonstop-in that case nonstop would be the word used. Direct means what in US-english is named a 1seat-ride.-so always be alarmed when airlines use this word, as it will mean an intermediate stop.

Thus the other airline is former NWA-now merged as DL- via TYO- the ultimate destination in US may vary-in TYO they interchange with loads of other flights from otehr Asian points.

I am fairly certain TG ended their direct, non-stop service between BKK and LAX (TG 794/795) in MAy of last year (2012), replacing it with one-stop service via ICN.

These long, thin routes were doomed from the get-go, even SQ couldn't sustain them.

Not sure what TG has done with the A340-500's? I think they've tried to sell/lease them? http://www.prthaiair...s/node/144.html

I didn't know about this. I usually fly out of SFO when going overseas.

This doesn't make any sense given the 3 hour time advantage. It should be fairly easy to make a 14:30 departure at LAX from the east coast, especially if can stay airside. I routinely travel BOS-LAX/SFO-NRT-BKK making a connection at SFO or LAX in the 11:30 - 13:00 time-frame. This does require a 06:00 - 08:00 departure of course.

I do agree on the LAX connection east-bound as you may even be forced onto a red-eye given the time to clear Immigration and get from the TBIT to a domestic terminal.

I think TG was just looking at the O/D traffic for BKK-LAX, relying on code-shares for more comprehensive service?

SQ couldn't run these long, thin routes profitably even with all business class.

I flew BKK-JFK one time on the TG direct, non-stop flight, ~ 17.5 hours, thankfully in business class.

If you don't mind leaving the US East Coast a 06:00 you can make the LAX / BKK flight at 14:30 but I have few friends that will get me to the airport in order to depart that early, despite your pronounced 3 hour time advantage