Tea Money Quick Reference Guide

Seems that we are only talking traffic violations regarding 'tea-money'.

If this included the 'tea-money' paid at immigration offices then the site could well go into meltdown.

Don't understand why we call it 'Tea Money'. Most Thai's do not drink tea.

Should maybe change to 'Beer Money'

Don't see what you would be giving money to Immigration for, you either qualify for an extension or you don't. Same goes for a multi entry, you either have a wife and or kids or you don't. Jim

If only life was that simple . . .

"Tea money" is paid to speed processes along and to mitigate any potential problems or issues that might (unexpectedly) crop up during any of these processes or applications. Stand in line for 4 hours to get something done, or pay a little tea money and jump to the front of the queue and get things dealt with more quickly.

Not where I live you don't, you just put the paper work in and it's done. Makes no difference if it's done fast or slow, not going anywhere. Jim

If this included the 'tea-money' paid at immigration offices then the site could well go into meltdown.

Don't see what you would be giving money to Immigration for, you either qualify for an extension or you don't. Same goes for a multi entry, you either have a wife and or kids or you don't. Jim

Jim

So in all your time here you have not bumped into an official who simply REFUSES to do his job unless he was paid?

Qualify or not qualify are meaningless terms if the person who has to stamp your application or process your forms simply refuses to do so unless he or she is paid?

Jim

So in all your time here you have not bumped into an official who simply REFUSES to do his job unless he was paid?

Qualify or not qualify are meaningless terms if the person who has to stamp your application or process your forms simply refuses to do so unless he or she is paid?

In my ten years here I never have.

If only life was that simple . . .

"Tea money" is paid to speed processes along and to mitigate any potential problems or issues that might (unexpectedly) crop up during any of these processes or applications. Stand in line for 4 hours to get something done, or pay a little tea money and jump to the front of the queue and get things dealt with more quickly.

Not where I live you don't, you just put the paper work in and it's done. Makes no difference if it's done fast or slow, not going anywhere. Jim

If you've never experienced this, then you are one of the very lucky ones.

In my experiences here, both business and personal, your paperwork for anything could be 100% correct, but they will often find something "wrong" with it, or ask for additional unnecessary paperwork, all with the intention of you suggesting that perhaps things could be speeded along with a small payment.

Jim

No, never paid, think there are even signs at my local border crossing and Immigration saying report corruption and a phone number.

Never really met one who refused to do his job, just the opposite seemed more than willing to help. I may be just a nice guy and bring out the best in people. Jim

Can only speak for myself, but have a Limited Partnership rubber factory, just renewed our factory license [5 years]

When starting had to get EPA, Health and safety and factories certified, a rubber processing license. Was never asked for any thing other than the scheduled fees.

Even when we were getting our factory license renewed, the people there told us we didn't have to pay the full amount as we are in an economic development zone. They could have pocketed the extra money. When they came out to do the inspection to make sure you haven't done anything IE built new buildings added extra machines without informing them. They drove in had a walk around, got back in the car and left without a word.

Could be that things are just different in this part of Issan. Jim

Jim, where in Isaan do you live? I always thought I was in one of the remotest parts. To my knowledge the nearest farang is about 20 kms away.

Incidentally, during the 18 months I have lived here, I have been stopped by the police countless time, but only once fined (200 baht) for an out of date road fund license, and that was in Hua Hin. The police in my patch are pretty nice and seem to spend most of their time collecting telephone numbers from pretty girls.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Mr Yim

Jim, where in Isaan do you live? I always thought I was in one of the remotest parts. To my knowledge the nearest farang is about 20 kms away.

Incidentally, during the 18 months I have lived here, I have been stopped by the police countless time, but only once fined (200 baht) for an out of date road fund license, and that was in Hua Hin. The police in my patch are pretty nice and seem to spend most of their time collecting telephone numbers from pretty girls.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As farangs go in Issan, I probably live in the most remte place you can. Up against the Lao land border, north of the Emerald Triangle in a small jungle village. Factory though is on the 2248 road south of the big city of Buntharik. Jim

Tea money, 90% urban myth, 10% fact, location and the individual concerned are variables, in my case in Chiang Mai it's 100% and 0%..

Bangkok is very different then lol . . . and in my experiences here it's made no difference whether it's been a Thai or a foreigner dealing with things, the result is the same.

I don;t have a wife or kids yet have a multi entry extension, how is that possible ?

I don;t have a wife or kids yet have a multi entry extension, how is that possible ?

No wife or kids either and I also have multiple entry 1 year extension. Company paperwork 100% correct and legit, but they wanted to give me only 3 month extension, not 1 year. That took tea money to sort out even though I am entitled to a 1 year. Same every year, different faces in some cases but tea money expected all the same.

No idea, but will guess it is not a 1 year multiple entry. You filled in the forums what did it say. Jim

No wife or kids either and I also have multiple entry 1 year extension. Company paperwork 100% correct and legit, but they wanted to give me only 3 month extension, not 1 year. That took tea money to sort out even though I am entitled to a 1 year. Same every year, different faces in some cases but tea money expected all the same.

You have lost me there, Multiple entry is issued outside of Thailand by the Embassy, it's a visa not an extension of stay, issued by immigration dept. Are you saying you paid tea money in your home country or are you talking WP. Jim

No idea, but will guess it is not a 1 year multiple entry. You filled in the forums what did it say. Jim

Its actually a 2 year multi entry attached to my 2 year extension based on employment and no I did not fill in the forms. The HR dept takes care of all that and I just front at one stop to smile and sign some papers.

Edited by Spoonman

• 2 weeks later...