Tea Money Quick Reference Guide

The collection of tea money is a common practice here in Thailand.

Anyone who has spent significant time here or who lives here permanently would have already bumped into this issue.

To help us better understand the commercial nuances of this feature of the Thai landscape, this thread may be used to provide examples of the facts surrounding a request for, or the provision of, a tea money payment.

I will start the ball rolling

Facts: Pulled up on NYE 2012 around 7pm at a Police checkpoint. Told that I was not wearing my seat belt. I was. Asked to produce my licence which was then taken from me.

Payment demanded: 2000THB

Payment made: 500THB

"Facts: Pulled up on NYE 2012 around 7pm at a Police checkpoint. Told that I was not wearing my seat belt. I was. Asked to produce my licence which was then taken from me.

Payment made: 500THB"

Not a good deal.

I was stopped for not wearing a seat belt also (I honestly didnt know it was required: when one sees motorcycles carrying entire families of people without helmets, one wonders what on earth the government is worrying about seat belts for).

The officer suggested I pay 1000B to settle it. I offered 100B. He asked for 500B. I said no.

He gave me a ticket and the next day I went to the police station where I paid the official fine: 400B. It took me about 3 minutes.

• Like 2

yep

"Facts: Pulled up on NYE 2012 around 7pm at a Police checkpoint. Told that I was not wearing my seat belt. I was. Asked to produce my licence which was then taken from me.

Payment made: 500THB"

and if you had asked them to write a ticket they would have charged 400 baht but you have to go into the station to pay and get your lic. back. My wife took off her belt and forgot to put it back on and I had not noticed it yet, happens to often - I was seen at the light and waved over. He wrote the ticket and I drove directly into the station. They had to call the officer on the radio to bring in the lic in right away - we paid a reduced ticket of only 200 for being so fast and only spend 20 minutes. We also got a receipt.

"The collection of tea money is a common practice here in Thailand" and the offering of it is a worse problem and the main source of the problem to start with. How many are going to tell us about the extra 100 they hand over with the lic. when stopped

• Like 1

Yep got pulled up in laem chabang for the missus not wearing a kanock

i told her to put one on before we left she said not far dont worry we got

200 meters pulled over 200 baht fine and had to go to police station to get my licence back

moral of story if you are farang they will definetly look at you as an atm machine

so be prepared to get stopped often especially near the end of the month.

when I was working at the Thai Navy Base at Sattahip I got stopped for speeding. .... said I was late for work..... when I told the officer where I worked and who for.... he apologised and waved me on

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Out my way they have an army golf club. Well not out my way 140 km to town. They have an army sticker so you can park and enter the army base. Cops see the sticker and a guy with short hair, you get a salute and waved on. Just how things work, Not a tourist area. Jim

when I was working at the Thai Navy Base at Sattahip I got stopped for speeding. .... said I was late for work..... when I told the officer where I worked and who for.... he apologised and waved me on

Out my way they have an army golf club. Well not out my way 140 km to town. They have an army sticker so you can park and enter the army base. Cops see the sticker and a guy with short hair, you get a salute and waved on. Just how things work, Not a tourist area. Jim

Totally off topic, but I applaud the use of the army to be engaged in the upkeep of golf courses. This is by far the best use of soldiers I have ever come across.

Pity the west can't follow this outstanding Thai achievement.

And I am not taking the piss.

Yes, a pitty that all soldiers could not lay down their arms and take up green keeping. What a beautiful world it would be. Jim
  • Like 1

Totally off topic, but I applaud the use of the army to be engaged in the upkeep of golf courses. This is by far the best use of soldiers I have ever come across.

Yes, a pitty that all soldiers could not lay down their arms and take up green keeping. What a beautiful world it would be. Jim

And the Navy could run fishing charters.

Oh?

"The Pentagon, for example, runs a staggering 234 golf courses around the world, at a cost that is undisclosed."

And many of these golf courses (counted as 1 - have more than one 18 hole course per facility)

An other thing to make life easy, if you work for the Government in a job of position, you can stick a big badge on the front of the car telling the world you are some one.

Cops generally don't like hassling other Government employees, if you have a family member with some pull in the Government, get him to get you a badge.

If the cops pull you over and ask about the badge, just say you have no idea, the wife's farther put it there as he uses the car a lot.

In my case it's true, wife's father uses the car a lot more than me, think he thinks we bought it for him. Jim

Wow, I thought this thread would have got shut down by now . . . talking about bribery and corruption I thought was a no-no cheesy.gif

My 2 pennies . . . used to ride a sportsbike around BKK regularly . . . racing exhaust, very noisy, very quick . . . stopped at least once nearly every day by the BiB . . . big smile by me, helmet off, never tried to speak Thai with them, show the licence, never fined . . . though I did let the BiB occasionally take the bike for a spin up the road when they asked nicely cheesy.gif

I got pulled over a few weeks ago, policeman (in very good english) asked

Him - Licence Sir.

Me - <Hand over licence>

Him - Do you know what the speed limit is.

Me - 100km/h.

Him - 90km/h.

Me - Bugger my bad.

Him - you were doing 130km/h.

Me - whoops, how much is the fine officer.

Him - Ticket is 400b (and a trip to the police station to retrieve licence and pay fine), alternatively my fellow police officers would like a coffee, you buy us all one for 200b.

Me - Ok.

Service with a smile, I love it.

Edited by Spoonman

As I have said before, don't live in a tourist area, in fact probably one of the most remote farangs in Thailand. Been here a long time, was a cop once. The Thai police are as good as you get, usually happy to help, always seem happy and smiling.

Would rather deal with a Thai traffic cop than an Australian one, no leeway in OZ, you get a ticket.

I have never been booked in 10 years, don't speed or drink drive, obey the rules and treat the police with respect. Wife got done last year, out of our area. Her license had expired 6 months earlier. 200 Baht fine, paid at the police box set up by the road block.

Police issued a recipe and she was allowed to dirve home, plus a letter or paper that she had to renew her license in 5 or 7 days. If she was stopped again the letter covered her to drive.

Which western country would be so considerate, you would have been walking home or waiting for a licensed drive to come get your car and I would bet the fine was a lot more. Jim

• Like 2

Whilst I live in a tourist area at the time I was not in a tourist area, unless Kabin Buri is a tourist area these days.

Next time I'll take the ticket and waste my time paying the fine (200b more) and retrieving my licence, sound advice Mr Collister.

Edited by Spoonman

On the other hand, I've lived here full time for the past ten years and have driven many many miles, I've driven Chaing Mai/Phuket round trip five times and lots more besides. I've been stopped three times in those ten years and on each occaision I paid the fine rather than anything else, twice at the police station and once at a motorway road side speed trap collection point (fines entered into the book, license details recorded) - in all three examples I had no choice but to pay the fines although I suppose I could have solicited to pay slightly less to the officer but I didn't. So no, tea money as it relates to the traffic offenses is not that common as this thread might have you believe.

Wow, I thought this thread would have got shut down by now . . . talking about bribery and corruption I thought was a no-no ..

Maybe someone slipped the mods a few red notes?

Could be cheesy.gif . . . but we can't discuss it as it's against the rules clap2.gif

I got pulled over a few weeks ago, policeman (in very good english) asked

Him - Licence Sir.

Me - <Hand over licence>

Him - Do you know what the speed limit is.

Me - 100km/h.

Him - 90km/h.

Me - Bugger my bad.

Him - you were doing 130km/h.

Me - whoops, how much is the fine officer.

Him - Ticket is 400b (and a trip to the police station to retrieve licence and pay fine), alternatively my fellow police officers would like a coffee, you buy us all one for 200b.

Me - Ok.

Service with a smile, I love it.

Exactly how it works here . . . much better than losing your licence or getting points or a huge fine.

On the other hand, I've lived here full time for the past ten years and have driven many many miles, I've driven Chaing Mai/Phuket round trip five times and lots more besides. I've been stopped three times in those ten years and on each occaision I paid the fine rather than anything else, twice at the police station and once at a motorway road side speed trap collection point (fines entered into the book, license details recorded) - in all three examples I had no choice but to pay the fines although I suppose I could have solicited to pay slightly less to the officer but I didn't. So no, tea money as it relates to the traffic offenses is not that common as this thread might have you believe.

In those instances I simply say to the cop that I don't have time to go to the police station (as they usually state one that is FAR from where you are stopped). Once I've opened the door, then they can suggest to me that I pay the fine on the spot, they tell me the "price", I say it's too high, we haggle a little, I pay, job done, I'm on my merry way. All done in English, and always with a big, friendly smile on my face.

For me, it's just not worth the time and hassle to do it "properly", I'd rather pay "on the spot" and get it over and done with.

There is an Army golf course, open to public membership, near Aldershot in our very own UK smile.png

Ooops, off thread, but never mind.

Edited by Bpuumike

There is an Army golf course, open to public membership, near Aldershot in our very own UK smile.png

Ooops, off thread, but never mind.

Can you get a badge for your car there?

yup.... the Navy have a Golf Course and from time to time i would rent a Mini Bus and take a few officers out to other courses to have a change....great PR and no hassle

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seems that we are only talking traffic violations regarding 'tea-money'.

If this included the 'tea-money' paid at immigration offices then the site could well go into meltdown.

Don't understand why we call it 'Tea Money'. Most Thai's do not drink tea.

Should maybe change to 'Beer Money'

If this included the 'tea-money' paid at immigration offices then the site could well go into meltdown.

Don't see what you would be giving money to Immigration for, you either qualify for an extension or you don't. Same goes for a multi entry, you either have a wife and or kids or you don't. Jim

I believe it was called "tea money" originally because in the UK in the past, workers (at factories for example) used to buy their own "tea" and any "extra" money was put into the kitty for buying that tea. It was shared amongst all and used to buy the tea.

An interesting article here about "tea money":

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/print.php?id=3252

Don't see what you would be giving money to Immigration for, you either qualify for an extension or you don't. Same goes for a multi entry, you either have a wife and or kids or you don't. Jim

If only life was that simple . . .

"Tea money" is paid to speed processes along and to mitigate any potential problems or issues that might (unexpectedly) crop up during any of these processes or applications. Stand in line for 4 hours to get something done, or pay a little tea money and jump to the front of the queue and get things dealt with more quickly.