Going To Cambodia With Thai Gf - Visa Confusion

I've searched the forum for an answer to this - including "Where Can Thai People Go Without Visa?" above but found no up to date info.

So:

I’m a UK passport holder, presently in Thailand taking my Thai GF to Cambodia for a month in February.

I realise I need to buy a Tourist visa on arrival for myself at Phnom Penh Airport, and I believe that as we’re going for more than 14 days, she will need a visa too.

I’ve been told that the Cambodian authorities won’t issue her a visa on arrival but that I will need to go to immigration after the 14 days are up.

I would prefer, if possible, to politely but firmly insist on a month’s visa for her rather than mess about later especially as we won’t be in Phnom Penh at the 14 day point.

Does anyone have any recent experience in this area please?

Thanks in advance

VBF

Edited by VBF

My Thai gf and I arrived by air in Phnom Penh two weeks ago; I got the one month visa on arrival for $20 (scammers offering special service for $30) and the lady had to bypass that line - she got her stamp at the final counter. But it was only for 14 days. After enquiring an official told me Thailand is only giving Cambodians 14 days so they are doing the same. I asked about extending her stamp later, he shook his head no and said the cost for overstay was $5 per day paid on exit. And that was that.

If you end up insisting on her getting a visa let us know the result.

My Thai gf and I arrived by air in Phnom Penh two weeks ago; I got the one month visa on arrival for $20 (scammers offering special service for $30) and the lady had to bypass that line - she got her stamp at the final counter. But it was only for 14 days. After enquiring an official told me Thailand is only giving Cambodians 14 days so they are doing the same. I asked about extending her stamp later, he shook his head no and said the cost for overstay was $5 per day paid on exit. And that was that.

If you end up insisting on her getting a visa let us know the result.

Thanks NewGuy - I've sent you a PM. If you have the time to respond, I'd be grateful.

VBF

Edited by VBF

The page you requested cannot be found .... so much for THAT answer.

OK smart-arse, as you are clearly not capable of Googling yourself - try this one (it was definitely there 2 minutes ago!) tongue.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Thai_citizens

It is 14 days 'visa free', visa required for one month..........

The page you requested cannot be found .... so much for THAT answer.

The promised update:

I applied for both e-visas (hers and mine) on 23rd Jan - expected $50 payment taken from my CC within 30 minutes

Following morning at 9AM I received an email with MY e-Visa.

Checked on the website and mine was “Approved”, GF’s was “Pending”

This remained the case for a while so I sent several emails asking why if mine was approved so quickly, hers was taking a long time.

Finally today, 25th Jan, I received an email signed by the “Chief of e-Visa office” telling me that Thais do not need a visa for a 14-day stay, which we all know!

Luckily, he put his phone number in the email so I called him. I can only say what a pleasure it was to speak to the gentleman (he spoke excellent English) I explained the issue and he promised to issue GF’s visa “within one hour”

15 minutes later it arrived!

So, it can be done but be prepared to jump through a few hoops! biggrin.png

VBF

PS - Thank you NewGuy - at least you tried to offer constructive advice! clap2.gif

Edited by VBF

On putting "Where can thais go without visa?" into google, this huge amount of info, including many references to TV, comes up ->>>

https://www.google.c... without visa ?

Isn't that enough ?

NO! Because NOWHERE in that lot, does it explain what to do to get a visa for a month. If you read my OP you would see that was the issue and that I had already read that post on TV before I asked!

• 2 weeks later...

To finish off my portion of this thread, we exited at Poipet today. The Cambodian side line-up took 20 minutes plus another 10 minutes to process my gf's overstay. The Cambodian official noticed the overstay, confirmed the details with me, took the payment, then we walked across the road where she got her passport back and I got my change. There doesn't appear to be any stamp in her passport noting the fine. The Thai line up was slow, 2 hours 45 minutes. The Thai official gave my gf a piece of paper saying "Notice TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS. The Alien permitted to stay longer in the kingdom must notify your place of residence to the immigration office every 90 days. In case of application of temporary stay in the kingdom by TM7 you have notified your place of residence at the first time. Any Alien who fails to comply with will be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000.- Baht and with an Additional fine not exceeding 200.- Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with. ACCORDING TO IMMIGRATION ACT B.E. 2522 SECTION 76. To notify again on (here there is a stamp "06 MAY 2013" and an initial next to "(sign)........ Immigration officer". she was told that she had to report in the next 90 days or, before the date stamped.

How this note applies to a Thai citizen holding a Thai passport is beyond me.

To finish off my portion of this thread, we exited at Poipet today. The Cambodian side line-up took 20 minutes plus another 10 minutes to process my gf's overstay. The Cambodian official noticed the overstay, confirmed the details with me, took the payment, then we walked across the road where she got her passport back and I got my change. There doesn't appear to be any stamp in her passport noting the fine. The Thai line up was slow, 2 hours 45 minutes. The Thai official gave my gf a piece of paper saying "Notice TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS. The Alien permitted to stay longer in the kingdom must notify your place of residence to the immigration office every 90 days. In case of application of temporary stay in the kingdom by TM7 you have notified your place of residence at the first time. Any Alien who fails to comply with will be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000.- Baht and with an Additional fine not exceeding 200.- Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with. ACCORDING TO IMMIGRATION ACT B.E. 2522 SECTION 76. To notify again on (here there is a stamp "06 MAY 2013" and an initial next to "(sign)........ Immigration officer". she was told that she had to report in the next 90 days or, before the date stamped.

How this note applies to a Thai citizen holding a Thai passport is beyond me.

Thanks for roundiing the thread off New Guy.

Seems as if Cambodia don't cause problems but (as usual!) Thailand does!

That TM7 (or TM6) is what you should have in your passport as you are the "alien" - for your own peace of mind, I would suggest checking that yours is correct sooner rather than later - also check that your "Admitted until" date is appropriate for whatever visa you're on!!

VBF