Sansdisk Sansa "refurbished"?

giddyup

I was after an MP3 player that I could use for listening to audio books so started trawling Ebay. I see quite a few of the Sansdisk Sansa models in the UK that have supposedly been "refurbished" by Sansdisk. How would the company acquire all these used models for "refurbishing"?

To my knowledge a lot of companies do this sort of thing.Unsold or defective devices are sent back to the factory and get repaired or updated.You see it a lot with ISP's re-using old modems and routers.As your talking about Sansa,I'd highly recommend the Sansa Clip.Great little MP3 player.

To my knowledge a lot of companies do this sort of thing.Unsold or defective devices are sent back to the factory and get repaired or updated.You see it a lot with ISP's re-using old modems and routers.As your talking about Sansa,I'd highly recommend the Sansa Clip.Great little MP3 player.

Cheers!

The Sansa Clip is the player that hundreds of people on Amazon have complained about (to be fair hundreds more seem satisfied). Apparently they have a habit of just stopping working and some people have had replacements that also stopped working after a few months. I know you can't believe everything you read online but there are 183 1-star reviews for the SanDisk Sansa 8 GB model on the UK site and 607 on the US site (as of right now). Many of them mention similar symptoms....one day it doesn't power on any more and is as much use as a plastic brick.

The number of complaints would certainly go some way to explaining where they got all the players to refurbish, if they are true.

I was disappointed because I have been looking for a player that can handle FLACs and thought this was a good value option.

If you just want to listen to audiobooks, why not get any inexpensive mp3 player over here, like a Philips GoGear for example - 700 baht and plenty good enough for audiobooks; good enough for music too with a decent set of headphones?

Edited by inthepink

The Sansa Clip is the player that hundreds of people on Amazon have complained about (to be fair hundreds more seem satisfied). Apparently they have a habit of just stopping working and some people have had replacements that also stopped working after a few months. I know you can't believe everything you read online but there are 183 1-star reviews for the SanDisk Sansa 8 GB model on the UK site and 607 on the US site (as of right now). Many of them mention similar symptoms....one day it doesn't power on any more and is as much use as a plastic brick.

The number of complaints would certainly go some way to explaining where they got all the players to refurbish, if they are true.

I was disappointed because I have been looking for a player that can handle FLACs and thought this was a good value option.

If you just want to listen to audiobooks, why not get any inexpensive mp3 player over here, like a Philips GoGear for example - 700 baht and plenty good enough for audiobooks; good enough for music too with a decent set of headphones?

I ended up buying a Sansa Fuze, refurbished, $50 delivered. Haven't received it yet, it's on it's way.

Where can I buy a GoGear for 700 baht? I see plenty on Ebay but they are a lot more expensive than that.

The 2 GB model was 700 baht when I bought it in a shopping mall in Thailand a year or two ago. I know 2 GB is on the small side, but if you only want to listen to audiobooks it's fine as they don't normally take up all that much space. I can fit about 15-20 320kbps albums on it, which is enough for me (you could probably fit about the same amount of audiobooks on it).

Good luck with your Sansa by the way. It would be good to hear how you get on with it. I wanted to buy the Clip but after reading all those reviews I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Edited by inthepink

Sans a Clip+ is the best player ever.New one is so cheap,that looking for refurbished makes no sense.

I bought half a dozen already and the only problem I had with them was - they are easy to lose,because they are very light

and small.

Read review in www.anythingbutipod.com

They are very popular - very famous for its hi-fi sound quality and good,simple interface.They have memory slot - up to 32G,

plenty of music in such tiny item.

However! - you need good earphones to appreciate Sans a sound quality.Good earphones? - minimum 100 $! 2 times more,then player itself.

Sans a Clip+ is the best player ever.New one is so cheap,that looking for refurbished makes no sense.

I bought half a dozen already and the only problem I had with them was - they are easy to lose,because they are very light

and small.

Read review in www.anythingbutipod.com

They are very popular - very famous for its hi-fi sound quality and good,simple interface.They have memory slot - up to 32G,

plenty of music in such tiny item.

However! - you need good earphones to appreciate Sans a sound quality.Good earphones? - minimum 100 $! 2 times more,then player itself.

The refurbished 4GB Sansa Fuze cost me $50 delivered from the UK, a new one in the UK is more than double that. You can buy a new one in the US for around $70, but the Ebay sellers won't ship to Thailand. When I received it yesterday, it appears indistinguishable from a new one and (so far) works perfectly. The sound from music is incredible, far better than I expected. Also very simple to download books and music from my laptop.

Edited by giddyup

Maybe a refurbished one makes more sense, as if they are the ones that were returned because they suddenly stopped working, presumably they have found a way to rectify the fault.

Well, so far so good. No faults of any kind yet, and great sound.