A Couple Questions About Us Soc.security Qualifying

You might be advised to seek consul from a US certified CPA or tax attorney. My understanding is that you deal with the IRS on these issues, unless you live and work in a country that has a reciprocal tax treaty agreement with the US. Again, seek qualified advice.

Good luck ...

Over 62, paid into SS for at least 40 quarters (10) years, You qualify.

Get a U.S bank account and have your payment paid in the U.S. bank. They will pay into Bangkok bank Special SS account, small charge per deposit, but a bitch and big hassel to get the money out, most branches don't know the procedure which agian is a bitch.

I was self employed some years ago and had to make the ss payments my self. If you are working for a USA employer as an employee (not contract) then they pay part of the ss and you pay part. As long as ss has a record of your payments you are all set.

I just applied online for my retirement at age 62. It was easy and they called me last week to say I was all set, first chesk May 8th. Great service and VERY knowledgeable. Give them a call

If you are self employeed, you should have/be paying social security tax each month based on a percentage of your salary, up to a certain amount. If you have not been paying the tax you do not qualify.

Thanks for all replies. Tried the main ss website but was not able to get an account. Tried calling their 800# but it's automated, and it's doubtful whether a caller can get a real person - perhaps after waiting 20 to 40 minutes. I'm heading to US in March, so will go in a ss office to see what's up.

If you are self-employed, you should be reporting your income and expenses (for business) on Schedule C of your US tax return. Based on that, you should also be calculating and paying the self-employment social security tax on Schedule SE. As a self-employed taxpayer, you pay both halves of this tax - a total of 15.3% of net self-employment income. These payments are credited to your account, just as those made on your behalf is you work for a US company. You would qualify for benefits at 62 or your normal retirement age whether you are an employee or self-employed.

Your normal retirement age depends upon the year you were born. For those born after 1937, this age gradually increases until it reaches 67.

If you are self-employed, you should be reporting your income and expenses (for business) on Schedule C of your US tax return. Based on that, you should also be calculating and paying the self-employment social security tax on Schedule SE. As a self-employed taxpayer, you pay both halves of this tax - a total of 15.3% of net self-employment income. These payments are credited to your account, just as those made on your behalf is you work for a US company. You would qualify for benefits at 62 or your normal retirement age whether you are an employee or self-employed.

Your normal retirement age depends upon the year you were born. For those born after 1937, this age gradually increases until it reaches 67.

I'm prepared to file 1040se. Do I also need to submit a schedule C form? Is it possible to pay back-taxes for prior year(s) missed?

I'm prepared to file 1040se. Do I also need to submit a schedule C form? Is it possible to pay back-taxes for prior year(s) missed?

The info for Sched SE comes from your Sched C.

You can file back-taxes for the prior 3 years. You will also owe penalties and interest which can be substantial.