Buying A Suit - Chiang Mai Vs London

mpower

Hey all,

I need to buy a suit soon and can buy it in one of two places, Chiang Mai or London. Trying to work out my best bet.

The only issue i'd have with buying one in Chiang Mai is the hassle - I'm going backpacking for a month and would probs have to lug it around, at least for some of the journey.

Beyond that...I don't want anything fancy, just a relatively cheap dark suit for work and weddings/funerals that looks OK and will last. I'm 6'3"/190cm. Last suit i bought was years ago so i really don't know much about the whole process.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,

Marko

My view is that if you want a made to measure suit get it made in Thailand but choose a good cloth, not a cheap cloth. A cheap dark suit for work, weddings and funerals you can buy in either place without a huge difference in price, but you will need to shop around in London to by off the peg at a sale price.My experience in Thailand was to get a good fit I had to really pressure the tailor (who seems to be the measurer/retailer because the making tends to be farmed out) to get the fit correct, but my experience was one shop in Bangkok.

The word "tailor" here is an exageration. My experience is that most "tailors" are really seamstresses. They can make great alterations, however, if you can buy a ready made suit and have a local "tailor" alter it to fit well you have the best bet.

For a suit to fit well requires excellent cutting. Good cutters demand and get top wages in London and New York and cut a whole pile of cloth at one cutting.

Buy ready made in London as you will know how well it fits before you pay for it.