Police Sting Targeting Farangs On West Side Of Narawat Bridge

ShawnStorm

Hi people. I realize this forum is mostly used by expats and such, but as a traveler, I use this site for info a fair bit. I'm also not sure of a better place to post this info.

Anyways, just wanted to mention that I got caught in a police sting yesterday afternoon. As I was coming off the bridge on my motorbike, heading for Tapae Gate, I noticed a bunch of police on the left side of the road. One motioned me to stop so I pulled over. (Yes, I was wearing my helmet). He asked where I was going (to lunch). Then he asked to see my license. I gave him my US Drivers License and he immediately told me to get off the bike and he grabbed my bike keys. Then he said, "you need international license to drive in Chiang Mai. He took my license and my motorbike, gave me a ticket, and told me to walk to the nearest police station to pay. After paying I would get my bike and license back.

On my way to the station I noticed a steady stream of Farangs holding tickets going to and coming back from the station. Once there I had to wait in que for almost and hour. The station was packed to the gills with other ticket holding foreigners. Once I was called I decided to attempt contesting the ticket, saying that I thought a US License was adequate since I'm on a 30 day tourist entry. They got all confuse and called the police offer on radio to come deal with me. He arrived and seemed a bit annoyed, but after hearing my opinion he took out my license an pointed out that my license class was only for cars, not motorcycles. Whoops! At least I gave it a shot. :)

When I got my bike back I sat and watched them pull over every foreigner who rode by. Everyone got a ticket and it was amazing how many tickets were issued in the 10 minutes that I watched!

Anyways, it was only 200 baht, so not the end of the world. I figured I would post my experience to give people the heads up.

-shawn-

PS - Sorry if my using "farang" offends anyone. I don't love the word myself, but it seemed like the appropriate word for this post. :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but surely every tourist must know that an International driver's licence is required?

You can't waltz into another country without one.

I must plead guilty about not having a motor bike licence tho. I drove one in Indonesia for years and no problems.

• Like 1

So you broke the law and got fined.

And your point is?

His point is they are targetting foreigners - this is a recent development in CM with the BIB catching up with their Chonburi and Bangkok colleagues. Easy pickings...

Read post #2 It will give you the facts of life. No need to feel persacuted. The post is almost a troll.

"Everyone got a ticket and it was amazing how many tickets were issued in the 10 minutes that I watched!"

Give me a break how many do you think they can stop in ten minutes. It is not like all the riders are farongs It probably takes ten minutes to stop and write one up. Even longer when you get some newbe who thinks he knows what is happening and in reality is clueless. People like him don't help endear cops to farongs. Make that farongs to cops..

Yes I realize there are some people with a persecution complex here and are sure that the cops never stop a Thai. Except for my wife she has been stopped twice. At least she has enough sense to have the proper papers just not enough to wear a helmet all the time.

I walk over the bridge and have seen many police stopping riders and drivers there it is a common experience, Try going over in an auto if you don't have a seat belt on. Some days that is the main focus for them other days it is helmets other days paper work.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Not really. The requirement is that you have a license in Thai or English. otherwise, an IDP is necessary.

and as the OP found out, your license needs to cover the type of vehicle you are driving.

but surely every tourist must know that an International driver's licence is required?

You can't waltz into another country without one.

I must plead guilty about not having a motor bike licence tho. I drove one in Indonesia for years and no problems.

• Like 2

I must say that in all my many years spent in the region I have never heard of the police randomly pulling over visitors just to check driving licenses. I too have been pulled over at that same location for not wearing a helmet, so that was justified on the part of the police.

• Like 1

And your point is?

His point is they are targetting foreigners - this is a recent development in CM with the BIB catching up with their Chonburi and Bangkok colleagues. Easy pickings...

Does it matter what nationality you have? blink.png If you have all your papers and DL's in order, believe it or not, no fines. rolleyes.gif

And your point is?

well of course they are, they know they have a higher probability of breaking the driver license law.

I wonder how far I would get arguing that they should accept my Thai car drivers license when riding a motorbike in the USA.

I did this in California, showed them my Thai motorcycle license (had a Hawaii and TX car license too though)...but its in Thai, so they told me i had to use an international license as a translation document.

Got a ticket, then got it dismissed by getting a california license.

Technically the ticket never should have happened though.

Well of course they are, they know they have a higher probability of breaking the driver license law.

Which is a dam_n fine reason for targeting foreigners.

However, I drove through that checkpoint at 11:30am today, and was not stopped. Both myself and my brother in law were wearing helmets. If they had stopped me, I have a licence to drive the vehicle I am driving, something the OP did not.

I believe an English language DL is sufficient for tourists rather than International DL, but only for the class of vehicle being driven. So a UK car DL is no good for motorcycle.

That is too logical.. then people can't come here and nag, i mean your sensible.

The guy just did not have a motorcycle license that was it and he was nabbed for it.

I believe an English language DL is sufficient for tourists rather than International DL, but only for the class of vehicle being driven. So a UK car DL is no good for motorcycle.

So we're told but I wish someone had told that to the kind officer just after the toll booth on the Don Muang expressway. I was on a tourist visa, driving a hire car on an English language car licence yet he expected us to leave the car there, give him the key and walk to the station with a (then) thirteen and a ten year old in tow. We sat there stubbornly until he relented and gave me a 400 baht fine for not having an IDP (which I'd believed I didn't need anyhow). I've carried an IDP on every trip since and never been asked for it.

I got pulled over at the same spot a few months ago and asked for license. I showed my Thai motorbike license and the cop gave me a giant smile and waved me on my way. I think he may have done the same for an international license, and I like to think he may have done the same for an overseas motorcycle license.

I don't think it is a sting, but an actual check for legitimate license - too many people / falangs driving around with no license or wrong (ie not international motorcycle) license. May save a few lives if they are stricter. It's sad that many young tourists come here and go home in a box or damaged because they did not know how to safely ride a motorcycle but could easily rent one.

I got pulled over on my scooter and showed them my phony international (bike included) license from Koh San road in BKK and they let me skip. All the bike rental places should check for a bike license before renting bikes, but I guess that would put them all out of business overnight. While I've risen bikes for 40+ years, I don't have a license and its scary to be in the road with so many unskilled riders.

Tourists who drive or ride without proper papers should be fined at least B2,000 The shops which rent to these tourists should be fined at least B20,000. That's what I think!

Some people in the wrong are taking a chance talking righteous thinking they are from some advance countries. When s_hit hits the fence it's too late to regret for enjoying that momentary "superior" feeling. Lucky you had met some nice cops who were not discriminating! When you get into trouble for clearly in the wrong in a country like Thailand you can be quite helpless unless you are the son of the embassador or some high ranking diplomats. Take heed!

as far as I understand it, an international driving licence is required to drive any kind of motor vehicle in Thailand, so I'm not quite sure why you think you have been 'stung'. You have broken Thai law and you have been fined for doing so. In what way is that a sting?

Logically the motorbike renters shouldn't be letting them out without the drivers having the appropriate license then!

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CmSally,

Surely, you would not want to disrupt a major revenue stream for our very underpaid local law enforcement officers ?

yrs, ~o:37;

• Like 1

as far as I understand it, an international driving licence is required to drive any kind of motor vehicle in Thailand,

I'm currently in Pattaya about to enter the third week of my 3 week holiday. I've been pulled over twice so far, on my rented motorcycle. Both times, I showed police my Australian car & motorcycle driver's licence and was allowed to continue on my way.

I posted a similar topic about a month ago about getting a ticket for not understanding the Thai sign saying no turn on a red light. However, I was not complaining... just stating a fact.

HOWEVER! Has anyone been in ANY government office recently? There are line ups just to get in a line up. And, once you reach the head of the line you get told you need different papers and you have to start the whole process over again on another day. The Immigration office in Chiang Mai is just one example. Another is trying to get the purchase papers and license plate when buying a motorcycle. Another is trying to actually GET an appointment to get your motorcycle license. No wonder people just don't bother.

If possible it's just better to try and avoid that bridge at all times unless you are going east. Anyone with half a brain who has been in Chiang Mai for a month understands the police graft system. It's just a form of taxation to supplement a low salary. It doesn't really accomplish anything of any value... other than to supply the police with more money.

• Like 1