Important Notice.

Rooo

This is a communication from one of our members.

Hi Rooo,

As you know Ii work with Samui rescue. Today there was a meeting with the mayor of Suratthani, some politicians, fire brigade, tourist police, rescue volunteers, royal Thai police, Sea police and all governing bodies.

I have been asked to look for about 10 foreigners to help set up stand byes in on Chaweng beach to stop people going into the sea when the currents and the water is not safe

As tourism on Samui is on the rise and they want to try to clean up Samui's fatality rate starting with the beach.

If any foreigners want to register then can go to Samui Town center ( not the tourist police ) Tourist association of koh samui to register.

Once we have enough people there shall be a meeting to inform volunteers on how they can help.

At each stand by they are looking for about 3 volunteerforeigners, 3 rescue volunteers, 3 police and so on.

If any foreigners are interested then please go to the office and give their name and telephone number so we can contact them with a meeting date also their email address.

thanks Rooo

Reply:

No work permit is needed. Just a signed copy of passport , copy of valid visa , photo copied and signed, i think about 2 passport photos

The work is completely voluntary so you only have to work if and when you have time. You are not forced to come all the time specially if you are busy working extra.

The office is at the bakery end of Samui Town center. You can leave your details and you can make a decision if you would like to do this after the meeting has been arranged and completed.

• Like 1

At last something good seems to be taking place, smile.png

Couldn't help but have a wee chuckle at this part though: "Ass tourism on Samui is on the rise"....really?? blink.png...well there you go!!tongue.pngbiggrin.png

(sorry, i couldn't resist, my bad)

Fixed the typo rolleyes.gif
  • Like 2

i went to them the man to speak to is a Thai man who speaks very good engish call Vin. If he is not there then tell the reception that you want to help with beach rescue and leave your name and number and email. They shall call me when and where the meeting is going to take place

• Like 2

Flyer supplied:

LIVE IN SAMUI?

WANT TO SAVE LIVES?

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
1-2 DAYS A WEEK FOR NEW CHAWENG BEACH EMERGENCY UNIT.

If you or a friend are interested please join our meeting as below:

When: Tuesday the 26th of February 2013
Time: 8:30pm SHARP
Where: Please email for location (TBC)

GIVE BACK TO KOH SAMUI THROUGH A REWARDING EXPERIENCE ON ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BEACHS IN THAILAND.

NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
MIN 16 YRS +
NEED TO BE ABLE TO SWIM 

PLEASE EMAIL DYLAN [email protected] to confirm your attendance and for location.

• Like 1

No work permit is needed. Just a signed copy of passport , copy of valid visa , photo copied and signed, i think about 2 passport photos

Why should we believe Samui rescue's view on this when every other source states that you need a work permit to perform volunteer work?

Or are the above items needed so that they can apply for a work permit on your behalf?

pokerspiv, on 22 Feb 2013 - 10:03, said:

Why should we believe Samui rescue's view on this when every other source states that you need a work permit to perform volunteer work?

Or are the above items needed so that they can apply for a work permit on your behalf?

you should believe them because you wish to offer assistance.

people who constantly bring up this work permit bugbear in situations like this are generally just bitter and trying to be bloody-minded.

if you don't wish to help, you need not do so, but i would suggest rather than cry foul next time someone does drown, perhaps you should remember that someone attempted to be proactive and all you could do was focus upon a technicality in an attempt to thwart their efforts.

• Like 2

1) The Chamber (SSS/HST, Bang Rak) were always fast re communication & directing assets to where they were needed.

2) Trainee divemasters etc would make ideal candidates due to:

a) Being young, fit & competant in the water.

b ) Having sufficient first aid experience inc use of oxygen (Those that haven't will gain valuable experience quick enough!)

c) Having the appropriate visa to enable them to do so.

3) Harnessing the Jet Ski's would be a bonus too but I realise this is a non-starter.

Good Luck:)

Edited by evadgib

pokerspiv, on 22 Feb 2013 - 10:03, said:

people who constantly bring up this work permit bugbear in situations like this are generally just bitter and trying to be bloody-minded.

if you don't wish to help, you need not do so, but i would suggest rather than cry foul next time someone does drown, perhaps you should remember that someone attempted to be proactive and all you could do was focus upon a technicality in an attempt to thwart their efforts.

I'm not trying to thwart anyone's efforts. I would just like reassurance that I am not going to be deported if I choose to help out. Possibly in the form of a link to a Thai government statement saying it's ok to volunteer without a work permit.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

To the above post , as we all know the Thais love and will always turn a blind eye to anything deemed illegal if in benefits them in one way or another , so assiting the local rescue service will hardly warent a case to be deported , But most probably asset you should something happen in the future !

People who volunteer to help should really stop worrying ! Has there ever been a reported case of a foreigner volunteering for a government back agency being deported or getting into trouble for having an incorrect visa ? No !

• Like 1

I'm not trying to thwart anyone's efforts. I would just like reassurance that I am not going to be deported if I choose to help out. Possibly in the form of a link to a Thai government statement saying it's ok to volunteer without a work permit.

Why not attend the meeting & satisfy yourself by asking the question . I am sure the people in charge will be able to put your fears to rest.

Why not attend the meeting & satisfy yourself by asking the question .

Because I don't think they are experts on Thai immigration law. Like I said, if it's truly legal to volunteer without a work permit, it shouldn't be hard to produce a link to a Thai government website stating this. I have seen plenty of literature from Thai police and immigration departments stating unequivocally that is illegal to volunteer without a work permit. If someone wants to convince me otherwise, I expect more evidence than "because I said so".

Has there ever been a reported case of a foreigner volunteering for a government back agency being deported or getting into trouble for having an incorrect visa ? No !

Actually, yes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/26847-charity-workers-must-get-work-permits/

Edited by pokerspiv

I'm not trying to thwart anyone's efforts. I would just like reassurance that I am not going to be deported if I choose to help out. Possibly in the form of a link to a Thai government statement saying it's ok to volunteer without a work permit

MSN-Emoticon-014.gif

Edited by robsamui

u r volenteering to help the country of Thailand which there is no work permit needed only the documents that you shall need are passport and a form.in fact part of getting thai citerzern ship u have do have done a pulic service this is public volenteer service not working

• Like 1

Because I don't think they are experts on Thai immigration law. Like I said, if it's truly legal to volunteer without a work permit, it shouldn't be hard to produce a link to a Thai government website stating this. I have seen plenty of literature from Thai police and immigration departments stating unequivocally that is illegal to volunteer without a work permit. If someone wants to convince me otherwise, I expect more evidence than "because I said so".

>Has there ever been a reported case of a foreigner volunteering for a government back agency being deported or getting into trouble for having an incorrect visa ? No !

Actually, yes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/26847-charity-workers-must-get-work-permits/

Appreciate your thoughts & concerns. No need to start detracting other members from attending & finding out for themselves.

This has nothing to do with charity etc......... If you do not wish to participate or attend I suggest you stop speculating until you have your facts from the people concerned.

Thank You.

• Like 1

So - go to the meeting. Ask the question and get an answer 'from the horses mouth'!

I'm in favour of expats. helping government agencies as volunteers but experience has made me very wary.

Suggestions that a B visa and work permit will be required will probably be waved aside with a laugh. However, the law is such that even volunteers need them.

More importantly, volunteer schemes are sometimes used by employees of government agencies to avoid effort and responsibility on their part.

Additionally, you can expect a budget to be allocated to the scheme but won't see much evidence of where it goes.

By all means go to the meeting but do it with the questioning part of the brain turned on.

u r volenteering to help the country of Thailand which there is no work permit needed only the documents that you shall need are passport and a form.in fact part of getting thai citerzern ship u have do have done a pulic service this is public volenteer service not working

Interesting. Please provide the source of your information.

So - go to the meeting. Ask the question and get an answer 'from the horses mouth'!

Again, I think you are missing the point.

I am not interested in asking Samui Rescue what they think the law is. I'm interested in what the Thai government thinks the law is. That's the only horse who's mouth I am interested in hearing from.

Edited by pokerspiv

Again, I think you are missing the point.

I am not interested in asking Samui Rescue what they think the law is. I'm interested in what the Thai government thinks the law is. That's the only horse who's mouth I am interested in hearing from.

I think I would let this go now, spiv. You have already found a quote from the Phuket Employment Service Office which clearly answers your question.