Important Notice.

Rooo

It's reasonable to ask if the charity will provide work permits, as the 2nd poster in this thread did.

It's one of your own mods that has made the claim that work permits are not needed. So perhaps you should address your instructions to that mod.

I would ask you to kindly retract your comment about Mods. I DID NOT say that, I merely relayed the information supplied by the people organising it..

Secondly enough is enough, this going way off topic. If you are not interested so be it, let other people discuss the topic at hand.

• Like 1

Reply:

No work permit is needed. Just a signed copy of passport , copy of valid visa , photo copied and signed, i think about 2 passport photos

The work is completely voluntary so you only have to work if and when you have time. You are not forced to come all the time specially if you are busy working extra.

The office is at the bakery end of Samui Town center. You can leave your details and you can make a decision if you would like to do this after the meeting has been arranged and completed.

I never quoted anything, if you care to read , that was a REPLY from the organisers to a question.

• Like 1

It's reasonable to ask if the charity will provide work permits, as the 2nd poster in this thread did.

It's one of your own mods that has made the claim that work permits are not needed. So perhaps you should address your instructions to that mod.

ask a lawyer!!!

ask a lawyer!!!

For a 1.000bt he will tell you anything.

ask a lawyer!!!

For a 1.000bt he will tell you anything.

i can't answer that. can't tell if thjat sis a joke or a sterio type of Thai's. I was speaking about a lawyer not a whore lol

Flyer supplied:

LIVE IN SAMUI?

WANT TO SAVE LIVES?

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

1-2 DAYS A WEEK FOR NEW CHAWENG BEACH EMERGENCY UNIT.

If you or a friend are interested please join our meeting as below:

When: Tuesday the 26th of February 2013

Time: 8:30pm SHARP

Where: Please email for location (TBC)

GIVE BACK TO KOH SAMUI THROUGH A REWARDING EXPERIENCE ON ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BEACHS IN THAILAND.

NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY

MIN 16 YRS +

NEED TO BE ABLE TO SWIM 

PLEASE EMAIL DYLAN [email protected] to confirm your attendance and for location.

In case you have not heard - the meeting is postponed to next week.

https://www.facebook.com/SamuiBeachEmergencyRescueUnit?fref=ts

(I think that the meeting is MONDAY 4th March - venue TBA)

• Like 1

A reliable source has informed me of a situation:

“Last week an Asian female tourist got into trouble with the rip out front of Tradewinds Resort.

Three regular farangs who have been helping with rescues lately went to her
assistance, one had a large inflatable tube and the girl grabbed it at the same
time a jet ski arrived and called for her to grab his hand.

She continued with the farang and was landed back safely on the beach where six Thai jet ski guys
showed up and began to beat the farang up

“Last week an Asian female tourist got into trouble with the rip out front of Tradewinds Resort.

She continued with the farang and was landed back safely on the beach where six Thai jet ski guys

If correct and true that is bloody disgusting behaviour of the Thais !

Another question would be why ? Where they hoping for some sort of reward from the Asian tourist ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

This was already discussed on TV (see below). The Farang Voluntary Lifeguard Service that existed since 2005 has disbanded because of threats from the jetski bandits as it was one thing to risk their lives saving someone but quite another to worry about being killed by a jetski. I hope the new Voluteer LG Service will have better luck and proper coordination with the jetski people.

Posted 2013-02-06 12:10:52

Several more people have drowned this week on Chaweng Beach since I last reported a few days ago. There is no longer a Farang Voluntary Lifeguard Service that has existed for a number of years. They only had two members left and made two rescues on Monday but were threatened by the jetski mafia. Apparently, recovering a farang dead or alive has become quite a lucrative business for them. My advice is to stay away from Chaweng Beach when the big waves are rolling in and, unfortunately, expect many more drownings, which of course will be kept out of the newspapers for fear or losing tourist revenue.

What Chaweng Beach really needs are fully qualified LifeGuards. I qualified as a lifeguard at the age of 18 but now i'm 40 the baywatch 6 pack has gone!

It would be really dangerous to stick expats on the beach with out lifeguard and first aid training.

This was already discussed on TV (see below). The Farang Voluntary Lifeguard Service that existed since 2005 has disbanded because of threats from the jetski bandits as it was one thing to risk their lives saving someone but quite another to worry about being killed by a jetski. I hope the new Voluteer LG Service will have better luck and proper coordination with the jetski people.

Posted 2013-02-06 12:10:52

Several more people have drowned this week on Chaweng Beach since I last reported a few days ago. There is no longer a Farang Voluntary Lifeguard Service that has existed for a number of years. They only had two members left and made two rescues on Monday but were threatened by the jetski mafia. Apparently, recovering a farang dead or alive has become quite a lucrative business for them. My advice is to stay away from Chaweng Beach when the big waves are rolling in and, unfortunately, expect many more drownings, which of course will be kept out of the newspapers for fear or losing tourist revenue.

One of the things discussed at the initial meeting last night was that the jet ski guys are to be encouraged to join in the scheme and to become an integral part of it.

What Chaweng Beach really needs are fully qualified LifeGuards. I qualified as a lifeguard at the age of 18 but now i'm 40 the baywatch 6 pack has gone!

It would be really dangerous to stick expats on the beach with out lifeguard and first aid training.

Needs all kinds of people from spotters to alert life guards

To medics on the beach

Main thing is communication

I am sure that training shall be compulsory or the life guards shall be dead also

• Like 1

This.

People acting as lifeguards with no experience is just asking for trouble.

To medics on the beach

I am sure that training shall be compulsory or the life guards shall be dead also

Training to be a lifeguard takes months not days. Not only do you need to be a good swimmer, you will need to learn how to give Artificial respiration & Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

• Like 1

How amazing that many of you are offering advice and giving us the benefit of your overwhelming wisdom. It is a shame that you could not get to the meeting last night.

The people who did attend are determined to do something to help Samui be a better and safer place.

To medics on the beach

Well said Big C - one of the better posts under this topic

All sorts of help is needed. Not a full list but....

Organisers, spotters, people to help with planning, fund raisers, scroungers, Jet skis, back up people, medical staff, first responders etc etc. Also - many nationalities would be helpful. A lot of tourists that get into trouble in the water do not speak English or Thai. There needs to be a lot of education and training of lots of different people from different backgrounds.

All of this will not happen in one day, one week, one month, etc.

But if all we do is to sit at our computers and type sage advise (because it makes us feel good?) then it will never happen. Last night some people said - "we want to help to make this to work"

Last year was Samui's busiest year ever. This year is looking to be even more busy.

Now, let's support them. Actions - not words please.

Updates and Suggestions can be posted to

https://www.facebook...cueUnit?fref=ts

It's a valid point. It's high season and i'm busy with work so unfortunately i didn't pick up on this post until after the meeting.

• Like 1

It's a valid point. It's high season and i'm busy with work so unfortunately i didn't pick up on this post until after the meeting.

Don't worry - there will be plenty of other opportunities to get involved - offer help/advice etc. (I too have a full time job - luckily I work from home!)

The guy on the facebook account (Dylan) is the coordinator for it all for now. He has asked everyone to send him a list of what people think is needed. Training/equipment/resources/SOP's etc etc

Dylan is not based on Samui so we even need someone to run the thing who is based here. (And we need a name etc - it is not a part of Samui Rescue - although Samui Rescue people might volunteer here as well.)

Sign of things to come?

Aussie life savers dive in to boost Phuket beach guard training

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Lifeguard Club (PLC) yesterday
announced it has joined with the renowned Surf Life Saving Australia
(SLSA) to develop world-class public education programs that aim to
improve water safety and reduce the number of drownings on Phuket’s
beaches.

This week, six senior lifeguard trainers from Phuket beaches and resorts
worked with SLSA Community Education Manager Anthony Bradstreet to
adapt the successful Australian Surf safety Program (“Surf Ed”) to local
Phuket conditions, the PLC explained in a press release.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624632-aussie-life-savers-dive-in-to-boost-phuket-beach-guard-training/

• Like 1