Thailand's Longest Bridge To Connect Samut Prakarn And Samut Sakhon

webfact

Thailand's longest bridge to connect Samut Prakarn and Samut Sakhon

1361587530.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 23 – The Transport Ministry has unveiled a multi-million-baht project to construct Thailand’s longest cable-suspension bridge linking two seaboard provinces of Samut Prakarn and Samut Sakhon, according to a senior official.

Prasert Janruang-thong, deputy transport minister, said the 1,120-metre bridge will stretch over the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers.

Construction of the 57-km, six-lane bridge will cost Bt49.6 billion and should start in the next three years and take at least three years to finish.

Mr Prasert said the bridge's design will be similar to the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco will ease traffic congestion and save logistics cost.

“The two available bridges – Bhumibol and Kanchanapisek – which serve commuters and transport operators in the area will reach their limit soon. Traffic congestion will escalate by 20 percent if nothing is done,” he said.

Chartchai Tipsunave, director general of the Rural Roads Department, said a feasibility study and preliminary design for the bridge have been completed, to be followed by environment impact assessment and bidding for contractors.

Land expropriation for the project will cost Bt7.9 billion while economic return is forecast at 19.31 percent which justifies the investment, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-02-23

Prasert Janruang-thong, deputy transport minister, said the 1,120-metre

bridge will stretch over the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers.

Construction of the 57-km, six-lane bridge will cost Bt49.6 billion and

should start in the next three years and take at least three years to

finish.

Another well written article, common sense tells me that it's more likely 1,120 metres than 57 KM...

The Main span is 1,120 m, the whole bridge, i.e. including approaches is 57-KM

I wonder what the real cost of the bridge is per kilometre and how much will disappear off the top?

Well if they wait 3 years to start much of the funds will disappear so instead of the bridge looking like the golden gate it will be more like Washington State Galloping gertie bridge in the Tacoma narrows

• Like 1

finish.

Another well written article, common sense tells me that it's more likely 1,120 metres than 57 KM...

whistling.gif

One can only hope that the budget for the bridge will not grow by the same factor like the length of the bridge.

Edited by hanuman2543

finish.

whistling.gif

God I hate these "journalists". There's obviously some aspect of 57km, but are they bpthered to explain...no. Now we just have to speculate: I speculate that 56km of road works (increasing lane capacity etc) will be done linking the bridge with the provinces. Any other ideas?

I was honestly starting to lose sleep as to the fact that there are too few major projects on the go to ensure all MP's retire as baht billionaires. The high speed train is only 320 billion and the rice pledging, kids tablets, police housing/stations make just a few hundred billion more, these folks will be hard pushed to put real meat on the table! Now at least another 50 Billion has been made available, I can see the queue at the trough already. Thank God the various MP's Mama's can have chicken with their vegetables tonight.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

Construction of the 57-km, six-lane bridge will cost Bt49.6 billion

Deja Vu..... :unsure:

2Bangkok.com

August 27, 2005

The Laem Phak Bai project

The 50 kilometer bridge over the Gulf of Thailand

Royal concern effectively cancelling Laem Phak Bai project - translated and summarized from Manager Daily, Bangkok Biznews, and Matichon, August 8, 2005

Premier Thaksin said he has to cancel the 50 billion baht Laem Phak Bai Project after receiving concern from His Majesty from Klai Kangwon Palace about environmental impact and this controversial project has cost overrun problems after the fuel hike.

Furthermore, this project has not passed an Environmental Assessment (EIA). There is serious concern about mercury and lead deposits at the mouth of Mae Klong River and nearby areas which Laem Phak Bai project has to pass through.

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok-bridge-gulfofthailandbridge.html

1361587530.jpg

Look at the bloke clutching his head . Is it amazement of such long term strategical thinking or is it how long will it be before a budget blow-out means it is forgotten and will i be able to get my cut of the action before that.

quote "the bridge's design will be similar to the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco"

More like the Golden Goose Bridge with all the golden eggs being laid for backhanders wink.png

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 2

The traffic congestion e.g. on Kanchanaphisek and Rama 2 road does not so much come from too many cars (and trucks), but rather from the totally chaotic toll pay system.

If you have ever tried to get to Rama 2 road through the EasyPass toll, the you know what I mean: Total chaos and mutual blocking, too many trucks, not enough EasyPass gates, no EasyPass for trucks etc.

And when you come the other way, it's even worse. A car with EasyPass coming from the left side has to cross all 15 lanes to the EasyPass gate at the far right side and no truck or car lets you pass through voluntarily, you have to "wrestle" yourself through.

Of course, the decision of the governments to abandon the train system and favor trucks for transporting merchandise helps to overcrowd the outdated street system in the Samut Sakon / Samut Songkram area.

They havent finished the one at Phra Sae near Chantaburi yet, work at a halt for a long time ????

Finishing is not the goal. Distributing the funds is the ultimate goal.

I disagree completely and totally. This is BS. The plan is a soaring economy with a GDP increase of which other countries can only dream rolleyes.gif

"Deputy Transport Minister Mr Prasert said the bridge's design will be similar to the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco"

Those Americans were reallly progressive and build for all to admire, build between 1933 and 1937 that is. I imagine the design plan was no longer copyright protected and could be had for a 'friendly' price to allow Thailand to have such a 'Wonder of the Modern World' as well rolleyes.gif

finish.

Considering the frequent lane-changing, likely distance traveled 57km on 1,120m bridge.

It is very obviously the interconnecting roads that will make up the 57Km, while as stated above, the 1,120 metres will be the main span.

As I notice that almost every bridge project anywhere always overruns the budget, I think the 49.6 billion Baht is extremely likely to blow out, although by what factor remains to be seen.

This is not Thai bashing either before anyone gets on their high horse, this is a normal occurrence on this sort of project worldwide!

It would be good to know the projected path for the interconnections and where they will join into the main road system, but I honestly think its a good idea to try to reduce heavy transport on roads closer to the capital - having said that, yes, a rail system would have been a good adjunct but as with many government decisions in any country, that's far too logical.

Edited by Greer
  • Like 1