View Doi Mansion

willfreeman

Emporium has an 'under the apartments' car park at ground level, overlooked by reception which is manned 24/7. Plenty of space for m/cs.

Wifi, is fine for emails and a bit of browsing. Useless for anything else (same as all the condo buildings in the area).

7/11 and Texco Lotus opposite, very busy student area with many food shops and Santhitham Plaza beer bar area just 100m away.

The 5k rooms are fine, double bed, fridge, balcony sink/drainer, tv with Wetv.

I found it almost the perfect place for a single guy to live.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I made judgement on that place after one night. the wifi wasnt wifi it was bring your own plug in the wall lead. If you thought you could get a connection after 5pm forget it.

The internet facility was important for me, then after that it was easy to ctiticise the bathroom, and the general standard.

next morning I was about 200m away at the Loft apartments in large 1 bed apt for 7k month for 3 months, great views, fantastic for plane spotting and free rock music from the bars below...highly recommended.

having said that it was 2yr ago so maybe they brought wifi into the 21st century?

Im staying here at the moment and i can say, this place is nice, also you can rent the room for one month! Downstairs they have a paper on a table that puts 2 months of deposit... I havent been asked for that, just one month.

The only drawback is the electicity, they charge 7baht/unit and the next month will be hot as f... As a result the bill could be 2000 lr 3000 depends on how much will use the AC

Internet works well but is not 200M, I only use wifi in my tablet.

Overall, I think is a good place to stay, 5000baht, water 200, internet free, the electricity sucks 7 baht is ridiculous! When goverment rate is around 4! The room is spacious with a balcony and the furnitures are quite nice. The building has a parking and washing machines at the ground floor as well.

I will see the electric bill this month, if i dont like i will change to another place with 4-5 baht per unit. 3 bahts seems to be nothing but in a bill of 2000(4baht) to 3500(7baht) i think its a big difference and slightly the double, i can pay that but i dont like the way this people try to rip you off!

Im staying here at the moment and i can say, this place is nice, also you can rent the room for one month! Downstairs they have a paper on a table that puts 2 months of deposit... I havent been asked for that, just one month.

The only drawback is the electicity, they charge 7baht/unit and the next month will be hot as f... As a result the bill could be 2000 lr 3000 depends on how much will use the AC

Overall, I think is a good place to stay, 5000baht, water 200, internet free, the electricity sucks 7 baht is ridiculous! When goverment rate is around 4! The room is spacious with a balcony and the furnitures are quite nice. The building has a parking and washing machines at the ground floor as well.

I will see the electric bill this month, if i dont like i will change to another place with 4-5 baht per unit. 3 bahts seems to be nothing but in a bill of 2000(4baht) to 3500(7baht) i think its a big difference and slightly the double, i can pay that but i dont like the way this people try to rip you off!

7 baht a unit compared to the 4 baht (a little less) the company charges sounds bad but in reality you should compare it if that is your thing to other condos. I pay 6 baht and have heard of as much as 8 baht a unit. The Riverside condos when I looked into them only charged 4 baht a unit that was a year and a half ago. The rent for a one bedroom was 20,ooo baht.

7 baht a unit compared to the 4 baht (a little less) the company charges sounds bad but in reality you should compare it if that is your thing to other condos. I pay 6 baht and have heard of as much as 8 baht a unit. The Riverside condos when I looked into them only charged 4 baht a unit that was a year and a half ago. The rent for a one bedroom was 20,ooo baht.

Dolly and everyone else out there please correct me if I am wrong. But why would you want to live in a condo when there are so many furnished houses for rent in the city with decent gardens for rent. Okay I understand if your budget is tight and you can only afford a 30 sqm condo. But you mentioned looking at a one bedroom condo at riverside for 20,000 baht. Heck for that price you could get a beautiful house furnished in the city. Okay you would have to pay someone to cut the grass. But when we were renting in the city it cost us 400 baht per month to have the grass cut and everything trimmed. Electrical costs to rent a house are cheaper than a condo because you will pay actual rate not the condo rate. We don't rent anymore but live in the Bosang/ Ton Pao area. 3 bedrooom, 3 bathroom houses with nice gardens rent dirt cheap. For those people without a car there is a white bus service into the city which runs from 5am until 10pm. As I posted in another section rents in this area for furnished house are 5,000 - 10,000 per month for one year lease.

• Like 1

i cant take on a one year lease with only 5-6 months in thailand, i need somewhere that will rent by the month and something that is fully furnished and within riding but preferably walking distance to restaurants, nightlife and the city, otherwise id look at a house some are fantastic and great prices but circumstances dont allow for it.

Dolly and everyone else out there please correct me if I am wrong. But why would you want to live in a condo when there are so many furnished houses for rent in the city with decent gardens for rent. Okay I understand if your budget is tight and you can only afford a 30 sqm condo. But you mentioned looking at a one bedroom condo at riverside for 20,000 baht. Heck for that price you could get a beautiful house furnished in the city. Okay you would have to pay someone to cut the grass. But when we were renting in the city it cost us 400 baht per month to have the grass cut and everything trimmed. Electrical costs to rent a house are cheaper than a condo because you will pay actual rate not the condo rate. We don't rent anymore but live in the Bosang/ Ton Pao area. 3 bedrooom, 3 bathroom houses with nice gardens rent dirt cheap. For those people without a car there is a white bus service into the city which runs from 5am until 10pm. As I posted in another section rents in this area for furnished house are 5,000 - 10,000 per month for one year lease.

I don't understand why anyone would live in a condominium either. It would be like living in a hotel. I would hate to come home and see other people walking around hallways and so forth. No garden, no privacy... I spend 1/2 my time outside in my garden and always have (except in the winters of Europe). I wouldn't live in a condominium if I could live there for free. Obviously some people do live in them but I can't understand it.

Edited by elektrified

i stay in a condo mainly because im staying alone. a house would be alittle too big. its pretty convenience as well, pool and gym are just upstairs, eatery is a min walk away, old city is at walking distance

i will probably preferred to stay in a house if i had someone else staying with me, and when car parking are not so hard to find

i cant take on a one year lease with only 5-6 months in thailand, i need somewhere that will rent by the month and something that is fully furnished and within riding but preferably walking distance to restaurants, nightlife and the city, otherwise id look at a house some are fantastic and great prices but circumstances dont allow for it.

Many places will rent by the month.Keep in mind that Chiang Mai is currently in an over supply of everything. Condos, houses, restaurants, coffee shops every 100 metres. Soon to be a shopping mall within walking distance of where you live. Name of the game is bargain.

Related to the OP, can anyone recommend a guesthouse or similar in the Santitham area?

I'm thinking of relocating but would like to test for a few days rather then a month or more.

Much thanks.

You are perfectly rite in what you say. But that life style is not for every one. All the things people talk about here in housing I had back in Canada and did not enjoy it as much as I do a condo.

One very important thing for me and me alone is location. I do not know where I can rent a House with all the conveniences I have here and a beautiful views of the Mountains and river "when it is not smog season"

Money does not enter in to it that much it does a little but not that much. I have had all that you have and now I have every thing you don't want and at this time of my life I choose Condo. The wife and I lock the door and go on a holiday no worry.

Problem with the hot water heater or air con no problem mention it at the desk and is fixed that day.

To be perfectly honest I just looked at the riverview to see what it was like the unit I saw was wonderful but we would never live there the wife says it was haunted and she didn't even go in the building I went by myself. Also when I owned not rented owned my own place I did enjoy mowing the lawn I found it to be a relaxing time. I had a power mower.

Well there you have it you are right and I am rite.wai2.gif

Well I will admit I might consider buying a house if I win the 649 lottery in Canada.

I would have stupid money the Gardner would double as my chauffeur and his wife could be the maid and they would have their own little house on the estate.

Related to the OP, can anyone recommend a guesthouse or similar in the Santitham area? I'm thinking of relocating but would like to test for a few days rather then a month or more. Much thanks.

Emporium will also rent by the night ...... 400bht/night(inc) or 5000bht/month(+utils).

You can't really beat it.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

i stay in a condo mainly because im staying alone. a house would be alittle too big. its pretty convenience as well, pool and gym are just upstairs, eatery is a min walk away, old city is at walking distance

i will probably preferred to stay in a house if i had someone else staying with me, and when car parking are not so hard to find

Smith residence??

Related to the OP, can anyone recommend a guesthouse or similar in the Santitham area? I'm thinking of relocating but would like to test for a few days rather then a month or more. Much thanks.

Emporium will also rent by the night ...... 400bht/night(inc) or 5000bht/month(+utils).

Do they have an hourly rate?biggrin.png

• Like 1

I stayed at View Doi Mansion for one month about 4 years ago when it was practically new. Had a room up several stories on the north side with a nice view of the mountain, but the street noise was enormous. Recommend a back room which is on a quiet soi. The young lady manager I was told is the niece of the owner. And as manager she is the laziest person I've met in Thailand. As to wifi it didn't work for about a week and several were complaining to her and it took a week for her to get off her butt and have something done. I understand she now has a child and works a shorter day; hopefully she has an assistant, else I wouldn't recommend the place.

I stayed in a back room at the Emporium for 1 week 2 years ago and it was OK, no complaints. Looked at renting a house close by which was inexpensive, but it showed the low price! Told landlord I wanted to test for one night before signing a lease and found there was a night club on the corner about 30 meters away, so quickly moved on.

Cheers mate, that sounds good to me. Thanks!

Electrical costs to rent a house are cheaper than a condo because you will pay actual rate not the condo rate.

I realize you said rent but, In case others don't know, If you own as we do a condo you

can deal directly with the Electric Company for the low rate & not deal with the condo management

tacking on any charges. We pay 4.14 per unit after the various taxes/surcharges are added on

I don't understand why anyone would live in a condominium either. It would be like living in a hotel. I would hate to come home and see other people walking around hallways and so forth. No garden, no privacy... I spend 1/2 my time outside in my garden and always have (except in the winters of Europe). I wouldn't live in a condominium if I could live there for free. Obviously some people do live in them but I can't understand it.

I agree but we own a condo here & it is not too bad.

Good security as there is only one way in & they would have to bypass

security downstairs then break in that single entrance.

Privacy wise yes having owned homes all our lives & still do back in the US

it is "different" having to pass folks on the way in or out sometimes. But having been here awhile

I can say I never met any bad ones. They all seem like nice folks.

It is also surprisingly quiet here. I never hear any neighbors.

We still spend most of the day out anyway doing what we want. But in the end

ownership has worked out for us having bought back in 2004

Nice having no monthly payments at all for the actual condo

aside from water,elec,internet & a yearly small maintenance fee.

I would entertain owning a home though if they ever allow it openly to foreigners

Till then this condo will do fine "for us" Easy to clean/maintain +

We rather live in something we own.

The one thing I do really miss most though is a proper garage to putter

around doing the things I like to do like motorcycle repair or doing some

wood working etc. smile.png

Edited by mania

Romyen House 4000bht a month, 3 months min, water 150, elec 8 bht unit, 24hr security, under building bike car/parking. Studio room, TV, free Wifi, Fridge.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=chiang+mai&hl=en&ll=18.803405,98.977032&spn=0.001379,0.002642&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=7.049238,21.643066&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.803522,98.977048&panoid=eItSCMxta1AeZjsfoUIkTw&cbp=12,109.53,,0,-17.36