My Unfortunate Situation In Bangkok T T

utake

I have just move to Bangkok with my family for 2 months. Due to a business reason, I met some Thai friends and have been able to fit in with them playing football for almost a month. We are taking thing to a competitive level.

But last week, I had a match with rival and I got severe injured, I got push by an opposition. At first, I thought it was just a normal injury. But soon as got it check out, it was an ACL problem (twisted knee) which I have to take a surgery that roughly cost me 10,000 USD T T .

The worst part of it is that, I had just move so I found out that my insurance only cover back home not here. So I have to pay everything on own. SUCKs!

USD $10,000 sounds like a lot of money to operate on an Anterior Cruciate Ligament,surley they can do it with keyhole surgery these days?

Normally that is how it is done...yes...but its not a straightforward procedure.

$10k sounds about right to me.

Maybe the Military hospitals are worth checking out? Seen reports that some of them are cheaper...especially for Orthopaedic procedures.

USD $10,000 sounds like a lot of money to operate on an Anterior Cruciate Ligament,surley they can do it with keyhole surgery these days?

Normally that is how it is done...yes...but its not a straightforward procedure.

Maybe the Military hospitals are worth checking out? Seen reports that some of them are cheaper...especially for Orthopaedic procedures.

No anaesthetic,bite on a leather strap and a bottle of Whisky to sterilise?whistling.gif

No anaesthetic,bite on a leather strap and a bottle of Whisky to sterilise?whistling.gif

T'was how it was for me in the e late 90's in India.....although I has a simple neck abscess after a nasty insect bite. tongue.png

Cashew feni instead of whisky. biggrin.png

• Like 1

T'was how it was for me in the e late 90's in India.....although I has a simple neck abscess after a nasty insect bite. tongue.png

Cashew feni instead of whisky. biggrin.png

Cashew and Coconut Feni,sounds like Goa?I had a friend who had a motorbike accident there and needed stitches,he told me the story about haggling with the local Doctor over the number of stitches,as the good Doctor was being paid on a 'per stitch' basis!

I had keyhole knee surgery at Phyathai 2. Was quoted a price of 250.000 baht "all included", but ended up paying 110.000 baht. Insurance took care of 100.000. They basically vacumed the knee inside for loose particles. Probably needs a replacement next time. It pays to shop around a bit. Bungrumrad wanted 400.000 ++ smile.png

Try Charoen Krung Hospital off Rama III just before the Krung Tep Bridge. OP clinic 6am to midday, no foreigner surcharge and pretty good speciality clinics. Rock on up to the triage desk on the second floor, tell them you want to be referred to the orthopaedic clinic and they'll shunt you around there straight away.

It's a BMA hospital and one that I've always found to be quite good.

Last August I had hip replacement surgery in a private hospital and was in the hospital 10 days. The total cost including hospital stay and meds was just under 77000 baht. Even at today's shitty exchange rate that's only $2655. $10000 seems high for ACL surgery, most likely the Farang rate. With the help of Thai friends who negioated for me, I paid the Thai rate.