Is It Worth Getting A Settlement Visa?

The Mrs has been visiting the UK for over 5 years on visit visas, this has been okay as we don't stay for more than a few months at a time within a year, we've also had a Schengen visa a few times, again no dramas. We've just had a little boy and he'll have a UK passport and a Thai one so that's cool, I'm wondering would it be beneficial to obtain a settlement visa for the wife, she'll be able to get an N.I number, open a bank account etc and come and go as we please without worrying about visas etc, with the baby we're probably going to be there for the 'UK' summer and Christmas times, but we're not intending to live in the UK, my questions are;

Does it make obtaining a Schengen visa any easier, we get it now but have to show flights, hotels etc, is that still the case if we just want to pop to France on the ferry for example??

Would obtaining a settlement visa and not settling in the UK ie spending maybe just a year out of the 2 years in the UK cause any problems later?

How much time do you have to spend in the UK to get the ILR??

Basically is it worth doing or shall we just stick with the 6 monthlies visit visas?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

Settlement is for living in the UK, if all she wants to do is visit regularly then a long term visit visa is what is required.

A 10 year visit visa currently costs £716, but that is cheaper than a settlement visa at £826, FLR after 30 months at £561 and ILR after a further 30 months at £991! (Current fees.)

Note that although she, obviously, is allowed time out of the UK for holidays etc.; when she applies for both FLR and ILR she will need to show that she is an actual UK resident and had been for the preceding 30 months.; If she cannot do so she will be refused.

The only effect living in the UK would have on traveling in Europe is that after she has ILR she could become naturalised as British. Once British with a British passport she would not need any visas to travel in Europe.

See UK Settlement Visa Basics for more on settlement.; including the financial requirements.

Edited by 7by7

Thanks for the info, the wife had a 2 year visit visa before and it was cheaper than they are now, I read somewhere on that occasion that they only give out 10 year visit visas if you've had one before, do you know if that's true?

I think perhaps that's the way forward then, a 10 year (if we can) or a 5 year vv, it would be nice to get a settlement visa so Mrs E can get an NI number etc but we're not moving there so it does seem pointless to go that route.

On the subject of Schengen visas is it right that although we're married we still have to show flight tickets and hotels etc, I read on a Schengen website that if the person applying is married to an EU citizen then all of that - including insurance isn't required, when we've done the Mrs Schengen visas we had to provide all of that??

Thanks

Jimmy

Thanks for the info, the wife had a 2 year visit visa before and it was cheaper than they are now, I read somewhere on that occasion that they only give out 10 year visit visas if you've had one before, do you know if that's true?

Bit confused here; you seem to be saying that you read that one can't have a 10 year visit visa unless one has had a 10 year visit visa before! I think we can ignore that.

Up to you whether to go for a 5 year one or a 10 year; but the longer she applies for the more stability in Thailand she will need to show. How long term is your future there!

There is more to getting a NI number than simply having a settlement visa. But if she has no intention of living in the UK, why does she need or want one? If at some later date your plans change and you do come to live in the UK then she can always get one then.

Schengen visa applicants who are qualifying family members of an EEA citizen do not need hotel bookings, insurance etc., although insurance is always recommended of course.

You are not the only one who has had problems in this area; see this topic!