Cctv In Class Rooms.

neilbla

Hi

Would like to have others thoughts on what is happening at the school i teach.

I work in a private language school in CM. They are well known with many branches in the city.

Well yesterday in one of the branches they have started to install CCTV in the classrooms. I agree with CCTV in the public areas for security and protection of the adimn staff but in the classroom that is different. I have talked to many of the other teachers (Thai and Western) at the school and all agree that it is an invasion of privacy to have CCTV in the teaching rooms.. Also feedback from students is very similar. They are not happy to have the lessons recorded.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this. Is this right?

Thanks.

It's quite common in private schools for parents to be able to view the classroom via the school website with a password.

Thanks for your reply but this is not in children classes but adults. The CCTV has been installed with no consultation with the staff.

Mixed bag.

For this situation, I don't know if there is a need. There shouldn't be a safety concern. Perhaps to make sure quality lessons are being taught? Perhaps to prove students are not abusing the 1 year visa?

No for hypothesizing about the use for K-12:

As a teacher I see it as a double edged sword.

It makes sure that you are on your A game every day.

Some times something comes up, whether it be overworked, stress, sick, previous engagement, etc, that leads to the following day's lesson being "wung". (Wung being the proper tense for wing it? I'm not an English teacher...)

That is the truth, the reality. But some teachers just coast every day, this could help curb that.

Also, it's great to film little Johnny acting out daily and have proof of it during parent teacher conferences because many times parents deny it.

There are also students who have their parents wrapped around their finger and when they don't want to do homework they say "I don't understand it" or "The teacher didn't explain it" despite the fact that they have completed the lessons in class trouble free.

You can also use them to catch cheating, not that that would mean much in this country....

All in all, if as a teacher you CYA, cover your butt, and have quality planned lessons, CCTV cams would be helpful, not harmful to you.

It could also be used to record and copy the best teachers' methods of teaching. Not all teachers know how to teach, of course. And whether a teacher is successful and well-liked has nothing to do with the rate of pay. But his or her style of teaching could be used as a training tape for future teachers.

Naturally the successful teacher who is on the training tape would not even be aware of the plagiarism, nor compensated anything additional for his or her accomplishments.

• Like 1

maybe they can finally do something i dreamed over the past years: live classroom for every grade, for the sick children at home, that they could follow the classes

how great would that be ?

mind...check first if they also put cctv in the toilets :)

Is there sound recorded too? If video only, its likely to be for security - to protect both teacher and student (and maybe there have been classroom thefts too?). Also maybe to prove students got what they have paid for should they refuse to pay or claim they were not taught properly.

The danger is that many teachers at language schools do not have valid work permits, this could cost both the school and the teachers dearly should immigration demand access to the video.

If there is sound recorded too, then it is more likely it is to record the lesson itself, maybe for: training purposes; for teacher/student review/assessment; maybe to check student is getting what they paid for; commercial reasons (selling taped lessons?); etc.

It would be a great help in getting people interested in your school. We are ta;ling about adults here.

I wish I had seen a preview of one when I was here for three days and signed up for a beginners class.

I surely would never have taken it. turned out half the students had taken it before and the rest had been living here for at least a year. They were teaching grammar in a language I couldn't speak.

I think the invasion of privacy issue is more toward the western concept, however here in Thailand, the employers are the ultimate decision maker most cases.
For the case of CCTV, I think it’s a great idea if it can be used “properly”. I’m all for it if it will help improve the quality of teaching and safety for those students at the same time, after all you said this is a school for adults. Many inappropriate activities can happen between teachers and students, and the camera will help kept everyone safe.

If you go below the surface of the privacy and security issue, the way I see it… I think it will be more beneficial to the teacher(like yourself) and school administrators as well. For example…you might be able to use it to critique yourself and your teaching style from the expression and fluency of your students. That is…if you’re in teaching seriously. Many small but important things can be missed during the hours of teaching, so if you have access to the technology that can monitor and playback, it will certainly help improving the performance in both teachers and students.

It’s a win-win to me.

Just my little thought here

Invasion of privacy?

What do the teachers or students do in the classroom that should be considered private?

I know what you're saying op, but it is not strictly a private place. If in the staff room or, God forbid, the khazi, that's different, but reckon it's good for all concerned. Guess it would have been nice for the teachers to have been consulted, but.

Edited by jackr

If you are working - you are there because the company pays you to be there - I don't think you have any expectations of privacy.

Imagine a cubicle farm - do workers there have expectations of privacy? Would they object to installing a camera?

I work remotely on a Windows machine somewhere in the USA. I wouldn't expect any privacy on that computer - I wouldn't store any private things on it, or browse websites for my own private use.

So - I can see how it could make you uncomfortable but if you think about it, 99% of that is probably because now somebody could be watching, and judging your performance. As a student, do I want a teacher who is aware that they're being watched and their performance judged? Yes, absolutely.

• Like 1