Usd, Us Dollar - Thai Baht Exchange Rate Forecast ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Signature cash advance means you have to sign, which means they are supposed to verify your identity (done inside the bank, obviously) and the limits are much higher than an ATM withdrawal.

There are a few ways to get no exchange fee, fees credited back, etc. My financial institution happens to not charge when I use my Visa credit card. They do charge if I use my Visa debit card. So I just go online and transfer into my credit card account.

Whether you want to believe me or not I don't really care (not meaning anything negative towards you with that statement... I just don't care whether anyone believes me or not). My last employment was as a manager in a financial institution and one of my responsibilities was plastics. I do know what I get and do not get, and I do not pay currency exchange fees or any other fees for that matter when I withdraw money over the counter (signature required) with my Visa credit card. As I said, I just transfer the amount on line and it covers everything. I asked both Visa Corporate and my financial institution why I was not charged and neither could answer. One day I am sure this will change.

MSPain

I have the same advantage on the fees but the exchange rate is crap and the amount I am allowed to obtain on the credit card is not near the amounts I usually transfer.

I might of thought USA will bounce back...

please be kind enough and define the meaning "might of thought" in a language i master.

Does "would have thought" work for you?

stupid me! it does work. i was asking because i have seen that this specific "of" was used quite often by different posters. so it's nothing but slang?

I might of thought the US would bounce too. Politician told me "economic fundamentals are sound, we've been here before, always pull ourselves back up".

US debt ceiling next month, again. Foregone conclusion. China unwilling to buy any more. I can hear the *Bernanke INC. printing press going flat out like a lizard drinkin' before next credit rating downgrade.

Quick dollar safe haven blip if someone abandons the good ship lollipop in **Euroland?

Conclusion: Might as well buy some Baht at 29 to the Dollar while I can. Be glad I did when it touches 27 next month.

* Note to staff - "Somebody find those old printing plates for higher denomination US currency notes. Might be needing those".

** Crete is lovely in August.

Greek-taverna-Platanias-Crete.jpg

** Crete is lovely in August

all Greek islands are also lovely expensive inspite of the economic downturn.

some people might not of thought of that before they travelled ermm.gif

Sadly, that's one reason I haven't gone, but was thinking about my year living on Crete when still on the Drachma.

Sadly, that's one reason I haven't gone, but was thinking about my year living on Crete when still on the Drachma.

did the girls then "dax" and "ne" or was it always "oxi"? we lived 2½ in Cyprus' Greek part.

My general sense was ohi / oxi but I didn't try. It was 14 years ago but something to do with sun bathing, Nordic females on holiday, and my then finance's propensity to drop in for a few days (an airline hostess at the time). Awkward with one in and another knocks at the front door. I guess that's what back doors are meant for - pardon the pun in this topic.

• Like 1

Ditto. Reality is reality. Naan, Just because you don't WANT to see it, doesn't make i t so. A hundred years ago the British Pound was the reserve/exchange currency. We all know how that went after the collapse of most of the British Empire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ditto. Reality is reality. Naan, Just because you don't WANT to see it, doesn't make i t so. A hundred years ago the British Pound was the reserve/exchange currency. We all know how that went after the collapse of most of the British Empire. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you would be surprised knowing what all i see, register and take anew into consideration on a daily basis. of course i care a flying fàrt how the British Pound or the South Pacific cowrie shell currency fared a hundred years ago. also i don't believe in the tale that history repeats itself. i am aware that the global financial situation will be up shit creek sooner or later. but not today and not tomorrow. that means my assets have to work at least today and tomorrow earning income and/or generating capital gains based on the best of my abilities judging a situation.

day after tomorrow might be different. and if it is different i will again adjust to the best of my abilities. i will not join the wailing wall and those standing there chanting "the sky will fall".

• Like 1

Spent a few summers in Paleochora. And walking the Samaria Gorge. Edited by yoshiwara

Usually a change like we are talking about isn't linear. When people stop believing in a currency and there are other options, it tanks.

France plans currency swap line with China: paper, Fox Business-3 hours ago Bank of England to set up a reciprocal three-year yuan-sterling swap line with China. China and Brazil have signed a currency swap deal. April 10 China and Australia started direct trading of their currencies on Wednesday. - direct trading between the yuan and the Japanese yen in June 2012 - the yuan is also directly traded with the U.S. dollar. Since 2008, China has signed bilateral currency swap agreements with over 20 countries and regions across the world, with total capital amounting to over 1.6 trillion yuan (255.8 billion U.S. dollars). Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/04/12/france-plans-currency-swap-line-with-china-paper/#ixzz2QKZtjvzw Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

China total exports in 2012 = USD 2.05 trillion (source: CIA factbook)

China total swap agreements signed since 2008 = USD 256 billion = 1.25% of 2012

coffee1.gif

It still represents the foundations are being laid for trade minus the need for dollars. Step by step their size will grow. The dollar will be sidelined. Maybe 10 maybe 20 years
These Chinese are long term planners.
I major how large thier gold reserves will be in 10-20 years

Usually a change like we are talking about isn't linear. When people
stop believing in a currency and there are other options, it tanks.

"it" does not apply. virtually all currencies are tanking

vs. the mighty Thai Baht.

USD....28.4700

EUR....37.1638

GBP....43.6450

AUD....29.3450

Why anybody would have a Foreign currency deposit account in this country is beyond me. They charge a percentage for opening it, and also for closing it, and pay almost zero interest.

In relation to the exchange rate, my crystal ball was broken a few years back, and no replacements are available here. Maybe ebay.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. I find having a Foreign currency account helps a great deal. I only transfer bank to bank, no cash, so the only charges are transfer costs which I pay in full at the sending end which I find to be cheaper. I follow the Thai Rate of exchange and when I consider it to be good I transfer from my foreign currency account into Baht and this is done immediately and at the rate shown. Last year I was able to get THB 50.17 to GBP and this high only lasted a couple of hours. To transfer directly from abroad to a THB account takes a few days and you cannot control the ROE, its pot luck what rate you get when the funds arrive. The day I opened my Foreign currency account was a very good day for me. Also Bank transfer always give a better ROE than a cash transaction and the best rate is in Thailand, changing in THB at the sending end gives alower ROE.

I agree with this. I work abroad and get paid in US dollars. Thus, it's definitely the cheapest method to get the dollars into my US dollar account in Thailand rather than play exchange rate roulette wherever you're at. If you exchange a largish sum at my Thai bank (SCB), they'll offer a rate similar to that of the private Money Exchange places which are ALWAYS about 0.50 baht more than the rate you will get at the bank counter. Would love to have the credit card the other poster mentioned though as a second option.

Why anybody would have a Foreign currency deposit account in this country is beyond me. They charge a percentage for opening it, and also for closing it, and pay almost zero interest.

In relation to the exchange rate, my crystal ball was broken a few years back, and no replacements are available here. Maybe ebay.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. I find having a Foreign currency account helps a great deal. I only transfer bank to bank, no cash, so the only charges are transfer costs which I pay in full at the sending end which I find to be cheaper. I follow the Thai Rate of exchange and when I consider it to be good I transfer from my foreign currency account into Baht and this is done immediately and at the rate shown. Last year I was able to get THB 50.17 to GBP and this high only lasted a couple of hours. To transfer directly from abroad to a THB account takes a few days and you cannot control the ROE, its pot luck what rate you get when the funds arrive. The day I opened my Foreign currency account was a very good day for me. Also Bank transfer always give a better ROE than a cash transaction and the best rate is in Thailand, changing in THB at the sending end gives alower ROE.

I agree with this. I work abroad and get paid in US dollars. Thus, it's definitely the cheapest method to get the dollars into my US dollar account in Thailand rather than play exchange rate roulette wherever you're at. If you exchange a largish sum at my Thai bank (SCB), they'll offer a rate similar to that of the private Money Exchange places which are ALWAYS about 0.50 baht more than the rate you will get at the bank counter. Would love to have the credit card the other poster mentioned though as a second option.

both of you, JCauto and Billmont, have played the "exchange roulette" and lost. simple reason: THB continously strengthened since several years. the weakenings in between does not change the net result of the bottom line. period!

both of you, JCauto and Billmont, have played the "exchange roulette" and lost. simple reason: THB continously strengthened since several years. the weakenings in between does not change the net result of the bottom line. period!

I think you perhaps misunderstand. I have no choice in terms of what I get paid, it's US dollars. Hence, my objective is to lose as little as possible whilst converting it to Thai baht. The options are to convert it at source (i.e., outside of Thailand) and lose considerably in the exchange then send it to a Thai baht account, versus sending it in US dollars into a Thai baht account and losing considerably in the exchange arbitrarily, versus sending it in US dollars to a US dollar account then converting it here where my bank offers a preferential rate. This is the reason for a foreign dollar account in Thailand for me.

Carry on.

JCauto:

I think you perhaps misunderstand. I have no choice in terms of what
I get paid, it's US dollars. Hence, my objective is to lose as little
as possible whilst converting it to Thai baht. The options are to
convert it at source (i.e., outside of Thailand) and lose considerably
in the exchange then send it to a Thai baht account, versus sending it
in US dollars into a Thai baht account and losing considerably in the
exchange arbitrarily, versus sending it in US dollars to a US dollar
account then converting it here where my bank offers a preferential
rate. This is the reason for a foreign dollar account in Thailand for
me.

Carry on.

it wouldn't hurt to acquire a bit more logical thinking, some basic arithmetics,

discarding wild assumptions such as "losing considerably" and "preferential

rate" and then look at the final result. until now you have lost. whether you

gain in future is however a different story.

Sorry but you have completely lost me. I earn in Pounds Sterling and live in Thailand and therefore need Thai Baht. How do I get Thai Baht without playing "exchange roulette" as you put it. Do you have some magical method of exchanging GBP into THB without using the standard and accepted routes and at the same time obtain a higher ROE that is normally possible? I try to minimise charges and maximise the ROE and if you can tell me how to improve on both I and many others will very much appreciate it. The fact that currencies fluxuate is beyond my control (maybe not yours)and GBP is weak and the THB continually strenghens which I accept and live with it. I have decided not to hold my breath for your advice which, if positive, will be life changing!

JCauto:

I think you perhaps misunderstand. I have no choice in terms of what

I get paid, it's US dollars. Hence, my objective is to lose as little

as possible whilst converting it to Thai baht. The options are to

convert it at source (i.e., outside of Thailand) and lose considerably

in the exchange then send it to a Thai baht account, versus sending it

in US dollars into a Thai baht account and losing considerably in the

exchange arbitrarily, versus sending it in US dollars to a US dollar

account then converting it here where my bank offers a preferential

rate. This is the reason for a foreign dollar account in Thailand for

me.

Carry on.

it wouldn't hurt to acquire a bit more logical thinking, some basic arithmetics,

discarding wild assumptions such as "losing considerably" and "preferential

rate" and then look at the final result. until now you have lost. whether you

gain in future is however a different story.

My irony meter just went off the scale...

Let me type more slowly so you can understand it better. I get paid in US dollars in a foreign country. I need that currency to be available to me in a short time in Thailand in Baht. My goal is to get those US dollars in a foreign country into Thailand and converted into Baht so that I can use it to buy beer. And maybe other things. So I have a relatively limited range of options, the cheapest of which is to send US dollars to Thailand, then convert them in large enough quantities that my bank ups the foreign exchange rate to that which private moneychangers offer. There, do you understand now?

rolleyes.gif

The US Federal Reserve is printing $85,000,000,000 (87 billion) USD each and every month. Has been for a while and has stated that this will continue until unemployment is below 6.5% (currently at about 7.1 %), which will likely be sometime in 2014.

When the US government is printing money (a lot of money) out of thin air every month what do you think is going to happen to the value of those dollars?

The US Federal Reserve is printing $85,000,000,000 (87 billion) USD each and every month. Has been for a while and has stated that this will continue until unemployment is below 6.5% (currently at about 7.1 %), which will likely be sometime in 2014.

When the US government is printing money (a lot of money) out of thin air every month what do you think is going to happen to the value of those dollars?

most people fail to understand that nobody in the U.S. "prints" any money. correct is that fictitious money is generated mainly to purchase a part of newly issued sovereign debt to keep prevailing interest rates low which is supposed to stimulate the economy. not soon, but in the long run this will affect the Dollar's value. but in the long run the Dollar's value will be affected by the already existing debt ex those monthly $85bb which are only the icing on the cake.

the markets are well aware of the situation, but there is no panic or an actual flight out of the Dollar for multiple reasons (too many and too complex to elaborate). this and similar critical situations in other countries balance the negative impacts on the Dollar... for now. that exceptions (e.g. Thai Baht) exist goes without saying.

• Like 1

Hi All.

I live on a small uk pension and private money and yes times are getting harder. Blame Thaksin..He is behind everything this Gov does.In the past he used the rice scam and he uses it again now, he hsed the same scam with lam yai, and go back to 97 when he made large amounts of Baht by telling the then PM to de-valueThaksin tends to use scams from the past if they were successful, Do not have a lot of money in your Thai Bank dollars pounds or anything , When Thailand is in the same boat as Greece and up to its eyes in debt,as sure as Thailand is Bhuddist Devaluation will happen and only Thaksin will make large amounts of money, You read it here first, and I have no Crystal Ball.

fredro

Hi All.

I live on a small uk pension and private money and yes times are getting harder. Blame Thaksin..He is behind everything this Gov does.In the past he used the rice scam and he uses it again now, he hsed the same scam with lam yai, and go back to 97 when he made large amounts of Baht by telling the then PM to de-valueThaksin tends to use scams from the past if they were successful, Do not have a lot of money in your Thai Bank dollars pounds or anything , When Thailand is in the same boat as Greece and up to its eyes in debt,as sure as Thailand is Bhuddist Devaluation will happen and only Thaksin will make large amounts of money, You read it here first, and I have no Crystal Ball.

fredro

No pun intended here but this is the typical mindset of the masses. Blaming others for a personal outcome. All what you are facing now is a chain of consequences for what you did and what you did not so it is not and never was they against us but always you against you. Take responsibility for your situation first then start to work on changing it and don't tell me you are too old or have no chances because it is never too late.

Phuphaman sounds a bit like Superman when he was asked for his name after getting his teeth punched out from Lex Luthor....

• Like 1

There, do you understand now?

you win, i bow my head in shame and awe when i recognise a genius especially...

if he possesses a wealth of no idea laugh.png

Naam are you not being a little unfair?

If I read you correctly you are saying they lost because they did not move £/$ in one lump some years ago so as not to suffer the slings and arrows of declining rates vs. the baht. The two posters were saying they were shifting current ongoing earned income into baht from the currency they are being paid in (and presumably have no choice in that) - so maybe no actual savings before or were not living in Thailand before to make that decision.

Or is it just because you believe that by hoarding the income and then trying to time the rates is a waste of time?

If I have misunderstood (happens often I am told smile.png ) then please explain gently......

most people fail to understand that nobody in the U.S. "prints" any money. correct is that fictitious money is generated mainly to purchase a part of newly issued sovereign debt to keep prevailing interest rates low which is supposed to stimulate the economy. not soon, but in the long run this will affect the Dollar's value. but in the long run the Dollar's value will be affected by the already existing debt ex those monthly $85bb which are only the icing on the cake.

the markets are well aware of the situation, but there is no panic or an actual flight out of the Dollar for multiple reasons (too many and too complex to elaborate). this and similar critical situations in other countries balance the negative impacts on the Dollar... for now. that exceptions (e.g. Thai Baht) exist goes without saying.

Yes money is created when the FED buys bonds, writing a check that increases the money supply.

Gee, when individuals do that its called "insuficient funds", the check bounces and the poor schmuk is sent to jail.

I'm changing my name to Fed smile.png

Yes money is created when the FED buys bonds, writing a check that increases the money supply.

Gee, when individuals do that its called "insuficient funds", the check bounces and the poor schmuk is sent to jail.

I'm changing my name to Fed smile.png

money supply does not increase if/when FED buys "own" bonds.