New Borns And Drinking Water

BIGJIMMY

Our little fella is now 8 weeks old and the Mrs has been giving him water after milk to 'clean his mouth' the last time we went to the Dr's the Dr said that a little bit is okay, i've been looking this up on the net and EVERY website says it's a NO NO until at least 6 months old and even then little sips. Our baby now drinks it for a good few minutes a few times a day, the wife was fed water when she was a baby as were her brothers and sisters and the Mother In Law was adamant that it's not a problem, this being Thailand etc etc and our first baby whereas the M.I.L has had 4 and upteen grandchildren etc, i've said no more water for now as I would like to ask a different Dr.

Anyone with a similar experience and their wife?

Thanks

Jimmy

Normally no need to feed water for the first few months as the mothers milk is sufficient for the baby's hydration needs. At that age, the stomach cavity is very small and if fed water, the child may feel full and not drink sufficient milk. Also eliminates chances of water borne bacteria. If being fed with formula milk, you are already mixing water. And many mothers will wash the mouth by feeding a little water at the end. Only mothers milk & no water for at least 3 months will be best. But dont get too worked up if they give some water.

• Like 1

Interesting. We just had a baby last week. Almost premature at 37.5 weeks. Had the 1 week checkup at the hospital, a nice private one in Bangkok B.Care Medical and the doc was saying to giver her a little water.

Now I'll have to research from people who have absolutely definitely not bought their Doctorate. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

• Like 1

usually in warmer climates it is advised to give babies & toddlers water in between milk feeds but never before a milk feed & never in place of one.

it wont hurt the baby but must make sure that the milk is being given first.

• Like 1

Rinsing the babies mouth with a little clean pure water after feeding is a good idea and can keep there tongue from becoming coated white. A little is the key, suckling for 2 or 3 minutes would be too long. But is the baby sucking the whole time or just playing with the nipple. Ours just chews on the nipple most of the time and gets the odd squirt of water.

To help answer your question I suggest you read the information to this link:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002455.htm

Many very reasonable reasons why not to give infants water.

There are many ideas on what to do and what not to do with young babies. Thailand is filled with many urban legends, wives tales, because grandma told me so, and that's way we brought up our kids. This does not make it right nor does it make it wrong but asking professionals about the care of a small infant is strongly advised ignoring what others might say. Listen to the doctor, cautiously.

My son is 9 months old now and didn't drink any water for the first 5 months. Like someone said earlier babies get all the hydration they need from breast milk/formula. It is advisable to wipe your babies tongue with a damp cloth, if they'll let you.