Norwegian Killed In Traffic Accident In Thailand

webfact

Posts containing a link to another forum have been removed:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for all you who dont like the way thais drive, either learn to deal with it, or take a bus to suvarnabhumi, get on a plane and go back wherever you came from.... really tired of farong complaining about everything,,,, you dont have to live in this country, you are all here by choice,,, live with it or get the **** out,,,, but please just stop your old-man whining...

RIP to the norwegian man, and all the best to his gf for a speedy recovery

+1 At last someone with some common sense.

Side note to anyone negotiating any road junction here, Watch the traffic not the lights. Regardless of what the Honda Jazz driver did or didn't do, had the bike rider looked at the traffic he would have seen that the Jazz wasn't going to stop.

live with it or get out attitude. i dont see any common sense except the typical apologetic behavior with profanity

given that mentality, one would never improve

Who is going to improve and why? I assume you are a visitor in this culture just like I am. I accept that things here are different. Not worse or better just different. I learn to live with the difference. Adapt , adopt ,improve. notice the first one is adapt, and the second one....

Almost got creamed big time on the superhighway heading into town from Big C when I was on my bike. I didn't follow the golden rule of watch the traffic first and the lights second. A waited a few seconds, didn't see anything coming and went to move. My buddy blasting his horn behind me, stopped me getting creamed by a red light runner at speed. Lesson learnt, ignore the lights on change and watch the traffic. Would love to see red ligth cameras here, though it wouldn't matter if locals officially lost their licenses, they would still drive / ride.

It is now written in Norwegian internetfora that the woman also died because of huge injuries in the accident. Tree motorbikes was wiped over by the same car....

Tragic

it is tragic, yet these same idiots who cause the crashes keep doing what they do and not held accountable sad.png

Edited by Garry

RIP. The first lesson to learn driving in Thailand is to never trust a green traffic light. I live in this country and accept the way things are done and the lax enforcement of laws but this is one law that should be enforced. I don't advocate a nanny state or anything like one, I hate the way many things are done in the west now, but jumping red lights is criminally dangerous and needs to be stamped out.

But if they start enforcing the smaller laws, people might follow the bigger ones.

Corruption thrives on lawbreaking

The entire short list I have provided can all be done in less than a few seconds while driving it is just conditioning your mind to do it. As for part D, is simple! it doesn't kill people in fact all studies show that it saves lives. The meaning is simple, if you are sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green as soon as it is green counting 1,2,3, allows for most if not all red light runners to go by. By doing this simple thing you don't assume it is clear like Thai driver and take off as there is no tomorrow! while counting the Big picture is you are looking left or right and counting 1,2,3, doesn't mean you can take off after that like a Thai driver! You still have to get the Big Picture by constantly looking and that means my other rules apply now! Get the Big Picture by looking ahead, left right never assume.

Ask yourself would you be better off here in Thailand to count 1,2,3, look before proceeding or taking off as soon as the light turn green? Counting doesn't cost you a thing?

I think the idea of counting 1,2,3 before proceeding at an intersection is dumb. You'd have to count to 20 at many intersections and by that time the guys behind you are getting very upset.

The best idea is to consider all intersections as uncontrolled and proceed with caution AT ALL TIMES.

If you use some common sense, it might seem dumb to you just like all the dead Thais in this country who didn't? Counting to 20 seconds is dumb just for the reason you stated! Think about what you are saying agree to disagree we are talking about a intersection control by red and green lights. I like to use this saying K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid!

If you are in front of the intersection when the light turns green just don't take off, give it a couple of second, next time instead of complaining and calling it dumb give it a try? No one expects you to count to 20, it is obvious what is going to happen. As I say! get the big picture and use whatever time you think is right but here in Thailand as it turns green and you just take off assuming you have the right away just put you in a position for something to happen and if you do it will like just assuming and entering the intersection thinking you have the right away! you are dealing with your life! Adjust your timing and driving to the condition of the road if you have the light proceed with caution even if you want to use 1 second or 1 hour!

Before you respond again if you are in Thailand particularly in Pattaya next time stand in the corner and watch the light change and count tell me how many cars run that light in 3 seconds. 3 seconds can save someones life is it worth not doing is your life that meaningless that you can't wait 3 seconds to go somewhere?

The entire short list I have provided can all be done in less than a few seconds while driving it is just conditioning your mind to do it. As for part D, is simple! it doesn't kill people in fact all studies show that it saves lives. The meaning is simple, if you are sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green as soon as it is green counting 1,2,3, allows for most if not all red light runners to go by. By doing this simple thing you don't assume it is clear like Thai driver and take off as there is no tomorrow! while counting the Big picture is you are looking left or right and counting 1,2,3, doesn't mean you can take off after that like a Thai driver! You still have to get the Big Picture by constantly looking and that means my other rules apply now! Get the Big Picture by looking ahead, left right never assume.

Ask yourself would you be better off here in Thailand to count 1,2,3, look before proceeding or taking off as soon as the light turn green? Counting doesn't cost you a thing?

I think the idea of counting 1,2,3 before proceeding at an intersection is dumb. You'd have to count to 20 at many intersections and by that time the guys behind you are getting very upset.

The best idea is to consider all intersections as uncontrolled and proceed with caution AT ALL TIMES.

If you use some common sense, it might seem dumb to you just like all the dead Thais in this country who didn't? Counting to 20 seconds is dumb just for the reason you stated! Think about what you are saying agree to disagree we are talking about a intersection control by red and green lights. I like to use this saying K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid!

If you are in front of the intersection when the light turns green just don't take off, give it a couple of second, next time instead of complaining and calling it dumb give it a try? No one expects you to count to 20, it is obvious what is going to happen. As I say! get the big picture and use whatever time you think is right but here in Thailand as it turns green and you just take off assuming you have the right away just put you in a position for something to happen and if you do it will like just assuming and entering the intersection thinking you have the right away! you are dealing with your life! Adjust your timing and driving to the condition of the road if you have the light proceed with caution even if you want to use 1 second or 1 hour!

Before you respond again if you are in Thailand particularly in Pattaya next time stand in the corner and watch the light change and count tell me how many cars run that light in 3 seconds. 3 seconds can save someones life is it worth not doing is your life that meaningless that you can't wait 3 seconds to go somewhere?

I ride my bike about 6000 km per year around Central Pattaya. I really don't need to stand at an intersection to see how it goes.

Sometimes I may take off quickly. Other times I may have to wait for 1 - 10 cars or so barrelling on through after the light turned green. That could take a few seconds or a lot more.

The advice was simple. Don't bother counting. Just use your eyes and watch out for the red light jumpers. Everytime you go through an intersection you must watch for red light jumpers.

• Like 2

Many years ago I was in Nigeria and there the lights seemed to work in reverse.

They expected drivers to run red lights to the extent that if the light was green they would stop and proceed with caution - amazing.

Maybe it will get to that in Thailand?

On a bike at a big intersection let the cars go first and don't be last heading through.

• Like 1

They expected drivers to run red lights to the extent that if the light was green they would stop and proceed with caution - amazing.

IMO countdown to red and green is very dangerous. People speed up to make green.

Posts containing a link to another forum have been removed:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Well that's as maybe and having seen the pics it is unfortunately exactly where I thought it would be. The new intersection from the sirikit center and the mitrapaap.

That junction is truly a shocker for red light runners.

IMO countdown to red and green is very dangerous. People speed up to make green.

Indeed, in the UK, Amber jumpers were always a problem

Sad.....I have ridden a motorcycle here for 13 years straight. About 10 years ago I had the green light, and a Thai ran the red light and crashed into me. So I now have a wrecked shoulder for life...... Now when the light turns green for me, I wait a few seconds for all the orange light runners to clear the intersection before proceeding. If I come up to a green light, I slow down a bit and check in both directions before I cross.

Sorry to hear that. We all learn the hard way.

Never be the first or the last one through green light. I always let Thais go first, as it seems they are all in a hurry anyway. Seen many get plowed over the years. I also never sit in the middle of the road with my bike, always hug as close to whatever shoulder lane I'm in and keep eyes behind me too. Seen a few guys get drilled from cars speeding from behind trying to run the light and run right over the bike.

Sitting at a traffic light has me at a heightened state of alert, as you never know where it could be coming from.

years back saw a driver run a red light and plough into a motor bike ...killed instantly ...sickening sight .....i kid u not about a week later same spot almost a recurrence and it was the SAME driver ...apparently he had connections ...red lights here mean nothing

Neither does life.

I ride my bike about 6000 km per year around Central Pattaya. I really don't need to stand at an intersection to see how it goes.

Sometimes I may take off quickly. Other times I may have to wait for 1 - 10 cars or so barrelling on through after the light turned green. That could take a few seconds or a lot more.

The advice was simple. Don't bother counting. Just use your eyes and watch out for the red light jumpers. Everytime you go through an intersection you must watch for red light jumpers.

Boy you aren't too fast up there are you? You come in second again? I do much more than that on my Honda click 2006, per year minimum 18,000, First my list is just a guideline and in my 40 plus years as a commercial driver,instructor, and a certified DMV tester I can do all the above in seconds and it is second nature. The few items I cited have worked well in Pattaya and I don't just ride Central Pattaya, I'm pretty sure the KM, I do on my road bike yearly is more than the 6,000 you do on your motorbike. The disagreement we have is that you actually feel like most normal drivers who never have driven anything more that a large SUV to understand that you don't actually sit there and count 1,2,3 we are actually in agreement because 1.2.3 is just a starter you yourself although you want to just disagree is already doing that and more and more is making sure it is all clear even if it takes 20 cars. You already ARE DOING THE BIG PICTURE, except when reading it you don't!

Your one of those guys that live in Pattaya that I have seen over coffee and such talk and correct people when someone says it cost me around 200 baht, you have to say you're wrong it cost 199 baht!

RIP. The first lesson to learn driving in Thailand is to never trust a green traffic light. I live in this country and accept the way things are done and the lax enforcement of laws but this is one law that should be enforced. I don't advocate a nanny state or anything like one, I hate the way many things are done in the west now, but jumping red lights is criminally dangerous and needs to be stamped out.

Wow!

Yeah... good idea! Just cherry- pick the rules you think are important to follow and the rest ...mai pen rai!

Seems that at least one guy thought, a red light is not that important!

In my humble opinion, all you who came from the west, because Thailand is no nanny- state, should get your head fixed!

RIP to the victim and all the best to his wife!

Think you missed my point, personally I follow all the rules. What I am saying here is that to live in another country you need to accept the way things are, however, some rules when broken are rather more important than others, the red light here being the case in point.

You can follow all the rules yourself, but how do you you protect yourself from the stupidity and arrogance of others. The driver will probably get a slap on the wrist and a 1000 baht fine!bah.gif

Very sad indeed.

Very true! The sad thing is these drivers always seem to get away with it at the expense of others. The amount of times I have almost prayed for a 40 ton truck to come around the corner when these idiots jump a red light or overtake on a blind bend on the wrong side - sadly it never happens! It always seems to be the most vulnerable that cop it - What happened to Karma?

Lets face the truth and get back to basic.

The RTP are the blame for just about all traffic accidents, because they just do NOT bother to do what they are paid to do, and that's POLICE the traffic laws, they are just too bloody lazy!

On saturday evening i was stopped behind another car waiting for the red light to go green, when a vehicle smashed into the back of me, knocking me into the vehicle in front. Concerned for the elderly couple in the front car, i immediately got out and went to see if i could help them. The car behind and the cause of the accident then just backed back and drove off. I got his number and gave it to the police. They just did'nt want to know and were only interested wether i had insurance and licence which i did otherwise i expect they would have made me pay the front car owners. These bloody coppers are so lazy.

for all you who dont like the way thais drive, either learn to deal with it, or take a bus to suvarnabhumi, get on a plane and go back wherever you came from.... really tired of farong complaining about everything,,,, you dont have to live in this country, you are all here by choice,,, live with it or get the **** out,,,, but please just stop your old-man whining...

RIP to the norwegian man, and all the best to his gf for a speedy recovery

I live here.

I spend 100% of all my money and salaries here.

I feed my family (wife) and her family.

I contribute with more funds to the society than 99% of the population does.

I have earned the damn right to complain about stuff here.

So complaining is the way to go....

But what is it that you are complaining about? (Consider that I do not have time to read a brick)

Get it in your thick head "Its his xxxx right" so mind your own business...............Get it !

Edited by oldsailor35

Very sad, RIP.

As other posters say, the only way to be safe here is trust nothing. I ride a big bike every day and the way to stay alive is to manage risk.

Green lights, pedestrians (do thais even get taught to look left/right when crossing), soi dogs, garbage, taxi drivers off their face on Yabba etc etc..

Keep doing those life savers people!

I also ride a big bike everyday and you are correct that you really have to manage your risk.

I always assume that I am invisible, meaning, that nobody sees me. I only see them and therefore I have to be very careful.

What difference does the size of the bike make, are you more vulnerable, less vulnerable, more of a man, or what?

With a big bike you can stay in control...i.e. ahead of the cars not in the pack, in the correct position on the road, not on the side of the road. might be hard concept to realise but it really does work.

And you are able to go much faster than anyone else..........smart hey! coffee1.gif

Boy you aren't too fast up there are you? You come in second again? I do much more than that on my Honda click 2006, per year minimum 18,000, First my list is just a guideline and in my 40 plus years as a commercial driver,instructor, and a certified DMV tester I can do all the above in seconds and it is second nature. The few items I cited have worked well in Pattaya and I don't just ride Central Pattaya, I'm pretty sure the KM, I do on my road bike yearly is more than the 6,000 you do on your motorbike. The disagreement we have is that you actually feel like most normal drivers who never have driven anything more that a large SUV to understand that you don't actually sit there and count 1,2,3 we are actually in agreement because 1.2.3 is just a starter you yourself although you want to just disagree is already doing that and more and more is making sure it is all clear even if it takes 20 cars. You already ARE DOING THE BIG PICTURE, except when reading it you don't!

Your one of those guys that live in Pattaya that I have seen over coffee and such talk and correct people when someone says it cost me around 200 baht, you have to say you're wrong it cost 199 baht!

You're back at it again? I thought this discussion was done already.. but you're decided to come back flaming....

I don't cover long distances - all my riding is in Pattaya Central and this is the area I know very well. 6000 km per year in Pattaya Central is more than enough to know all the main intersections very well.

As I said, the counting stuff is dumb. You don't count, you look. Sometimes you can go straight away, sometimes you wait.

.. and you won't see me arguing over 1 baht. There's a good chance you would though.

Edited by tropo

You're back at it again? I thought this discussion was done already.. but you're decided to come back flaming....

I don't cover long distances - all my riding is in Pattaya Central and this is the area I know very well. 6000 km per year in Pattaya Central is more than enough to know all the main intersections very well.

As I said, the counting stuff is dumb. You don't count, you look. Sometimes you can go straight away, sometimes you wait.

.. and you won't see me arguing over 1 baht. There's a good chance you would though.

Sorry If I'm back, I thought the last time you might have gotten what I was trying so hard to explain to you! I think the majority of people here understand what I'm trying to get across.

Yes, flaming that is what I've done with you only because I'm just irritated that you are having a hard time understand the concept of this rule maybe because of my flaming? So I hope you can accept my apologise for doing that!

As for the 6,000 KM, just responding since you brought it up so I thought it was only right I responded back. Because I think we can agree it doesn't take a rocket scientist to travel 1 KM in Thailand to figure out what to do.

But in the end, The rule in commercial driving 1,2,3, is just that it isn't to be taken to its rule exactly which you repeatly have let everyone know that it is dumb and one doesn't need to actually count 1,2,3, at each intersection here or anywhere else. When I train a student to be a commercial driver and for the first time I give them this rule.. Yes there is some expectation that they start to count out loud but the excercise is to mentally drill it into their head and when it time to give them their road test I don't expect them to call out each time 1,2,3. it is a training tool to make them think and have it embedded into their heads so that it becomes natural or second nature to them!

You are in many ways doing just that why because you come from the West? You have gone through many of the education and training that Thais have never gone through. This is exactly as soon as the light turns green you make sure all the traffic has gone by prior to going through. Second nature have taught you to do this or turning your head and moving your eyes is the same as counting 1,2,3, just not out loud! You wait but most Thais don't and even I've seen Farangs do the same. Just a few days ago, at Sukhumvit and Pattaya Klang and old Farang was packing his girlfriend and her two young kids on the bike and traffic was heavy all with no helmet! As soon as the light change he started to take off like a Thai, I like you looking and waited ( which is the same as maybe counting 1.2.3 ) The closes lane the car stop but like you I knew something on the outer lane will fly through that is a 99% chance it was going to happen and it did and I yelled out to the Farang, to be honest because of the kids, and he heard me and stopped. When he got to the light at Pattaya Klang I pull up I said something to him, he looked at me because he thought I was a Thai but speaking English to him. Basically, I told him as a Farang and I know you are having a good time and trying to fit in but you should be ashame of yourself. Have you no idea what you are doing and the price you might have to pay if those kids get hurt or die.

To my surprise, he looked at me and told me to go <deleted> myself. Not because I was wrong it was because I was right and he wanted to boost his ego in front of the wife and kids. I told him the only reason why I don't get off this bike and open a can of whip Ass on you skinny white ass is because I don't want your Thai wife and her kids to have to remember this night? I told him if you are serious here is my number give me a call. He just sat there silently and just before I took off I told him " just what I thought " I wasn't looking for a fight but it piss me off why because I see this everyday with Thais but as Farangs we should know better and I hope that our little verbal confrontation he might learn something which I would never be able to get across to a Thai?

This I hope ends our conversation and I hope you can except my apologise for the flaming we just got off on the wrong foot. This time of the year Songkran I get in a real bad and nasty mood. Not because of the celebration but because of a personal experience I had a few years back?

Signing out on this topic 1,2,3.......

Edited by thailand49

I also had a Farang chastise me on how I rode once - that was after having lived here for about 5 years. I told him where to go too - I wasn't doing anything dumb like your example with his wife and kids, but I know how he feels. He didn't offer to give me an ass-whipping though, so I was lucky.thumbsup.gif

One of the most important things to do on the roads here is to stay calm. It's not always easy but it gets easier with practice.

I also met a fellow from Norway visiting Korat staying near The Mall and living in Khon Kaen. He was a very nice guy and I believe his wife was a nurse. I also believe he had a young daughter He had purchased a 250 CBR in Thailand and was very interested in seeing the sights of Thailand with his friend in Korat. He was a very intelligent and kind person. I am very sad to hear of this and it made me once again aware that each day is a gift. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

RIP and best wishes to his wife for recovery.

I read in a Norwegian news paper that an average of 65 Norwegians die in Thailand each year.

Most in swimming and road accidents.

More than one per week.

This is a big number considering Norway's small population.