Hotel Complaints. Do I Use Confrontation? Or, Telepathy?

OldChinaHam

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a hotel owner in Thailand, hands on owner who works 16 hour days.

Firstly you need to remember that sadly many staff do not care and most importantly do not remember to pass on the messages

I know it sounds far fetched, but it is a fact here, they simply forget to let the manager/owner/maintenance know about the problem

Secondly (not saying it is your case) but many times guests can be very unreasonable with requests, time frames and actual times.

Example being, if problem arises at night, there really is not much can be done, unless you are staying in a 5 star hotel with 24 hours maintenance staff and even then, they may not have the tools or parts needed to fix.

Weekends also pretty hard, as most trades people in Thailand, simply turn off their phones or promise to come, but not show up

I know from personal experience, majority of things are easily fixed, but easily fixed for me, not my Thai staff.

Examples

TV not work, just need to check the arial connection, the "source" and as silly as it sounds if its plugged in

Show leaking, just a simple change of shower head.

I can only suggest, asking to speak with a manager and "ask" if he/she was aware of the problems in the room. In many cases, as i said, staff forgets to pass on the message or just forgets all together.

I must though say(again may not be the case with OP) but if the guest is a real ass in a number of ways, including the tone, the manner and a cheap charlie who does not tip or even says a thank you, staff will simply ignore anything and everything NOT ONLY because they do not care, but as a way of "pay back" for guest being an ass.

I have never understood the need to tip Hotel Staff for doing a service which you have paid for?

I stayed on Ko Samet last month, Checked in and one of the Staff wheeled my case 20 yards to the room, got in the room and he impolitley said "Give me tip" with his hand out

Suffice to say he got nothing

I don't mind tipping for good service in the right place but detest staff who give a bad service and expect a tip and even more the ones who ask for one

Firstly you need to remember that sadly many staff do not care and most importantly do not remember to pass on the messages

I know it sounds far fetched, but it is a fact here, they simply forget to let the manager/owner/maintenance know about the problem

Secondly (not saying it is your case) but many times guests can be very unreasonable with requests, time frames and actual times.

Example being, if problem arises at night, there really is not much can be done, unless you are staying in a 5 star hotel with 24 hours maintenance staff and even then, they may not have the tools or parts needed to fix.

Weekends also pretty hard, as most trades people in Thailand, simply turn off their phones or promise to come, but not show up

I know from personal experience, majority of things are easily fixed, but easily fixed for me, not my Thai staff.

Examples

TV not work, just need to check the arial connection, the "source" and as silly as it sounds if its plugged in

I can only suggest, asking to speak with a manager and "ask" if he/she was aware of the problems in the room. In many cases, as i said, staff forgets to pass on the message or just forgets all together.

I must though say(again may not be the case with OP) but if the guest is a real ass in a number of ways, including the tone, the manner and a cheap charlie who does not tip or even says a thank you, staff will simply ignore anything and everything NOT ONLY because they do not care, but as a way of "pay back" for guest being an ass.

I have never understood the need to tip Hotel Staff for doing a service which you have paid for?

I stayed on Ko Samet last month, Checked in and one of the Staff wheeled my case 20 yards to the room, got in the room and he impolitley said "Give me tip" with his hand out

I don't mind tipping for good service in the right place but detest staff who give a bad service and expect a tip and even more the ones who ask for one

so when you book hotel you believe you also paying for someone to carry your bags and babysit you?

Asking for tip is rude, however "give me tip" is most likely the only English words he knew, if he spoke better English, he would not be carrying bagsthumbsup.gif

Examples

so when you book hotel you believe you also paying for someone to carry your bags and babysit you?

Asking for tip is rude, however "give me tip" is most likely the only English words he knew, if he spoke better English, he would not be carrying bagsthumbsup.gif

No I don't believe that and in most Hotels I will actually carry the Bags myself as I find the Bell boy hanging around in the room for a tip uncomfortable

Not sure where I said that I expect to be babysat? Maybe you can explain that one to me?

When I go to a Hotel I expect to check in, stay and then check out, I don't really expect any further interaction with staff unless there is a problem with the Room and I have stayed in some shit holes in Thailand but cannot remember any time I have actually complained to staff

It doesn't matter how he said or if English is not his first language, asking for a tip is just plain rude wether it be a Bell Boy, Waiter or Taxi Driver

When we go to Tesco do we tip the cashier? Of course not but why not? They are on the same or lower wages as Hotel staff but for some reason Hotel staff, Taxi Drivers ETC we are expected to tip so why not the Cashier at Tesco for example or the Minibus driver, we are expected to tip some low paid workers for the service they provide us but not others, I have never understood that?

Edited by darrendsd

Examples

No I don't believe that and in most Hotels I will actually carry the Bags myself as I find the Bell boy hanging around in the room for a tip uncomfortable

Not sure where I said that I expect to be babysat? Maybe you can explain that one to me?

When I go to a Hotel I expect to check in, stay and then check out, I don't really expect any further interaction with staff unless there is a problem with the Room and I have stayed in some shit holes in Thailand but cannot remember any time I have actually complained to staff

It doesn't matter how he said or if English is not his first language, asking for a tip is just plain rude wether it be a Bell Boy, Waiter or Taxi Driver

When we go to Tesco do we tip the cashier? Of course not but why not? They are on the same or lower wages as Hotel staff but for some reason Hotel staff, Taxi Drivers ETC we are expected to tip so why not the Cashier at Tesco for example or the Minibus driver, we are expected to tip some low paid workers for the service they provide us but not others, I have never understood that?

re read again what i wrote. I said asking for a tip is ruderolleyes.gif

however after doing little extra such as carrying your bags expecting or wanting one is not.

From what you say, you were not going to tip him either way, nor were you going to tip anyone EVEN if they did do anything for you, perhaps hence the reason why you mentioned that you stay or stayed at "shit holes"

And its perfectly fine, some people would live in a dump so they can have money for an extra beer. personally i ONLY take a holiday when i can afford it, enjoy and spoil myself and if that means giving away 70 cents here and there i am happy to do so.

Examples

Lemoncake has already said that staff would never hold their hand out for a tip and it is a figment of our imagination.

A person running a hotel expecting the customers to tip the staff so they get a decent wage instead of actually expecting them to to the the job they get paid for is a very bad manager.

• Like 2

A person that thinks it is acceptable for his staff to make a guests stay miserable because they didn't tip or tipped too little deserves to fire himself for incompetent management.

• Like 1

A person that thinks it is acceptable for his staff to make a guests stay miserable because they didn't tip or tipped too little deserves to fire himself for incompetent management.

Got to agree with that and what makes it worse is that it seems he/she is a Farang manager who really should know better

a person should first run any business before he starts to give out advicerolleyes.gif

Lemoncake you have totally missed my point but never mind

Do your staff get paid a wage by you for providing a service, yes they do, do you expect me to tip your staff, yes you do

Do Tesco's Cashiers get paid a wage for providing a service, yes they do, do you expect me to tip them, no you don't

My point is that they are both low paid workers providing the public a service but we are only expected to tip one of them, why is this?

Why would you expect me to tip a Bell boy for doing his Job?

And no I wouldn't have tipped a guy for carrying my bags, I pay for the room and the service that comes with that room/Hotel

Part of the Bell boy's job is carrying bags, for this he gets paid a wage by the Hotel but you call it a "extra service" but it is not a extra service is it? It is something which he gets paid for and as he is being paid a wage then the Hotel will account for this in the room rate, the same as they account for the costs associated in cleaning the room, washing the bedding etc so I am not getting a "extra service" am I? I am getting everything that is included in the cost of the room

I have a good lifestyle here now and can afford to stay in decent Hotels, I used to stay in shit holes a long time ago when I had no money but even if I stayed at 5 star Hotels I wouldn't tip the staff for a job for which they get paid for the same as I wouldn't tip if I went into a clothing store and bought a new shirt with the help of the assistant, that is because that's what the assistant is paid for, to assist me

You seem to think that people should be tipped for "doing something for you" He is not doing something for me, he is simply doing the job that he is paid to do

No it is you who does not get the point.

Staff do not expect you to tip when you check in, but they do expect you to tip when they carry your bags or spend half a day showing how to use a safe, or spend half a day telling how to get around town.

Clearly you do not even understand the concept of hotel, ONLY 4 and 5 star hotels have bell boys and in 4 and 5 star hotels you pay 20% service charge, In shit holes as you like to call it, there is no job as a bell boy, you do not pay service charge and bell boys rely solely on tips.

If you do not know that, i doubt you ever stayed even in a 3 star hotel, but sounds like you are a guesthouse customerwhistling.gif

Bar person does not listen to your sob stories because he/she likes you, but because he/she is hoping to get a tip

Tesco staff, do nothing but take your money and put it into a bag.

As i said, you made it very clear that you would never tip and do stay in dumps just to save $1-$2, I do not think you would consider any service good service

I am also sure if hotel was to put up the price, you will also be on here complainiingcoffee1.gif

Thankfully there are more people who care about quality than saving $1

Interesting contradiction...

Fascinating stuff.

Here's what I expect from a hotel for the price I paid.

Polite and courteous staff.

Clean room and bathroom where everything works, i.e. everything that is included in the price.

Nothing more nothing less.

If staff members provide beyond what is expected I will tip.

If the service provided is not upto standard I will complain to the management and expect them to do something about it.

Yermanee wai.gif

I also run a hotel we dont really care about tips its not gonna make or break our bussiness,we treat all customers the same tip or not,however we do like our customers to support of resort and book tours, eat and drink in our restaurant etc,if customers are not spending money bringing there own food and drink and all that, we simply claw money back other ways ie no discounts on any thing no freerides into town.

What i have sen at some resorts is the thais being extra nice to customers bringing their you children out and near the customers and what basically looks to me if they are looking for sympathy, telling sad stories so the customer feels sorry for them and leaves a nice tip for the children.

Me personally i rarely tip especially in tourist areas but for instance when i get my haircut for 60 bht or the local guy repairs my scooter for 100 bht they get a tip.

If i do tip in hotels or restaurants its 20 bht and thats it,i work it on the basis if every one tipped 20 bht its more than enough for whoever is recieving these tips.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by taninthai

I also run a hotel we dont really care about tips its not gonna make or break our bussiness,we treat all customers the same tip or not,however we do like our customers to support of resort and book tours, eat and drink in our restaurant etc,if customers are not spending money bringing there own food and drink and all that, we simply claw money back other ways ie no discounts on any thing no freerides into town. What i have sen at some resorts is the thais being extra nice to customers bringing their you children out and near the customers and what basically looks to me if they are looking for sympathy, telling sad stories so the customer feels sorry for them and leaves a nice tip for the children. Me personally i rarely tip especially in tourist areas but for instance when i get my haircut for 60 bht or the local guy repairs my scooter for 100 bht they get a tip. If i do tip in hotels or restaurants its 20 bht and thats it,i work it on the basis if every one tipped 20 bht its more than enough for whoever is recieving these tips. Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Exactly my point before the thread got derailed. 20 baht is sufficient tip, 3 baht or 7 baht for carrying bags is simply an insult.

25 satang tip is an insult, no short of slap in the face.

Better not to tip at all than to tip an insulting amount and then wonder why staff are ignoring you or not doing what they suppose to do

Lemoncake when I say "We" I mean society in general of course, I would have thought that was obvious.

So for example society expects "we" to tip your low paid Hotel staff for doing the job they are employed to do, however you would not and society does not expect a similar low paid employee of Tesco to receive a tip for doing the job they are paid to do

My point is that they are both low paid employees providing the public a service but society only expects us to tip one of them, why is this? This is not a question directed at just you I am curious as to why we think that way

It seems to me that you expect customers to tip your Hotel staff and have commented that a customer who did not had a miserable stay at your Hotel

While it is commendable to try and look after your staff surely your Job as the Hotel manager is A: Make sure that the guest has a enjoyable stay B: Make sure that the guest thinks about returning to stay again, C: Make sure that your guest recommends your Hotel to his friends.

That customer will not do any of the above so can you really say that you have done your job as the Hotel manager to the best of your abilitys?

The answer is no and despite your experience that you keep telling us about, if myself and others on here are telling you the same thing, as in we wouldn't stay at your Hotel do you really think that you are doing your job correctly?

Yes I admire the fact that you have been in the business for X amount of years, I'm sure you will remind us of it again but the points above relay to any type of business in any part of the world not just the Hotel business in Thailand

And yes the guy stuck his hand out but I guess you're never going to believe it anyway

Edited by darrendsd

Lemoncake when I say "We" I mean society in general of course, I would have thought that was obvious.

So for example society expects "we" to tip your low paid Hotel staff for doing the job they are employed to do, however you would not and society does not expect a similar low paid employee of Tesco to receive a tip for doing the job they are paid to do

My point is that they are both low paid employess providing the public a service but society only expects us to tip one of them, why is this? This is not a question directed at just you I am curious as to why we think that way

It seems to me that you expect customers to tip your Hotel staff and have commented that a customer who did not had a miserable stay at your Hotel

While it is commendable to try and look after your staff surely your Job as the Hotel manager is A: Make sure that the guest has a enjoyable stay B: Make sure that the guest thinks about returning to stay again, C: Make sure that your guest recommends your Hotel to his friends.

That customer will not do any of the above so can you really say that you have done your job as the Hotel manager to the best of your abilitys?

The answer is no and despite your experience that you keep telling us about, if myself and others on here are telling you the same thing, as in we wouldn't stay at your Hotel do you really think that you are doing your job correctly?

Yes I admire the fact that you have been in the business for X amount of years, I'm sure you will remind us of it again but the points above relay to any type of business in any part of the world not just the Hotel business in Thailand

And yes the guy stuck his hand out but I guess you're never going to believe it anyway

I am sorry, i did not want to waste my time reading past the first sentence.

We as a society? when did you become a spokesperson for society? Was there a poll that i missed?rolleyes.gif

When people check in to a hotel they have often flown a long way crossing many time zones. Quite possibly been traveling for 24 hours. Are very tired and in the case of a new hotel/city/country are disorientated. They just want to get to their room.They then have to stand waiting at reception until its their turn to go through the check in process. Once it is and they are being dealt with the desk phone rings and the Thai person dealing with you will bloody well answer it! How annoying is that?

Then having carried your bags yourself half way around the world, the bell boy INSISTS on carrying them for 2 minutes the final 20 metres as if you can't manage. Taking all the above into consideration, if it is someone's first time in country, its very possible that in tipping 25 satang they thought they were tipping 25bht.

Often having just arrived in country I have no small change and simply tell them so.

Dripping showers. A common problem in cheaper hotels. Are VERY annoying issue wasting a precious resource and money.

That and other minor room problems I can never understand why previous guests have not reported them?

Front desk staff "forgetting" to pass on problems. May be not "forgetting" at all but quite intentionally, in the Thai way it is not good to burden your superior with problems and therefor more work than he/she already has. Staff need training that in a farang run hotel it IS acceptable.

Suggest a log book is kept behind the desk where room problems are logged as reported & management can look frequently. To be signed off by the person who fixed the problem AND manager. This log could alternatively be kept on computer.

To tip a bell boy 100bht for 2 minutes work is ridiculous. Millions of people work all over Thailand for just 300bht a day - the official minimum wage - although many are still on less.

Sounds to me that Lemoncake's outlook is one time only customers, not building up a returning loyal customer base.

a person should first run any business before he starts to give out advice:rolleyes:

What makes you think I haven't?

If a manager doesn't listen to complaints then he is a moron.

If a manager thinks it is ok for staff to ensure a customer has an unpleasant stay is certifiable moron and should not be running any business at all.

Do you also get the motocy taxis to harrass these guests that won't tip? Where does the unpleasantness end?

Just a decent beating to teach them that because you won't pay staff a decent wage that they have to treat guests like shit?

I think your staff should put all their combined tips together and send you back to business school.

a person should first run any business before he starts to give out advice:rolleyes:

What makes you think I haven't?

If a manager doesn't listen to complaints then he is a moron.

If a manager thinks it is ok for staff to ensure a customer has an unpleasant stay is certifiable moron and should not be running any business at all.

Do you also get the motocy taxis to harrass these guests that won't tip? Where does the unpleasantness end?

Just a decent beating to teach them that because you won't pay staff a decent wage that they have to treat guests like shit?

I think your staff should put all their combined tips together and send you back to business school.

Yes to all of the abovebah.gif

though you forgot the corrupt cops, also use themblink.png

Ok Lemoncake, you are so confident in your managerial skills and how well you run your hotel. How about naming it so we can all book a room there.<br /><br />Surely with you confidence in your skills you will appreciate the extra custom.<br /><br />So come on, you are proud of yourself and confident you know what is best.<br /><br />So just stand by your words and name the hotel you have.

Ok Lemoncake, you are so confident in your managerial skills and how well you run your hotel. How about naming it so we can all book a room there.<br /><br />Surely with you confidence in your skills you will appreciate the extra custom.<br /><br />So come on, you are proud of yourself and confident you know what is best.<br /><br />So just stand by your words and name the hotel you have.

already have enough cheap charlies, no need for morethumbsup.gif stick to 5 star hotels

PS. read up rules before asking for somethingrolleyes.gif

I always get a kick out of reading about westerners wondering why they can't get results in Thailand by doing the same thing they do back home...which is basically to be confrontational in some way. Could be as suttle as body language or the tone of your voice. I suspect voice tone has a lot to do with it since Thai is a tonal language.

That gets you NOWHERE in Thailand and usually has the opposite effect where Thais will just start ignoring you or clam up. Important NOTE: This does not apply to Thais dealing with other Thais. They can do this and get results. However, if you are a Farang you cannot. Just accept that or be forever doomed to fail.

So if you don't happen to have a Thai girl handy for dealing with this stuff for you do what I do. It works! Swallow your pride and pretend it's always your fault. If the service sucks just pretend like it's your fault. You should not have been there at that time, asking for that thing, doing whatever it was you did. Not getting what you asked for, it's your fault for not knowing Thai, not saying it slowly enough...not repeating it 10 times. They got your reservation wrong or no rooms available...yup...all your fault. Whatever it is even if it's absolutely positively NOT your fault in any way, shape, or form you should act as if it is.

If you have the attitude that it's your fault...9 times out of 10 you will get Thais to do the things you want done that they would not normally do if you take the Western approach. There are other ways to go about it but it all comes down to dropping the Western confrontational attitude. For me, that means pretending like it's all my fault...always. Even if you and everyone around you know it's not and they know and everyone around them knows it's not. If you don't believe me just try it. You will have plenty of opportunity on any given day in any given situation in Thailand.

This has nothing to do with showing weakness or supplicating or acting passive or anything that Western culture sometimes associates with swallowing your pride and backing off and accepting blame. Thais don't see it that way so you should not feel like Thais will see it as weakness or see you as some kind of push over to be taken advantage of.

You can apply this simple concept to a lot of different things in Thailand imho including managing Thais. Just remember it is and always will be different for a Farang but if you do some of these simple things you will be amazed at how well things can turn out. I've turned lost reservations or no rooms available into a free upgrades with complimentary breakfast and all sorts of other things. Things that I regularly see a lot of farangs missing out on because they acted too stereotypically farang.

Edited by lapd

• 2 weeks later...

Go and find another hotel, there are usually no shortage of good available rooms, let the know why you are moving out when you settle the bill, no confrontation required and they find they have lost money at the same time.

Only take room for 3 days when you book in.If problems arise they will not fix,tough it out,look for another place,leave after 3 days or if ok extend

• 2 weeks later...