Ok, Whats Changed?

att

OK guys....N` gals.

I was last in Chiang mai in 1988.....I am getting old!

What is the deal now?....I am coming out Monday 27th...Is there anywhere to avoid?

Which place would be good to rent an automobile from?.....Is there a new "must see"

Any info greatly appreciated.

I don`t like stupid people, so please include this in any advice.

OK guys....N` gals.

What is the deal now?....I am coming out Monday 27th...Is there anywhere to avoid?

Which place would be good to rent an automobile from?.....Is there a new "must see"

Any info greatly appreciated.

I don`t like stupid people, so please include this in any advice.

I merely thought that there may have been a nice person who may have had more time than myself to provide me with some starting points :o

Since your reply lacks compassion and a certain degree of humanity, I will just assume that you were having a bad day.

I do not wish to make your day worse.....But you leave me no alternative, you have been rude, sarcastic, pompous and a tad "superior".....It is upon this basis that I invite you to go and <deleted> yourself.......

Thankyou.

OK guys....N` gals.

The deal is that yes, you are getting older. And too, everything in Chiang Mai has changed since 1988 so prepare to be very disappointed if you are expecting to return to some place familiar. You may even get lost a bit if you travel the streets south of the moat as I do at times. The charm that was already begining to fade in the late 1980s has faded completely. Not that Chiang Mai is not now a vibrant city, but not in the same, more intimate way, that it was when you were last in town. Again, if you are expecting to return to something familar to relive some youthful glory days you will get depressed.

Having been around in Chiang Mai for some 10 years, I can only say that Chiang Mai is "going to the dogs", especially since a year of 2/3. I would give up all the cheese, cheap phonecalls and internet usage (and instead internet use a FAX machine) if that would bring back the atmosphere that I felt in Chiang Mai when I first came here. Although the typical Chiang Mai atmosphere still can be felt, it is getting "thinner", thanks to "development".

I NEVER thought that Chiang Mai was charming. Just an ugly, over-populated Asian city. Could never figure out what some folks see in it.

However, I've lived here for years now and have lots of friends and a business, and want to stay.

The restaurants and theatres and health clubs are MUCH better than when I first arrived.

I think that it has improved since 1988, but what do I know? :o

OK guys....N` gals.

Just curious : what was your impression of Chiang Mai in 1988 ?

Excuse the interruption....... The difference in Chiengmai compared to then and now , from a Fallang centric point of view, is that in 1988 when you walked down a side street young girls would giggle, smile and walk over to look at you.... without saying "wat geh' hou' yu stay ?". When you could walk into an upcountry market and the whole bleedin' market would come to a complete halt.

Hmmmm, before the Thais figured us out.....and were not impressed.

In my opinion...if you were in Chiengmai in '88 and have fond memories....be smart, stay home and cherish those memories. Better to head down to Irian Jaya instead.

...Ken

I think it improved loads too.

Of course the feeling has changed. Think back about how you felt the first couple of weeks after meeting your current wife/girlfriend/partner/etc, compared to today. Chances are you felt more excitement the first couple of weeks, but more love now.

It's a change alright, but especially a change within yourself. The excitement isn't coming back, though.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Of course the feeling has changed. Think back about how you felt the first couple of weeks after meeting your current wife/girlfriend/partner/etc, compared to today. Chances are you felt more excitement the first couple of weeks, but more love now.

It's a change alright, but especially a change within yourself. The excitement isn't coming back, though.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Actually I did enjoy the first 7 or so years the most in Chiang Mai. Due to recent heavy "development", the spirituality which gave Chiang Mai its typical colour, is not so "overwhelming" as before. But the question if Chiang Mai is still a good place to be depends on the person who you are and what you are looking for in Chiang Mai.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think you've hit it on the head for me.

Mostly, it's me that has changed, not Chiang Mai.

But, I don't agree about the excitement never coming back.

Honestly, I stiill feel that excitement whenever I'm out exploring around here. Always a new place to go or a new experience to have :o

Edited by Ajarn

> Actually I did enjoy the first 7 or so years the most in Chiang Mai. Due to recent heavy

> "development", the spirituality which gave Chiang Mai its typical colour, is not so

> "overwhelming" as before.

Again I think spirituality is a personal experience, and most definitely not related to any kind of development. Sure, Chiang Mai is growing rapidly, that's because it's a nice place! :o New buildings and roads get built, that's about it. How does that reduce spirituality? Drive up Doi Suthep, past the templle, past the first hilltribe village, then watch the sign pointing right into a short forest trail, then you get to what once was a pagoda or little temple, completely overgrown with ferns and stuff. Go sit there and meditate and find spirituality. :D As the crow flies you're only a couple miles from the city center.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Actually I did enjoy the first 7 or so years the most in Chiang Mai. Due to recent heavy

> "development", the spirituality which gave Chiang Mai its typical colour, is not so

> "overwhelming" as before.

Again I think spirituality is a personal experience, and most definitely not related to any kind of development. Sure, Chiang Mai is growing rapidly, that's because it's a nice place! :o New buildings and roads get built, that's about it. How does that reduce spirituality? Drive up Doi Suthep, past the templle, past the first hilltribe village, then watch the sign pointing right into a short forest trail, then you get to what once was a pagoda or little temple, completely overgrown with ferns and stuff. Go sit there and meditate and find spirituality. :D As the crow flies you're only a couple miles from the city center.

Cheers,

Chanchao

If you cannot experience the spirituality of Chiang Mai, for which I don't blame you, then discussing this matter is of no use. I only want to say this : if greed gets the overhand in a city (this may sound Buddhist, which I am not) then it assaults the soul of a city in its core. No worries though, we can still eat at "Mike's Burger".

Chiang Mai has changed a lot since 1988. Back then it was a medium size town that had little traffic and lots of charm. There were a few foreign restaurants that all had the international menu that Beirstuba still has. There were a couple of bars. The girls were sweet. There were plenty of good Thai restaurants that you could find and one of the reasons that people came to Chiang Mai was to get out of the hustle of Bangkok.

Now, Chaing Mai is a city. Since 1988 every other foriegner that has fallen for a Thai girl has opened a bar, restaurant or tourist oriented business. Tourism is up, however, but a lot of the charm is gone. Chiang Mai is over run with international restaurants serving bad food. There are at least 3 foriegn beer bar centers, which all do no business. There is a Bangkok like sleaze street and corner where the whores are hard core, although there are some good ones in the mix.

Traffic is out of control and during the hot months you can't breath the air. The Thais meanwhile have made sure to issue as many liquor licenses as is possible and there are close to 1 million Thai bars and restaurants. Everyone now owns a car and there are no Rules of The Road. If you can't afford a car then you ride on one of the more than 3 million motorbikes that cram into every available space on the crowded streets.

But all in all the women are still pretty and things are still fairly reasonable. Good luck finding the Chiang Mai of 1988.

att

I would love to stop the clock keep the “romance” of when I first discovered a new place, but, sadly, life isn’t like that.

But the romance is in the individual, as much as the place.

My brother is back in CM this week (after a long time away from LOS) and the waterfalls, Doi Suthep, Doi Pui, Night Bazaar, Walking Road Market, Riverside Restaurant etc., etc., are all on his list.

The Night Safari (even with all its problems) is worth a visit – although the place was pretty empty when I went in January! Take some insect repellent with you.

A visit to some of the Lamphun temples is also an interesting day.

If you are not someone who wants to spend their time in a “westernised” bar watching the “footie”, you will still find plenty of Thai culture to enthral you.

Have a good time (and do spend plenty of time searching the resources of this and other great sites before you go).

Enjoy

> Traffic is out of control

Traffic is being managed better than pretty much anywhere else in Thailand. We have an inner city one-way system that makes sense and reduces the need for traffic lights there, TWO new ring roads with tunnel intersections which channel development away from the center. Main roads in and out of town that are being widened, the Canal Road now connecting with the Mae Rim road in the North and the Middle Ring in the South. The new Sankamphaeng Road..

People have always been predicting Chiang Mai is 'turning into another Bangkok', traffic wise. Well, it ain't happening. With the horrific Bangkok scenario of un-planning as an example what not to do, Chiang Mai is being developed the RIGHT way.

Yesterday in evening rush hour at 6pm I drove from Don Chan intersection (BIG C, so well out of town) to the very center at Thapae in 12 minutes. NO traffic jams whatsoever. That's about the time it takes to clear just ONE main intersection in Bangers..

Yes there are a lot of motorbikes, they're cheap and convenient. Tell me you want all of them to buy cars? :o Bus lines are being developed, the main "problem" being that the Songthaew / Red Bus system works so well!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chiang Mai has changed a lot since 1988. Back then it was a medium size town that had little traffic and lots of charm.

Well it must have changed a lot in one year.

In 1989, the traffic in the Thapae area was pretty much like it is now - terrible - and the downtown area was full of ugly cement shophouses. :o