Sukhumvit Soi 11 Is Not Fun Anymore

supashot

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea that anyone thinks of Soi 11 as a place for serious clubbing is a joke - albeit the odd, big name DJ playing at Bed aside. Many other venues elsewhere in BKK for that.

Bash is not getting the numbers it needs and most I know will not return as it is not living up to it's potential/claim. Now seemingly just another pick up venue for the lonely. I disagree with most on the Q Bar sentiment as I think that it has improved in the last few months with patently less sex workers and no cover charge - still doesn't pull crowds anything like it did 10+ years ago though. I actually have started going back there after a few years of avoiding it like the plague. I have to confess I really like newish Le Derriere room and the range of Absinthe on offer! Bed is of course still pretentious and more about being seen and paying through the nose than anything of real value. (Models night did always offer great eye candy whatever your gender or sexual persuasion - most of those nights seemingly always ended in small parties and near orgies at someones condo. Models being well....you know, models!)

Levels is a great venue and has the 3 distinct areas but never really seems to hit its potential. It waxes and wanes and is suffering from more ladies of the night frequenting - though the recent theme night concepts have been good. Oskar was nice but now seems to be a pick up venue for 30s night working women (who want to look classy drinking wine) seeking older, richer guys - sound familar?. Nest has become boring but the decor always appeals and the manager is a great guy. Above 11 is great and a constant gem. Apoteka is a great little venue with some decent live music on some nights.

Couldn't agree more: soi 11 is nothing else than clubbing parody. It reminds me all the big DJ or singer coming here: they only come they are not trendy anymore. David Guetta few days ago is one example. Clubs only book dj who are on tour and close to Thailand.

The over density of clubs/street bars is killing the soi.

Talking about Qbar used to great place, some nice DJs and fun crowd. After the latest renovation looked great but I also feel the place is dying slowly. In general if you remove the free drinks for the freelancers most clubs would be dead.

Nest is a nice place also, great location, great manager I agree, but damn hot and no air on top. Too bad, but the place start kicking few days per week.

Another place that I forget to mention is the Ritz (behind Qbar) one of those trendy cocktail lounge members only. Been there few times, AMAZING space, best service I saw in Bangkok, but was bored after 3 times. I'm not that desperate to pay a girl no matter how cute she is just to drink with me. They have live band, coyote and some show. Very Thai but worth trying.

"I'm not that desperate to pay a girl no matter how cute she is just to drink with me."

You are Right. That's not a good reason to pay a girl. To drink with you.

I don't think anyone here pays girls just to drink with them.

If I wanted to do that, I have a sister at home I can pay to drink with me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems Bed Supperclub is closing Aug. 31...

A posting on a different TV thread and linking to a BK Magazine piece -- none of which mention the name of the nightclub's operator/management company...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/642525-putting-it-to-bed-bangkok-nightlife-institution-to-call-it-quits-this-august/

• 3 weeks later...

About your comment:

-Rip off/crook taxi who ask 200 to go 1 block away.

True, but there is a simple solution:

Walk to the main Sukumvit road, and stop a taxi driving through. They always use meter in my experience - never had a problem there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

About 8 years ago when I first visited the Soi 11 area, you could find plenty of small bars where you could sit and talk to other westerners who were stopping off for more than one night.

Last week was my first time back in a few years. All of the little bars have been replaced with large commercial pubs or massage parlors. The places I did go to, New Wave, Gullivers, etc. were filled with Arabs who sit at the bar looking angry (no offense to Arabs), and have no desire to speak with westerners (especially Americans).

And yes, every bar and club in Sukhumvit is filled with working girls....what do you expect. This is why it is a popular tourist area.

For us the changes may not be ideal, however, they are in line with an area that is prospering economically. This is good for the locals, especially the small stall owners who sell clothes and electronics. They appear to be thriving.

This part of the world is doing a lot better in general. Prices are falling in line with other large cities in Asia. But compared to cities like Hong Kong, Singapore, and Shanghai, a night out is still peanuts.

Stop complaining wai2.gif

You seem like you are descibing a red light area that could be anywhere in the world. Why so surprised? If you swim in shark infested waters expect to get bitten.

Suggest you change your drinking venues

soi 11 isn't a 'red light area'

All of sukhumvit is a red light area, especially soi 11giggle.gif

Most of the sites you're mentioning above seem to have a common ownership/management element, which might come as a surprise to many considering the breadth and number of different and familiar places that are all within the same group, including QBar.

attachicon.gifPS0807.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0805.jpg

Evidently, crime does pay . . . and very well too.

Having said that, the Coyote restaurant just round the corner from soi 33 on Sukhumvit shut recently (crap food, primadonna staff) and, considering the rate at which Q Bar is giving drinks away to freelancers, it might not be too long before Q Bar follows suit.

It's interesting. I was doing some reading online over the past few days. Via a Google search, I couldn't find a single online article, for example, in the BKK Post on the Eclipse group. But there were quite a few mostly promotional business-oriented articles published by media outlets outside Thailand, such as in Hong Kong and Singapore, that profiled the company and its two original co-founders.

According to those articles, when there's the notion of opening a new restaurant or bar, Eclipse supposedly serves as the manager and operator. But "investors" are the ones who put up the capital to fund the opening of the operation. So in the case of BKK, it certainly would be interesting to know from who/where the investor funds are coming to bankroll those various BKK outlets.

There also was an article by Andrew Drummond last year that described the recent ownership and management changes for Nana Plaza. The mods won't allow the article to be linked here. But if you Google "Eclipse" and "FICO" and "Outlaws", as in the BKK branch of the motorcycle gang, it'll take you straight to that article. Have no idea if it's accurate or not, but it certainly makes for interesting reading.

First off MC not a gang. 2ndly are you saying they own Nana Plaza cause I seriously doubt that

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the sites you're mentioning above seem to have a common ownership/management element, which might come as a surprise to many considering the breadth and number of different and familiar places that are all within the same group, including QBar.

attachicon.gifPS0807.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0805.jpg

Evidently, crime does pay . . . and very well too.

Having said that, the Coyote restaurant just round the corner from soi 33 on Sukhumvit shut recently (crap food, primadonna staff) and, considering the rate at which Q Bar is giving drinks away to freelancers, it might not be too long before Q Bar follows suit.

It's interesting. I was doing some reading online over the past few days. Via a Google search, I couldn't find a single online article, for example, in the BKK Post on the Eclipse group. But there were quite a few mostly promotional business-oriented articles published by media outlets outside Thailand, such as in Hong Kong and Singapore, that profiled the company and its two original co-founders.

According to those articles, when there's the notion of opening a new restaurant or bar, Eclipse supposedly serves as the manager and operator. But "investors" are the ones who put up the capital to fund the opening of the operation. So in the case of BKK, it certainly would be interesting to know from who/where the investor funds are coming to bankroll those various BKK outlets.

There also was an article by Andrew Drummond last year that described the recent ownership and management changes for Nana Plaza. The mods won't allow the article to be linked here. But if you Google "Eclipse" and "FICO" and "Outlaws", as in the BKK branch of the motorcycle gang, it'll take you straight to that article. Have no idea if it's accurate or not, but it certainly makes for interesting reading.

First off MC not a gang. 2ndly are you saying they own Nana Plaza cause I seriously doubt that

Eclipse group own the leases to Nana Plaza.

Went the other week for the first time in ages and it's probably the first time I've properly walked all the way down it.

An absolute tip if truth be told.

More African guys selling drugs than people drinking. Crappy street bars. African and Russian street walkers.

No rush to go back.

• Like 1

Cheap Charlie's Bar (on the left going from the main road, just inside a soi, not too far from the main road), an outdoors bar (not a girlie bar, by the way), is always fun to go to; to have a few beers (reasonably priced) and sometimes chat with tourists and expats from around the world. In my frequent bar-hopping days, it was one of my 'first-stop venues' of the evening.

Edited by JemJem
  • Like 1

Cheap Charlies quite good- good place to meet white chicks-a lot of western women go there since its non threatening in that Thai ladies are essentially banned (they have a notice in Thai saying they are not welcome unless accompanied by a man).

Q Bar, used to be better before they renovated in my opinion- there was one friday night recently and was almost empty- friendly staff though and the 2nd floor outside area is great place to relax and have a sheesha/ chat.

Climax still fun if you have had a few beers and live music is not bad.

Oskar nice food but lots of anglo-saxon Rico Suaves in their 30s-40s(im probably one too haha).

• 4 weeks later...