Thai Banks And Overseas Cash Machines

zoroastra999

I bank with Kasikorn. I also have an account with Barclays UK - which I am thinking of closing: (1) because I don't generally use it (2) because the fees are exorbitant.

The only reason I keep it open is if (heaven forbid!) I need to go back to the Motherland I'll need a bank account - and I've heard that Thai debit cards are unreliable overseas.

Can anybody please comment?

I have used my K-BAnk Visa Debit card, both to make shop purchases and to withdraw cash, successfully in:

UK

Thailand tongue.png

Sri Lanka

Jordan

Malaysia

Singapore

France

Monaco

Dubai

In only about 1% of cases did it not work.

When I travel I have a mobile phone at home (Thailand) that my wife monitors. If I need to authorise and online payment, she simply forwards me the validation code.

I keep a UK visa debit card simply because it's easier to pay for some things directly in the UK from a UK bank.

Other issue you have to watch is buying airline tickets. K-Bank issue a 'virtual' card for making online purchases. That means you can't present the purchasing card on check-in. My UK card is ok for that one too.

I think it's brilliant!

Have a good trip thumbsup.gif

Edited by BoonToong

Likewise I have used my Kasikorn Debit Card throughout Asia and Europe, including the UK and, apart from one cashier who wasn't programmed to the fact that overseas issued cards weren't compatible to the UK 'chip & pin' system, I had no problems.

With respect to the purchase of airline tickets, Kasikorn debit cards can be set up for use online, that means you have a physical card to show when required.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Many thanks - I don't quite understand by a "virtual card for making on-line purchases" if you can add a little to this it would be appreciated.

Also, do you (or does anyone else) have any experience of buying and selling via PayPal at K-Bank (or any other Thai bank). Are there any problems I should be aware of?

Why are you paying fees on your UK Barclays account - they have fee free accounts.

I would strongly recommend not closing your UK account just in case. It is very hard to open an account unless you live in the UK, and even then it can be difficult.

The account I have is an Isle of Man off-shore account. The fees are 10 pounds a month there (quite a hefty percentage of the 300 pounds that are presently keeping the account 'alive'). I don't know if I can make some other arrangement without going through the hassle you mention. The Barclays call centre is so incompetent it beggars belief. Even the simplest enquiry turns into verbal spaghetti.

Difficult to move from the IOM to the mainland, but not impossible.

I've never seen the advantage of offshore banking, higher charges and lower interest rates (if you can get below the current 0.1% in the UK).

Difficult to move from the IOM to the mainland, but not impossible.

I've never seen the advantage of offshore banking, higher charges and lower interest rates (if you can get below the current 0.1% in the UK).

The are plenty of UK accounts paying over 2% at the moment.

Many thanks - I don't quite understand by a "virtual card for making on-line purchases" if you can add a little to this it would be appreciated.

Also, do you (or does anyone else) have any experience of buying and selling via PayPal at K-Bank (or any other Thai bank). Are there any problems I should be aware of?

No problem.........

You apply (I did it online) to K-Bank for a 'K-Web Shopping Card'. If accepted, they simply issue you with all the information that you would normally find on a 'real' visa debit card (long number, expiry date and security code), but no card!!!!

But a previous poster says you can get your 'real' visa debit card set up to accept online payments; wasn't aware of that one (thanks theoldgit, any chance of posting how you did it please?).

When I travel I have a mobile phone at home (Thailand) that my wife monitors. If I need to authorise and online payment, she simply forwards me the validation code.

Online payments is an issue with some Thai accounts when overseas. TMB has a nice arrangement where instead of supplying a one time password by text message on your mobile they will issue you with a security token - a small electronic device that gives you a code. You just enter this and the transactions can proceed. I have one and there was no charge for the device.