Thailand Approves Layout For Formula 1 Circuit

webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'There's many a slip twixt cup and lip' as one Shakespearian racing commentator once said.... and in this case there is a very long way between one and the other.

It would be great for Thailand of course if it came about but compared to the other street circuits of the world and especially those already in F1 Bangkok would be a nightmare to organise. If they do it will be a truly amazing achievement.

Came back from Pattaya last week on the freeway/tollway and already they are using that as a practice circuit. There probably other roads they are already practicing for the jacked up Ford Rangers event or the Black Fortuna handicap.

• Like 2

What a load of rubbish. Its 7km from the Palace to Victory monument going the most direct way. That means that a circuit would be at least 14km long. And thats without a quick detour over the river to pass Wat Arun in Thonburi.

Maybe they used Apple Maps route planner.

No they are using special maps made in Thailand in 1962....

Does Thailand actually hold any international event, in any sports well (world class standard)? Serious Question!

Didn't we have the petanque world championships here recently? And also mountain biking?

But of course they were both held in Chiang Mai. smile.png

This is much closer to reality than most of you might expect. The major reason due to Red Bull wanting it to happen. Don't forget, Red Bull is half-owned by a Thai, and its mainly his push for this to happen here, and he's got major influence in the FIA, and he's going to be sponsoring it as well. F1 has already been staged at many major city circuits, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monte Carlo, Phoenix, and most significantly, Singapore City. If Singapore can close down its entire town center for four days, why can't Bangkok?

Because this is land of make believe!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what they're talking about is a tuctuc tour of Bangkok with the usual stops at overpriced or fake jewellery shops. The places mentioned certainly don't add up to a circuit.

I'd like to see a F1 race live but on a proper circuit where you can see a bit more than a couple of hundred metres of track. Ecclestone won't be a barrier if the money is right.

What a load of rubbish. Its 7km from the Palace to Victory monument going the most direct way. That means that a circuit would be at least 14km long. And thats without a quick detour over the river to pass Wat Arun in Thonburi.

Maybe somebody should show Sports Authority a map of Bangkok:-)

Thais cant read maps!

• Like 1

i think this would be the biggest castastrophe and maybe the biggest wake up call that thailand needs, because the whole world would be watching, i can understand many other asian countries holding it because they are years ahead, singapore,malasyia,shanghai, but thailand thinks itself to be way ahead of what it actually is, i would love to see it here, and would hold my hands up if they pulled it off, but knowing what goes on around here, i doubt it very much, most other city`s street races look spectacular, i cant see bangkok`s looking good at all, but i live in hope,

• Like 1

i think this would be the biggest castastrophe and maybe the biggest wake up call that thailand needs, because the whole world would be watching, i can understand many other asian countries holding it because they are years ahead, singapore,malasyia,shanghai, but thailand thinks itself to be way ahead of what it actually is, i would love to see it here, and would hold my hands up if they pulled it off, but knowing what goes on around here, i doubt it very much, most other city`s street races look spectacular, i cant see bangkok`s looking good at all, but i live in hope,

I would imagine the loss of face over a failure would be horrendous.

Something as simple as asking directions to the track could be entertaining. That is if you have ever tried to get directions from a Thai before, you know the classic non-answer answer you get when asking them something they don't know.

• Like 1

OMFG, you mean they're actually going to go through with this...? The Songkran mortality rates will pale in significance....!

Kill two birds with one stone, hold the race during Songkran. The cars would be on wet tires for sure.

Would love to see a jpeg of the layout proposed and yes, Bangkok approving this does not in any way get approval from F1 at this point. The condition of the roads will need huge upgrading (costing a few Billion no doubt to pay off the poly's involved)but that would have been factored in already. thumbsup.gif

Errr ! I wonder if Bernie has any idea about Thai politics.

Off course he does. Why do you think he's not saying yes or no... money changing hands. And not in Thailand's direction.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

i was thinking the same thing, not an expert on bangkok geography but i know Palace to Victory monument is a lonf trip

anyhow, if they do pull it off, i'll be there for sure

i was thinking the same thing, not an expert on bangkok geography but i know Palace to Victory monument is a lonf trip

anyhow, if they do pull it off, i'll be there for sure

The Thai authorities have probably got it wrong as usual and think they must provide one big circuit for just one lap!

• Like 2

Does Thailand actually hold any international event, in any sports well (world class standard)? Serious Question!

Yes it held the ROC (Race of Champions) in Bangkok last December and it went off very well.

• Like 1