Does Yingluck's Speech In Mongolia Herald Fresh Conflict?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Does the PM's speech herald fresh conflict?

Attayuth Bootsripoom

30205215-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra delivered some aggressive political comments during a speech on Monday during the seventh Ministerial Conference of the Community of Democracies in Ulan Bator, Mongolia, which was attended by political leaders from many countries.

While in Thailand, she rarely makes political comments. And when she actually does, the comments are mostly in a compromising and reconciliatory tone.

Therefore, it was surprising for many political observers that Yingluck became uncharacteristically aggressive while in Mongolia. She spoke against the coup of 2006 that overthrew the government led by her brother, Thaksin Shinawatra.

"If I and my family were the only ones suffering, I might just let it be. But it was not. Thailand suffered a setback and lost international credibility. Rule of law in the country was destroyed. Projects and programmes started by my brother's government that came from the people's wishes were removed. The people felt their rights and liberties were wrongly taken away."

She also publicly criticised the political unrest of 2010 for the first time, blaming the Democrat-led government of the time for the crackdown on red-shirt protesters and the "unfair" legal action against many of them.

"The people of Thailand fought back for their freedom. In May 2010, a crackdown on the protesters, the red shirts Movement, led to 91 deaths in the heart of the commercial district of Bangkok. Many innocent people were shot dead by snipers, and the movement crushed with the leaders jailed or fled abroad. Even today, many political victims remain in jail," she read from her prepared speech.

Although she came to power after her political party won the general election in 2011, "The story is not over. It is clear that elements of the anti-democratic regime still exist," Yingluck said in her speech.

"The new Constitution, drafted under the coup-leaders-led government, put in mechanisms to restrict democracy. A good example of this is that half of the Thai Senate is elected, but the other half is appointed by a small group of people. In addition, the so-called independent agencies have abused the power that should belong to the people, for the benefit of the few rather than to Thai society at large," she said.

It appeared Yingluck's speech was aimed at convincing her foreign audience there was a need to amend the post-coup Constitution.

On April 10, the third anniversary of the bloody clash in 2010 that resulted in many deaths including soldiers and a Japanese photographer, Thaksin told politicians of the ruling Pheu Thai Party through a Skype call that it was time to be serious about constitutional amendment.

Since then, the ruling party has moved full-steam in the direction guided by their self-exiled patriarch.

And they are unlikely to allow any individual or organisation to stand in the way.

The Constitutional Court came under attack after accepting for review a petition against parliamentarians who support constitutional amendment. The plaintiffs, citing Article 68 of the Constitution, accuse the parliamentarians of attempting to overthrow the country's democratic regime.

Without waiting for a court verdict, the Pheu Thai MPs and senators have publicly denied the court's power, starting with refusing to submit to the court their written explanation in response to the petition. A large group of Pheu Thai's red-shirt supporters also has been campaigning outside the Constitutional Court against its judges.

Yingluck's speech in Mongolia is the "last piece of the jigsaw" that has completed the picture. Her speech was clearly part of the push for constitutional amendment in a way that politicians in power want.

This dangerous game could push the opponents of charter change into a corner, but it also could lead to a new round of explosive political conflict.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-02

• Like 1

Noting surer I would say. PM Airhead read a speech prepared for her and may not actually have understand much of it but constant reference to her brother and family wrapped in concern for the country fools no one except those who believe everything a Shinawatra says and can't see how they are being used. Chalerm is to push a bill designed only to get Mr. T back and the red hordes are threatening all sorts of horrors if the constitutional court judges don't do as they are told and it's unlikely to stop there.

The RTP would be well advised to read material on public disorder as when a mob is released it takes on its own dynamic and anything can happen as it get more out of control.

During the last Balkans problem when the US " accidentally " bombed a Chinese Embassy there was an immediate outbreak of " spontaneous " protests in Beijing given nothing happens without official approval but they suddenly ceased after 3 days without explanation. Western embassies and journalists ventured the opinion that the Chinese authorities had realised the danger of actually allowing people to protest in public as they could so easily decide their own agenda and all in the glare of the international media who had been invited to witness the Chinese peoples' " anger ".

• Like 1

She speaks the truth THE PEOPLE VOTED the Thaksins back in, END OF STORY,

They want them running the country, the fact that half the senate is elite cronies placed their by themselves to ensure they don't lose full control, because they want to kling onto power any way they can even if that means having a coup and then manipulating the constitution to their own means.

Tough for you guys to swallow but thats the truth THE POWER SHOULD BE WITH THE PEOPLE and after the coup we went through years of yellow BS only to show the MOMENT the people were given the opportunity to vote they put the EXACT SAME family back in and if Thaksin was here he would be the PM and not his sister.

Thats is the WISH OF THE PEOPLE and that is what counts, gone are the days when the peasants in the fields had no vote, and now they have the yellows dont really like it LOL

So it's alright to be a criminal if you're popular? Are you equating Thaksin with Robin Hood?

You follow the rule of law NOT have a Military Coup

Here is a unique idea

Why dont the yellows help the poor (or be seen to be helping like TT)then the people might actually like the elitists but of course they just want to keep them in the fields where they are no threat and can do as they please.

Sorry those days are over and times are changing.

• Like 2

They want them running the country, the fact that half the senate is elite cronies placed their by themselves to ensure they don't lose full control, because they want to kling onto power any way they can even if that means having a coup and then manipulating the constitution to their own means.

Tough for you guys to swallow but thats the truth THE POWER SHOULD BE WITH THE PEOPLE and after the coup we went through years of yellow BS only to show the MOMENT the people were given the opportunity to vote they put the EXACT SAME family back in and if Thaksin was here he would be the PM and not his sister.

Thats is the WISH OF THE PEOPLE and that is what counts, gone are the days when the peasants in the fields had no vote, and now they have the yellows dont really like it LOL

I am missing any reference to the rule of law. I only read: they voted for PT/Thaksin so let Thaksin do as he wishes.

LOL.

LOL you yellows just never give up hahaha bit like when you said he would be picked up by Interpol and i said never in a million years and I was right YET AGAIN LOL the reason because they were political trumped up charges instigated by a Military coup which the world looked down upon and never gave it any credibility.

get over it

Trumped up charges? Are you saying he didn't sign off on his wife's purchase of state land?
  • Like 1

LOL you yellows just never give up hahaha bit like when you said he would be picked up by Interpol and i said never in a million years and I was right YET AGAIN LOL the reason because they were political trumped up charges instigated by a Military coup which the world looked down upon and never gave it any credibility.

get over it

Trumped up charges? Are you saying he didn't sign off on his wife's purchase of state land?

It was a witch hunt, pure and simple which is why no one but the yellow shirts and people such as you keep blurting on about it, when the WORLD AND INTERPOL(who declined to arrest him on multiple occasions) etc give it no credibility at all

it was all because of a coup and time to make sure he never ruled again he got too powerful and was wearing the wrong colored shirt, if he had been yellow no one would of blinked at his so called crimes because I am sure if we dig deep into the yellows, you would find all sorts of crimes committed that are just overlooked and his was only bought to light as a witch hunt PURE AND SIMPLE.

• Like 1

get over it

It was a witch hunt, pure and simple which is why no one but the yellow shirts and people such as you keep blurting on about it, when the WORLD AND INTERPOL(who declined to arrest him on multiple occasions) etc give it no credibility at all

it was all because of a coup and time to make sure he never ruled again he got too powerful and was wearing the wrong colored shirt, if he had been yellow no one would of blinked at his so called crimes because I am sure if we dig deep into the yellows, you would find all sorts of crimes committed that are just overlooked and his was only bought to light as a witch hunt PURE AND SIMPLE.

Where have you been the last decade? What do you mean by "he got too powerful"?

get over it

It was because the courts couldn't chase him while he was in power because he had placed friends and relatives in powerful positions.

Since when does Interpol not chasing someone make the charges against them have no credibility? Were Interpol even asked to chase him?

Why continue on with this "But the yellows ..." crap? Are you saying that because they broke the law that it is OK that Thaksin broke the law?

I really didn't think the conflict had subsided, what Thaksin has done is divided the country and we all now where that gets everyone, I don't think the hate has gone, there's no need for fresh conflict ,it never has left the building.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Thats is the WISH OF THE PEOPLE

Shouting is rude.

It is the wish of 48% of the people, and then only 48% of those who actually voted.

That means it is not the wish of the vast majority of the population who are eligible to vote.

• Like 1

The Thaksins?

I'd take not knowing what their surname is as a sign that you need to do some more reading on the subject matter. If you can't get the basic stuff correct, what chance do you have getting anything else correct?

Shouting is rude.

It is the wish of 48% of the people, and then only 48% of those who actually voted.

That means it is not the wish of the vast majority of the population who are eligible to vote.

Correct, but it also does not mean that the remaining 52% are in favour of the opposition if that is what you are implying.

Those people either don't have any thoughts one way or another, or vote democrat, or are fed up with both major parties and didn't vote, or voted for the smaller parties. Whatever the reason the majority of the votes for a single party went to the PTP.

They didn't have to form a coalition, they did so having reflected on past occasions when money and promised positions ruled over certain MP's principals, to ensure what happened in the past was not repeated.

As a result of the largest vote going to the PTP they got the chance to form a government. That's the way democracy works.

What people are you refering too.

Do you mean the elite of the PTP who continue to line their pockets from public funds and/ or the hordes of margininalized and impoverished living in the North and North East to whom big brother Thaksin manipulated with trinkets and false promises.

The lower the education and intellect the easier it is for these svengali,s to ply their trade of deception. Puting any member of this greedy and socially toxic family in power is as shown, a death nell for democracy.

Shouting is rude.

Correct, but it also does not mean that the remaining 52% are in favour of the opposition if that is what you are implying..

Not only implying that, it also implies why they haven't gone to a referendum on the issue.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.All she said was a lot of stuff that the whole world already knew.Some people are behaving like it was all some sort of secret and that she's let the cat out of the bag.More childish reactions from the childish politicians.I think in a way she's trying to put everything that's happened behind her and look to the future.

• Like 2

Shouting is rude.

Correct, but it also does not mean that the remaining 52% are in favour of the opposition if that is what you are implying..

Not only implying that, it also implies why they haven't gone to a referendum on the issue.

By definition

if 48% is one side then the other 52% MUST be in favor of the opposition.

They just might not all be in favor of the Democratic party.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

One large reason they don't want a referendum is because

a Yes No to the question will not have the voters watered down

by the smaller parties syphoning off votes to themselves,

but would show the true grasp of the PTP on the electorate as a whole.

And that will NOT be 50% + They can't risk showing their true lack of power.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

I don't see what all the fuss is about.All she said was a lot of stuff that the whole world already knew.Some people are behaving like it was all some sort of secret and that she's let the cat out of the bag.More childish reactions from the childish politicians.I think in a way she's trying to put everything that's happened behind her and look to the future.

The problem I suspect Vinny, that many people have with her speech is that a fair bit of what she said is not true.

At the very best it twists history in an attempt to make her family and political party look good.

And unfortunately in the process makes Thailand look bad.

The speech itself will not be a tipping point, but it does make it even more clear the mindset behind those controlling the current government and their sets of actions. That the top general came out to say he is concerned about the Red Shirts threatening the court is a bigger indication of the state of things. She has just let the cat out of the bag on the international stage, that they think they will be attacked again by 'evil undemocratic forces' and then back tracks at home as if this was not the subtext.

Should we worry. yes indeed, just as long as Thaksin hasn't gotten back scot free

we should worry about the checks and balances being erased, as were done

during his last time in control of the country. He is consistant in his need to control absolutely,

'and that is what is worrying.

Edited by animatic

How is making a speech that highlights all the bad things she thinks we done by others to her family and to democracy, whilst making no mention of all the bad things her family has done to others and to democracy, putting things behind her and looking to the future? It's doing nothing of the sort. It is more like getting all her dirty underwear out and waving it above her head on the international stage.

Especially when the rest of the world are not so easily fooled. I would expect that most of the audience listening to that speech already know what went on in Thailand during that time.

She hasn't strengthened her argument at all, if anything she's made it weaker. And that has Thaksin written all over it.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Noppadom makes a 'translation error' statement soon.