Thailand's D S I Unable To Interfere In Red-Shirt Terrorism Case: Panel

webfact

DSI unable to interfere in red-shirt case: panel
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai,
Kesinee Taengkhiao,
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) concluded yesterday that it could not do anything to have the terrorism case against red-shirt leaders dropped by Criminal Court.

Pol Colonel Yannapol Yungyuen, deputy chief of DSI, said a DSI working panel had considered all the relevant legal provisions and concluded that the agency - whose function it is to investigate cases - could not do anything now that the suspects had already been indicted.

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok had asked the DSI to consider a request by Pheu Thai MP weng Tojirakarn, a suspect in the terrorism case related to the 2010 political violence, for the case to be dropped. He gave the DSI 30 days to reply.

Weng submitted the request after the Civil Court ruled in some cases that the arson attack on the CentralWorld department store was not an act of terrorism, but the result of unrest - a result which ensured that insurance firms would have to compensate injured parties.

Yannapol said he would submit a report to the justice minister recommending that Weng's complaint be forwarded to the Office of the Attorney-General (OAG) for consideration.

Yannapol said the DSI could not make any recommendations because it could not interfere in the work of the OAG.

He added that the civil cases were different from criminal terrorism cases as the lawsuit and evidence were presented differently.

Public prosecutors could not withdraw the lawsuit on their own now that the trial had already begun. He said they could only request that the court consider dropping the case.

Winai Damrongmongkolkul, an OAG spokesman who is in charge of the case, said yesterday that he could not comment on the request to drop the case, because he had not seen it yet. He said he would consider the request based on the evidence once he received it from the justice minister.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-04

Ouch, it must really hurt not being able to help out their lords and masters but I can't see how minor matters such as the law, inter-departmental working procedures and regulations stopped them. The DSI have been getting along fine making things up as they go.

• Like 2

"DSI unable to interfere in red-shirt case: panel"

Not for lack of trying it would seem

I would bet the report to the Justice Minister will be supportive of the complaint in the opinion of the DSI and stating only procedure prevents them taking it up

DSI saying it can't do anything? I wonder if that is 'situation normal'?

Love the comment - Burning Central World was arson not terrorism - so they could claim insurance. Weng certainly has sh*t for brains if he thinks like that. And he has a seat in parliament... blink.png

Have another read. Weng "submitted the request after the Civil Court ruled in some cases that the arson attack on the CentralWorld department store was not an act of terrorism, but the result of unrest - a result which ensured that insurance firms would have to compensate injured parties."

It wasn't his original thought - it was an official verdict from the Civil Court. You may wish to reconsider your indirect criticism of the Judges verdict.

No comment from Attorney General on attempt to drop terrorism cases from court
By Digital Media

13676405924989.jpg

BANGKOK, May 4 – The Office of Attorney General (OAG) has refused to comment on a report that the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) plans to withdraw court cases of terrorism against Red Shirt activists.

It has been reported that the DSI will submit such a proposal to the OAG through Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, seeking to withdraw the case, pending trial in the Criminal Court.

OAG spokesman Vinai Damrongmongkolkul was silent when asked about the report but said he has yet to see this request.

“If the justice minister forwards the case to the OAG for further action, we will abide by the law in considering the request,” he said. “In my capacity as the person in charge of the case, I have to take into consideration the reasons and the scope of my power as given by the law. We have to be careful since the attorney general has already filed charges against the defendants in court.”

“In my career as an attorney general for over 30 years, I have never withdrawn any cases,” he said.

Chief Judge of the Criminal Court, Thaawee Praachuablarb, said Article 35 of the Criminal Code requires that a request for withdrawal of a case must be submitted before a verdict is given by the first court.

It’s up to the court whether the request will be granted, he said.

He said there were cases where the attorney general filed charges with the Criminal Court and later withdrew such as land intrusion case and the case involving Wat Dhammakaya.

“If the petition to withdraw is done in accord with the law, the chance for the court to approve a withdrawal is almost 100 per cent. But I have never deliberated on a terrorism case,” he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-04

What a wonderful law enforcement agency!

They seem happy to jam up the Dems for everything under the sun. They're fighting against counterfeit items and using Facebook to catch overstaying foreigners but they don't want to sweat the little stuff like terrorism! I'm glad this so called FBI equivalent agency is there for us. Perhaps in time, they'll even be as good as the Royal Thai Police.

• Like 1

Terrorist charges for singing red shirt protestors no action towards Yellow shirts shooting people on camera at Vibhavadi Rangsit road, no charges laid on the generals who gave kill orders and nobody in the South charged for terrorism, not even the murderers of toddlers. It says a lot about the Thai elite.

• Like 1

I guess poor old Weng will have to let a judge decide rather than his boss' lackey, and the results, while just as predictable given the volume of evidence, are likely to be quite different. While I'm sure our erstwhile current government will do their untmost to delay the inevitable result, it remains inevitable.

Another gambling saying - if you bet your bum you could end up a sore loser.

BTW why didn'y Tarit say that he and the DSI completed that investigation, without favour or bias, some time ago; rather than have his deputy imply that they would prefer to withdraw it? Is he admitting that they presented false information, or that results are variable subject to influence.

Meanwhile back to normal the follow-up article suggests the DSI is still busy interfering. Probably on behalf of the good Thai elite part rather than just the bad Thai elite part.

Love the comment - Burning Central World was arson not terrorism - so they could claim insurance. Weng certainly has sh*t for brains if he thinks like that. And he has a seat in parliament... blink.png

Have another read. Weng "submitted the request after the Civil Court ruled in some cases that the arson attack on the CentralWorld department store was not an act of terrorism, but the result of unrest - a result which ensured that insurance firms would have to compensate injured parties."

It wasn't his original thought - it was an official verdict from the Civil Court. You may wish to reconsider your indirect criticism of the Judges verdict.

Missed that one Mutt - Thx - doesn't change MO on Weng. Cheers

I thought having s**t for brains was a prerequisite for MPs in Parliament w00t.gif

No, the only real prerequisites are to be a liar, a cheat, a thief and to be totally immoral and corrupt. Having sh*t for brains is a bonus.

In many countries the Justice Minister trying to influence the court proceedings involving the red shirts would be considered an attempt tp 'pervert the course of justice' and he would be dismissed and charged as such. Makes you wonder what qualifies him for the position of JM.lol

DSI unable to interfere in red-shirt case: panel

Much to their chagrin.

Indeed - they did try to interfere but couldn't.

So a letter of apology goes out to the man in Dubai and Tarit awaits his punishment - but he at least tries to make it look like it ain't his fault.