Almost 10,000 Join Anti-Freshmen Initiation Protest Online: Thailand

webfact

Almost 10,000 join anti-freshmen initiation protest online
By Coconuts Bangkok

fm.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An online movement opposed to the infamous orientation activities for Thai college freshmen, known locally as SOTUS, has gained momentum in the past few days, with almost 10,000 people joining a Facebook group expressing opposition to the tradition.

The group called Anti-SOTUS has protested what it describes as unreasonably harsh, violent and fear-driven activities.

Since university admission results have just been released, many parents are worried about the wellbeing of their children. There have been widespread reports of injuries during SOTUS activities in past decades, which take place during the late-summer beginning of Thailand’s academic year.

SOTUS, which stands for Seniority Order Tradition Unity Spirit, normally takes place during the first month of each academic year.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/05/10/almost-10000-join-anti-freshmen-initiation-protest-online

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-05-10

Good, I hope they get it banned.

Definitely but the problem is too many uni presidents think it's " character building ", gets freshmen into the school spirit and other such meaningless crap but they always deny knowledge of the rough stuff.

I have taught at a rural uni and on the days freshmen were due to arrive students from every faculty went to the bus station with welcoming banners from that faculty and would sing and dance all day as they greeted the new arrivals. A casual observer could be forgiven for thinking it was a lovely gesture and so on but that was the public face of the " welcome " and the nasty business was conducted on campus. Naturally the president and his assistants had no knowledge of that and frankly didn't want to know.

It had its moments though. rolleyes.gif

attachicon.gifhazing.jpg

Ah, in this particular one the boys put bananas in their zips and the girls all have to simulate giving oral sex.....don't comply and you are ostracized by the rest of your house/frat and will never be invited to any social or sporting event for the rest of your time at Uni. Some of the 'team building' exercises are much worse!

A very US tradition? Frat? Freshman? Terms traditionally only used in the US. At least they mentioned university and not 'college' education. But the behaviour of young adults in trying to 'press' the pecking order, is it no wonder there are rival scuffles between students? Mob mentality with no intelligent logic behind it.

Studying at the University of Technology in Delft, the Netherlands in the 70's I missed out on the hazing. Still lots of stories around that time, but mostly regarding the traditional universities.

BTW this reminds me of the movie Soldier of Orange, 1977 directed by Paul Verhoeven. It starts with a hazing scene at the University of Leiden, 1938. This clip has the scene start at 04:00, but you might (want to) skip to near the end at 08:00. Spoiler alert: NO nudity (in this clip). Oh, and English subtitles. Excuses, Dutch humour smile.png

Edited by rubl

A very US tradition? Frat? Freshman? Terms traditionally only used in the US. At least they mentioned university and not 'college' education. But the behaviour of young adults in trying to 'press' the pecking order, is it no wonder there are rival scuffles between students? Mob mentality with no intelligent logic behind it.

Maybe you want to google British boarding school hazing. I believe the term used was, F*****

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Never any hazing in 99% of British universities, public ones at least - if there was i can only imagine retaliation and retribution.
Private establishments are more secular and a pecking order more prominent

Never any hazing in 99% of British universities, public ones at least - if there was i can only imagine retaliation and retribution.

Private establishments are more secular and a pecking order more prominent

http://britishhazing.blogspot.com/2010/01/student-hazing-death-in-britain.html

http://britishhazing.blogspot.com/2010/01/tom-ward-british-rugby-hazing-death.html

http://britishhazing.blogspot.com/2009/03/wasted-death-of-gavin-britton-exeter.html

The problem is not uniquely American, says Eric Anderson, an

American professor at the University of Winchester in the UK. He says he

sees just as much hazing in the UK as in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17945000