Phat Phet Variations

cooL_guY_corY

ok.. as far as pat paet goes, its awesome with the coconut milk but with that i guess its not called pat paet.. on the street i like to go for the pat paet guy kai dow, but if its a custom job i like to get :

2 eggs in the mix (not fried eggs, cook/scramble with the meat)

chopped baby corn

onion (big ones not small ones)

tua (green beans? havent figured out the english translation for that yet)

chicken

some carrots

some sliced cucumber..

really yummy stuff

and a couple peppers chopped up

i guess the thai way is probably no carrots or cucumber, but the more the merrier..

what do people here like to run with this?

And just a question what is the pat paet sauce called in english ? curry paste?

I got a half kilo right now, just left the tropics, the americans were pretty shaken up at the half kilo in my bag, but it made it home so its all good..

What would one do with these ingredients?

Shallow-fry or stew? At which point do you add the curry paste? :o

"Pat" inicates frying, but there is a famous Thai dish called "Gaeng Paet" for which the red, hot Curry paste is used.

ahh this wasnt really a recipe was just seeing what people liked in their pat paet.

But for this dish, start off with some oil and meat, throw the eggs in and give them a bit of a beating, add as much pat paet paste as you want (usually a spood or 2 depending on how spicey/flavour ful you like it) then add a bit of water ( again, if you want it soupier add more water) generally maybe half a cup though.. then add all the veges and all that. This on a street maybe doesnt even have much water in it, my version has more water in it, also just throw a can of coco milk in with same amount of water as the coco milk at the beginning of the dish (at the meat stage) and its also a nice dish, with a yellow color.

I cook and eat lots of thai food but when i read the western spelling of the thai names i can barely recognize what dishes are what. Everyone has their own variations of the english language way to spell the different dishes and all that. thai food is yummy.

actually Phat means stir fried. Phet means spicy. So, phat phet is stir fried spicy, and gaeng phet is boiled spicy.

You can make phat phet with coconut milk, but only a little bit, to make it a bit saucy. Very nice indeed. You can also make it with a bit of canned milk or regular milk--only a little bit tho, again, it makes it a tad more saucy.

My husband is a traditionalist and likes it only with green beans (tua fuk yao). I am not a big fan of baby corn myself so prefer that to not be added.

The curry paste is khleung gaeng and can be used for gaeng phet as well. Did you get any hassle bringing it through customs then? I am tempted to bring abit back for my parents as my dad is a huge fan of spicy thai food (not the bland stuff that tends to get sold in restaurants).

so, khleung gaeng must be southern thai then, thanks bambi!

it could be like that :o every local place has own words

for central "kreung gaeng" = ingredients to make chilly paste as onion ,kapi ,garlic,chilli..etc

in thai we call " prik gaeng ' , and it is " red curry paste"

ah ok thats good, i would always go to the market and there would be like 10 types, i would always just say pat paet,[ but ya i know pat is fried / paet is spicey] and theyd give me just the red type. using just tua is actually really yummy but the variations are nice too, what ever floats your boat. Sometimes when i use coco milk/water i dont use any oil so i guess its a bit healthier too.. Bringing it thru customs was ok, i have to go thru america usually on my way to canada.. they were pretty shaken up but they let it thru, could change depending on who searches you. Just make sure you stress there is no meat products or anything in it.

post-19581-1143114232_thumb.jpg

heres some i made with coconut milk and water. yummyz, i always use a ton of sauce pig on it also ( sauce prik? )

Edited by cooL_guY_corY

I've never seen phat phet fried up with eggs like you describe Cory - is this something you have learned in Thailand or just your own style?

Whenever I eat it (usually referred to as phat phrik kaeng), it is usually just curry paste, chili, peppers and veg (plus meat or tofu). A fried egg on the side is nice though.

As for the beans in English, they are called "string beans" or sometimes "yard long beans".

ya i dont think much people fry the eggs in the actual dish, but my thai friend cooked it like that so thats how i usually do it, although when ever i eat it on the street/restaurant i just get like.. pat paet guy kai dow , with the fried egg on the side. both are yummy

• 2 weeks later...
so, khleung gaeng must be southern thai then, thanks bambi!

The way I understand it, khreuang kaeng (Thai curry paste) is a general term that could refer to ingredients for any curry paste, not just kaeng phet. In other words you could put together khreuang kaeng for kaeng phet (hot curry, i.e., red curry), kaeng khiaw-waan (green curry), kaeng matsaman (matsaman curry) or kaeng phanaeng (phanaeng curry) etc.

The term isn't southern Thai, you hear khreuang kaeng in central Thai and other regional Thai as well. The /r/ is often dropped in everyday speech (ie, kheuang), but I've not heard an /l/ in its place except in Bangkok; I always thought southern Thais spoke with a strong /r/.

Khreuang kaeng is also used to refer to curry paste itself. You also hear curry paste generically referred to as phrik kaeng. Fried rice made with curry paste may be called khao phat phrik kaeng, at other times khao phat khreuang kaeng. Seems like in written menus khao phat khreuang kaeng is more common than khao phat phrik kaeng, but in spoken Thai it appears to be the opposite.

When phat phet uses khreung kaeng/phrik kaeng, it's almost always khreuang kaeng phet (red curry paste). Some cooks don't use an already-made paste, but rather fry everthing together fresh using the same ingredients. Many cooks add basil (horaphaa) to phat phet. An older recipe you don't see much these days (used to see it more 20-25 years ago, esp in Bangkok) uses another type of basil called bai yeeraa ('cumin leaves', although it's not related to cumin at all but rather belongs to the basil family).

I've never seen eggs in phat phet either.

• 2 weeks later...