Ban On Long Hair For Thai Students To Be Lifted

webfact

Ban on long hair for students to be lifted
The Nation

30206237-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The education minister is planning to propose to the Cabinet that students be allowed longer hairstyles, Panita Kambhu Na Ayutthaya, permanent secretary for Education Ministry said.

She said according to the new regulations, all students will be allowed to get a layered haircut.

Panita said Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana had approved the new regulations last Tuesday and would propose them to the Cabinet next Tuesday.

Once the regulation gets Cabinet approval, it will be published in the Royal Gazette and be implemented during the 2013 academic year.

She added that Phongthep had removed the ban on students getting layered hairstyles as well as taken away schools' authority to get their students sport a specific hairstyle.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-16

• Like 1

Shouldn't we look deeper? Under the hair roots?

As an Educationalist I would strongly advise for the creation of Special Schools for Thai kids. Say, one per Province, minimum.

Meaning Government Schools open for all social strata with strong academic emphasis, based on performance.

This would create an offset for rich vs poor students/parents.

That is if this country wants such an offset... hmm... not sure... hmm... not my bloody business!biggrin.png

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 2

Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana must own shares in a company that produces medication for the control of lice because that will be the next headline... THAILAND TO BECOME THE HUB OF LICE ..... believe me I've seen it all before, especially in up country rural schools

• Like 1

Very timely, the kids started their new school year here today. ---- All the girls with the ridiculous basin cuts and boys with a little hair on the very top.

The private school students not effected by this draconian law.

The mention of lice???? That is a world wide problem NOT restricted to Isaan!

• Like 1

Ban On Long Hair For Thai Students To Be Lifted

How does that affect the length of those mini skirts? sad.png

If the pubic hair does not hang below the hem line of the skirt, it is not too short for school!w00t.gif

One of my children went to one of the poorer schools for a few months... And it was a daily task to deal with head lice. It got so bad that I went to the school and asked why the teachers where not sending the lice ridden kids back home.

The reply was BORG like... Resistance is futile....

Anyway, I now pay a large amount in school fees at a better school... Since she has attended (2 years now), there has only been one incident of head lice and she was treated and returned back to school when the bugs where all gone....

If they can manage the hair situation with the parental responsibility of making sure the kids are sent to school lice free, then I do think its a good step forward. Liberating even the young society from government control will go a long way into letting the Thai society think for themselves smile.png

Edited by thhMan

Shouldn't we look deeper? Under the hair roots?

As an Educationalist I would strongly advise for the creation of Special Schools for Thai kids. Say, one per Province, minimum.

Meaning Government Schools open for all social strata with strong academic emphasis, based on performance.

This would create an offset for rich vs poor students/parents.

That is if this country wants such an offset... hmm... not sure... hmm... not my bloody business!biggrin.png

Couldn't agree more with that.

Edited by Hardback

This only needs Cabinet approval? I would have thought a full vote in Parliament would be necessary for such a vitally important issue.

National referendum, no less...

Good lord, they might get rid of uniforms for undergrad uni students next. I must admit that when a 36 year-old exchange student at TU back in the 90s, I found the 18 y.o.+ girls in uniform a source of guity pleasure. Enough of this slide to individuality and the human right to self expression. I think there should be a referendum!

Very timely, the kids started their new school year here today. ---- All the girls with the ridiculous basin cuts and boys with a little hair on the very top.

What part of reading do you not understand? I never even mentioned Isaan, there is more to up country than just that place. However, by your logic, it being a world problem is a good enough reason to encourage it here right? Once one kid in a class is infected with lice or red eye the whole class gets it - everywhere, INCLUDING Isaan!!

It doesn't matter if a law is passed

It doesn't matter if new regulations are put in place as many school principals will cling to the old ones to prove they are the authority in their school and in any case this is how it's always been done. This will be especially true in rural schools far away from Bangkok.

I would rather see students thinking about learning something, than competing with each other, who has the sexiest hair. Let the students learn, not have a fashion show, same with the uniforms.

Yes, lice do spread, and that probably was the original idea of the short hair.