euthanise my 16 year old dog

Over the last 20 years 2 of our old friends have been helped on their way by vets in Chiang Mai.

It required all 3 of the directors of the practice to sign off to release them from their pain.

The practice has changed hands and I do not know if the current directors  will still do the same thing. But it means that some vets will do so, perhaps call around to the vets in your area?

Obviously I will not post or provide the name of the practice.

• Agree 2

If your own vet will not do it, maybe ask them who will.

But you may need to get the record from your current vet.

Here on Samui, vets will only euthanise the dogs where there are records. Something to do with the strict rules on them obtaining the relevant drugs.

I have had to say goodbye to two of my 'best mates, and friends have also had no problems, but a neighbour did have a problem with a street dog that adopted him.

The vet had to say no as there was no medical history.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

A couple of guys I know had similar problems, like anything else in Thailand it was sorted for a few baht 500 seemed to be the going rate Just ask around a few different vets.  I also heard of another guy who experienced some reluctance even after offering money but the vet changed its mind when he told them he would take matters into his own hands and kick the dog to death, guess he must have been pretty convincing

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, rickthailand said:

hi,

i want to ask the people here. my 16 year old dog is getting outward tumors and my vet says she is to old for surgery.

she has been with me for 16 years and now she is blind deaf and can walk very bad. she is not in pain(yet) i

as hard as it will be for me i think the time has come to think about letting her sleep for good.

unfortunatly my vet due to religion doesnt do euthanisations in the pattaya area

does anyone know of a vet or organisation that can assist me in letting my sweet dog go to the rainbow bridge?

please only serious responces.

thanks in advance

richard

Don't know in Pattaya, but my vet helped with my cat in BKK when terminal. 

Take care it is not a nice experience.

• Like 1

I guess it has to do with religion. Mostly buddhist vets will not do this.. Try to find a muslim or christian vet. Might be different.. However.. .It could be a general Thai thing. Not sure.

• Agree 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:37 PM, rickthailand said:

unfortunatly my vet due to religion doesnt do euthanisations in the pattaya area

My sympathy to you. It's a strange religion, isn't it, that prefers to allow people to suffer. Same as the Christian religion which frowns upon euthanasia. Much better to allow anyone/thing to live in pain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:37 PM, rickthailand said:

hi,

i want to ask the people here. my 16 year old dog is getting outward tumors and my vet says she is to old for surgery.

she has been with me for 16 years and now she is blind deaf and can walk very bad. she is not in pain(yet) i

as hard as it will be for me i think the time has come to think about letting her sleep for good.

does anyone know of a vet or organisation that can assist me in letting my sweet dog go to the rainbow bridge?

please only serious responces.

thanks in advance

richard

Give him some sleeping pills and an Insulin injection. It works

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My sympathy to you. It's a strange religion, isn't it, that prefers to allow people to suffer. Same as the Christian religion which frowns upon euthanasia. Much better to allow anyone/thing to live in pain.

They blame  religion,  but i'm sure its more to do with the sale of medication $$$$

Sad story but sometimes it is just time to die....and it will happen to every person and dog and cat and all the rest.  If you can't get a vet to do it soon maybe you can find a simple humane way to do it yourself .  I am sure that is not an easy thing to do....but in the end maybe it just shows you love your dog and want to do what is best for him/her.  

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Like 2