Day To Day Teaching At A University

I have read about the pros and cons of teaching at a university, but what exactly do you teach from day to day? I work at a high school and I just make one lesson plan per week and teach it to a thousand students. So far there is no howework or grading. What do you teach at a university? Are lessons provided or do you make your own? How much harder is it to preprare for a university lecture vs preparing for a high school class? Do you have to prepare multiple lesson plans per week? What about grading school work?

University jobs sound good, but are they a lot more difficult to teach?

If you want to know what I've witnessed most Thai teachers do at my former university I will tell you.

Make a powerpoint presentation for each week.

Read it to the class.

When you're finished let the class go.

Make an exam based on the powerpoints. Multiple Choice.

The end.

If you are going to prepare a PowerPoint presentation and read it to them with discussion or Q&A, why not just give them the presentation and send them on their way. This does not make much sense I would never do this my students.

University lecturers typically have duties beyond teaching - such as creative/research output, as well as university service (serving on committees, etc.) Very few high school lecturers would be qualified to teach at my university's faculty - minimum required is masters degree, but for expat lecturers we want earned doctorates in the field.

University lecturers typically have duties beyond teaching - such as creative/research output, as well as university service (serving on committees, etc.) Very few high school lecturers would be qualified to teach at my university's faculty - minimum required is masters degree, but for expat lecturers we want earned doctorates in the field.

Don't tell me, it's Rajabhat University Sakhon Nakhon branch?

I agree - the universities that I know want a minimum of masters degree to teach undergraduates and preferably doctorates for post graduate courses. I know a few Western expats who only have masters but are accepted because they have taught in overseas universities for many years.

Normally you as the lecturer will design the course, teaching methods, grading criteria etc. which will talke into consideration university and MOE requirements and then be approved by a committee.

The difference between teaching in a school and lecturing in a university is marked. Also, as Stradi points out, there is an expectation you will conduct research, be published and present at conferences.

No, Mahidol University, Salaya Campus.

Exactly. My point is not all Universities in Thailand require the credentials that you described and have the same workload or expectations.

Exactly. My point is not all Universities in Thailand require the credentials that you described and have the same workload or expectations.

As you say...

If you are going to prepare a PowerPoint presentation and read it to them with discussion or Q&A, why not just give them the presentation and send them on their way. This does not make much sense I would never do this my students.

What would you do in a college lecture hall, play a game of hot seat? Maybe hand out a worksheet.

As you say...

I know numerous people who work or who have worked at Thai universities and believe me they were not writing any research papers. Good for you, but that isn't everyone.

Yes yes, you are right - go have a cookie!

You probably didn't read the title of the thread correctly. Maybe you thought it said tell everyone how amazing I am because I teach at a University in Thailand. Maybe you can start your own thread?

OP, there are many teachers working at Universities where the teaching is roughly on par with some average Thai school. Students who just need a 'passing' grade in English for example. It was a good question.

Please keep the discussion civil. Unfortunately, I can't give out cookies to good posters, but I sometimes have to give out suspensions to bad ones.

Oh, and I know both people that involved in research at Universities and those that do nothing but teach classes.

Please keep the discussion civil. Unfortunately, I can't give out cookies to good posters, but I sometimes have to give out suspensions to bad ones.

Oh, and I know both people that involved in research at Universities and those that do nothing but teach classes.

Thanks, but I don't really like Cookies anyway.

I was just trying to help the OP realise that you don't have to be an Oxbridge scholar to make a living at a Thai university. Of course it doesn't hurt if you are one (like the majority of teachers in Thailand) :)

The answer I gave regarding expectations for university lecturers of teaching/creative output/service is the standard worldwide. It is found in some university programs in Thailand, but primarily at the larger, comprehensive research universities, as opposed to the smaller community universities (rajabhat). But I would say there is a growing movement towards encouraging this type of multifaceted approach at many universities. Many universities are helping young lecturers with potential enroll in doctoral programs both within Thailand and abroad. In addition - the newly adopted (Thailand-wide) TQF system (Thailand Qualification Framework - which is the new curriculum accreditation system of the Office of Higher Ed) requires advanced qualifications for faculty overseeing programs, that is higher than before.

Certainly there are universities that place more emphasis on teaching, over research and service, but the people filling those positions are usually not regarded as having "Full fledged" lecturer positions - but are classified (Especially in the case of expat teachers) as "visiting experts - so the creative / service component isn't required. That being said, those folks will find that there is no path to academic advancement, (Lecturer - Asst. Prof. - Assoc. Prof - Prof.) without production in all three areas.

Edited by Stradavarius37
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. It is much easier to stay on topic and address the thread when we are all talking about the same thing or at least understand what is being discussed.

Again, thanks.

• Like 1

I think it would depend on what the role is as Mahidol has a few different programs that would likely have completely differing requirements..

They have an International program MUIC that has English department that has classes some what similar to what you may find at a US University ...

Meaning not actually teaching how to read, speak and write(as students need to already have a high TOIC score to get admission) ... But more along academic lines with composition, essay writing, Public speaking , creative writing etc...

Although their is a pre college that has a focus on teaching English and preparing. For TOIC and entrance exams

Also understand they also have standard English teaching classes for students in Thai program that are more of General teaching of lower level speaking, reading and writing

So there is a broad spectrum of possibilities , would try to get a bit more info from University on what the position will entail

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1