Demonstrations And Rallies Leading Up To The Election

Jai Dee

DPM Chitchai believes filing lawsuits against protestors will not escalate the situation

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์) stated that the act of filing lawsuits against the protestors will not escalate the problems.

The Deputy Prime Minister talked about the decision to file lawsuits against the protestors who have violated the laws. He said the officials do not take sides with the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) or the Poor People's Caravan. He said all the processes will be abided by laws. He believes such decision will be beneficial for all the parties, and it will not intensify the ongoing situation.

Justice Minister Chitchai also referred to the decision of one of the core leaders of the PAD, Major General Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง) who will lead the demonstrators to Hua Hin (หัวหิน) District of Prachuab Kirikhan (ประจวบคีรีขันธ์) Province. He indicated that the protest can be carried out as long as it is under the rules and regulations and does not cause any troubles to the general public. However, he has cooperated with the Commissioner of the Provincial Police Region 7 to take care of the matter.

In response to the decision of the PAD to move the rally to the Office of Election Commission, the Deputy Prime Minister stated that people should use their considerations when they receive any information.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 March 2006

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not even the point at the moment now - after Thaksin is gone you can continue with Sondhi/Chamlong bashing as long as you like. The point now is that discrediting PAD does not serve any useful purpose. They are the best option for ousting Thaksin, like them or not. Most PAD supporters don't have any love for Snoh, I suspect, but for a moment they put their differences aside and concentrate on the job at hand. You don't approve of it, fine, but what trying to stop them will achieve? It's just playing in Thaksin's hands, and you are not one of Thaksin's apologists.

For me, the goal of removing Thaksin is of higher priority than Chamlong's silence in 2003.

For me the highest priorities are social stability and a continuation of Thailand's emerging democracy. The "job at hand" is ensuring that, even if it means "dicrediting", or correctly - questioning the figures and motives behind the PAD.

Attempting to force Thaksin to resign by bypassing the electoral process and the courts is endangering both of forementioned priorities more than a continued Prime Ministership of Thaksin.

Sanoh Tienthong is a rather regular visitor of the area behind the stage, by the way.

A few more reason why i dislike the PAD:

Their unwillingnes to work for a compromise with the government.

Their continued attempts to force the palace to get involved in matters of politics.

Being at least as guilty as Thaksin to further the social rifts within Thai society, in which for a short term gain they risk long term damage.

Anti-Thai PM protesters abandon Bangkok malls

By Pracha Hariraksapitak

BANGKOK, March 30 (Reuters) - Leaders of a campaign to oust

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra cut short their protest

at Bangkok's biggest shopping mall on Thursday as signs grew

the public was growing weary of weeks of street protests.

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the ad hoc

coalition bent on driving the telecoms billionaire from office,

shifted its protest to the nearby Election Commission after a

Wednesday night rally drew 50,000 people to Siam Paragon mall.

It demanded the commission disqualify Thaksin from the

April 2 election he called three years early in the hope of

ending the political crisis, saying he broke campaign rules, or

resign.

The PAD accused Thaksin of breaking laws by promising

development projects and handing out money to voters in return

for their support, charges he denies.

The PAD had hoped to stop the election, being boycotted by

the three main opposition parties, taking place.

It now appears to admit it will go ahead, although the

boycott means the poll is unlikely to meet the constitutional

requirement that all 500 seats be filled for a new government

to be named. A constitutional crisis is almost certain.

Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party, which won 377 of

parliament's 500 seats in a February 2005 general election with

solid support in the countryside which he still retains, is

expected to win another thumping majority on Sunday.

"We expect a larger rally after elections that won't solve

the political deadlock," PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang, the man

who brought Thaksin into politics, told reporters.

"We'll see how we can help find a solution to the crisis,"

he said before leading 3,000 protesters, who camped outside

Siam Paragon and two malls alongside it overnight, to march two

blocks to the Election Commission.

Chamlong, an ascetic 70-year-old veteran of the Vietnam War

who was twice governor of Bangkok, said the protesters had left

the streets outside Bangkok's glitziest malls because they

proved a poor place to hold rallies.

He conceded the rallies outside the malls, which closed in

anticipation of disruption of business, were unpopular.

"If the rally continued, it would worsen the traffic," said

Chamlong, who had said earlier a few days of gridlock was

nothing compared to freeing Thailand from the grip of a

"tyrant".

However, in its latest ABAC poll, conducted on Monday,

Assumption University said only 20 percent of 1,116 respondents

in and around the capital supported rallies against Thaksin,

whom critics accuse of corruption, cronyism and abuse of power.

Only 26 percent of Bangkok people thought Thaksin should

quit, compared to 27 percent two days previously and 48 percent

three weeks earlier. About 42 percent of its respondents said

Thaksin should stay, compared to a low of 26 percent on March

REUTERS

300647 Mrz 06

ENDOFMSG

Thai newspaper shuts itself down after misquoting sensitive

reference to king

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ A Thai-language newspaper closed

itself down for three days Thursday to apologize for

misquoting a reference to the country's revered monarch by

a leader of the movement to oust Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra. The chief editor of the Kom Chad Luek newspaper

has also resigned over the incident, said Thepchai Yong, a

senior editor of The Nation Group which publishes the

newspaper. The daily had earlier admitted that it failed to

print in full a reference to the king made by protest

leader Sondhi Limthongkul, thus leaving his remarks in a

form that might upset King Bhumibol Adulyadej. The report

could also open up the newspaper to charges of lese

majeste.

300315 mar 06GMT

Apparently the skytrain from Silom was a bit of a laugh last night. One girl shouting "Thaksin...", with everybody else shouting "Awk Pai!"

Obviously demonstrators on their way home.

This is news from my gf BTW.

The point now is that discrediting PAD does not serve any useful purpose. They are the best option for ousting Thaksin, like them or not.

Actually a better option is to vote him out of office in a fair, democratic election.

That way you ensure peace afterwards since the real "people" would have chosen to oust him, not an elite minority.

If the PAD ever manage to overthrow him through illegitimate means, another mob will simply pop up to protest whoever is elected next since it would not be a valid election if the most favored candidate is not allowed to run. The next mob would likely be even larger and violent since the majority want Thaksin.

See the Philippines for an example of what Thailand would be like if the mob succeeds and sets a nasty precedent.

PAD is paying its' protesters 1200 Baht a day for every protest. I wonder who is fiancing PAD! Could it be that "billionaire" Anti-Thaksin Sontee? I think so!

Any proof of that? Best not to post any allegation of that nature without some sort of proof, don't you think?

hi guys. i am a tourist planning to fly over next wed which is after the election. i am very frightened by the situation over at BKK now. if i were to go over there next wed, will i be stuck in the hotel and not able to shop arD? any hotel recommendations like not near the protest areaS? at first i tot of ASIA hotel or baiyoke sky but now the areas around these hotels are flooded with protesters. is chinatown safer?

PAD has been asking donation for their campaign at every rally site, according to their website, the money is used for logistic and meals for the protesters to fight the corrupt government. Show us your sources to proof you were right.

hi guys. i am a tourist planning to fly over next wed which is after the election. i am very frightened by the situation over at BKK now. if i were to go over there next wed, will i be stuck in the hotel and not able to shop arD? any hotel recommendations like not near the protest areaS? at first i tot of ASIA hotel or baiyoke sky but now the areas around these hotels are flooded with protesters. is chinatown safer?

If you are afraid, book yourself in Novotel Bangna or Princess Sri Nakarin. Have your shopping at Seacon Square, if you like take a ride to Pattaya. :o

The point now is that discrediting PAD does not serve any useful purpose. They are the best option for ousting Thaksin, like them or not.

Actually a better option is to vote him out of office in a fair, democratic election.

That way you ensure peace afterwards since the real "people" would have chosen to oust him, not an elite minority.

If the PAD ever manage to overthrow him through illegitimate means, another mob will simply pop up to protest whoever is elected next since it would not be a valid election if the most favored candidate is not allowed to run. The next mob would likely be even larger and violent since the majority want Thaksin.

See the Philippines for an example of what Thailand would be like if the mob succeeds and sets a nasty precedent.

You might wish to select another country to make your point... Whether it was Ramos, Estrada, Arroyo... none of them, despite their individual shortcomings, NONE OF THEM... was as bad as Marcos.

:o

PAD is paying its' protesters 1200 Baht a day for every protest. I wonder who is fiancing PAD! Could it be that "billionaire" Anti-Thaksin Sontee? I think so!

Any proof of that? Best not to post any allegation of that nature without some sort of proof, don't you think?

Seems the opposition/Pad are making the same outrageous claims against TRT, so what is the difference?

The best option is when Thaksin acknowledges his wrongdoings and withdraws his candidacy. He shouldn't stand in the elections until his name is clear.

And we don't have free and fair democratic elections in Thailand so that's kind of out of the question anyway.

People just throw everything to defend Thaksin - saying in one breath that everyone is just as corrupt, and that free and fair elections is a solution. You can't be correct on both.

If we HAD free and fair elections, people would still have no control over who becomes the PM - it's internal party's matter and the party can propose a new PM anytime it likes. If Thaksin promises that he won't become the PM and will just work as an MP, and then changes his mind - nothing you can do about it.

Look at the latest allegations - he used state helicopter to campaign for his party, he promised to increase the salaries of government workers, he gave money to vocational students, his relatives distributed free staff at his rallies. The EC took the petition and said they'll look into it. Do they think people are idiots and will just say: "Oh, right then, we'll go home then".

Any one of the above actions disqualifies him from standing. And what about "fake candidates" confessions on video. One of them has changed her mind after being taken in "protective custody" by police. What about the others? Are they all still held against their will at Suthep's house?

Their allegations are serious enough to dissolve the whole party. How much trust is left in the EC? What is that harping about "free and fair" elections?

hubbybby, I wouldn't worry too much. There are plenty of places to shop around Bangkok. The skytrains run around the city and they aren't affected by the protests. You can get around in Taxis too. The drivers know how to get around any affected areas. There are also lots of large shopping complexes outside of the center of town. Don't worry too much.

By the way, the protests are peaceful and the people who attend them are not angry or violent types. For example, one of the protests had a fashion show with anti-Thaksinwear. So just relax and enjoy yout trip.

For me the highest priorities are social stability and a continuation of Thailand's emerging democracy. The "job at hand" is ensuring that, even if it means "dicrediting", or correctly - questioning the figures and motives behind the PAD.

Attempting to force Thaksin to resign by bypassing the electoral process and the courts is endangering both of forementioned priorities more than a continued Prime Ministership of Thaksin.

Your choice of words to describe PAD demonstrations doesn't sound like questioning.

Social stability is best achieved is Thaksin resigns and PAD go home and the democratic process goes ahead - refomrs, elections, and so on.

Thaksin's problem cannot be addressed through elections, and the courts have no jurisdiction over him, apart from Constitution Court that he lined up with his people. That's why PAD is asking for royal intervention - the only power outside Thaksin's influence.

Beyond that they have no options but "bypassing electoral process and the courts". Note that they do not storm the government house, just peacefully protest. What will the prolonged battle do to Thailand's stability? Not much, but it's not illegal for them to protest, just as it's not illegal for Thaksin to either stay or resign.

As long as it stays, protests will be there, and will escalate from time to time.

As for setting a precedents for future mobs - nonsense. There have been lots of precedents in Thailand already, this is not the first time, and probably not the last. Get used to it. Don't do anything to provoke hundreds of thousands of people to demonstrate against you for months without an end. That is a better lesson for future politicians than "manipulate the elections and don't get caught".

Plus - Thaskin will never resign, so I think we can get that off the table. PAD has no other issue, therefore they are moot and wasting there time. A crackdown of major proportions will occur after the elections. I smell it in the air - a small minority in BKK aren't going to dictate who is PM.

By the way, the protests are peaceful and the people who attend them are not angry or violent types. For example, one of the protests had a fashion show with anti-Thaksinwear. So just relax and enjoy yout trip.

You should include visiting protest site in your itinerary, seriously. Staying in the hotel in the middle of it is inconvenient, sure, but visiting is a great fun - lots of people, music, atmosphere. Check the latest protest schedules with TAT, or buy any English newspaper - they are widely available and cover the rallies at length.

Thaskin will never resign

Why are you so sure of Thaksin? He also said he'd never call a snap elections (over my dead body or something like that), and I thought he would NEVER ever invite Sondhi into the cabinet - yet here we are.

Social stability is best achieved is Thaksin resigns and PAD go home and the democratic process goes ahead - refomrs, elections, and so on.

Your whole argumentation is based on two points:

1) Thaksin must resign

2) the palace must intervene

but:

to 1) Thaksin has so far not shown any sign of impending resignation

to 2) the palace has so far ignored every single petition, and therefore has so far refused to intervene.

The PAD has not achieved even one of their self set goals. What has been achived is that Thaksin has been frightened.

This should be the best position to negotiate in earnest, work towards much necessary reforms, and stop endagering peace. One can always keep up demonstrations at a later point of time if things don't work out.

Sometimes one simply cannot get all what one wants, therefore human society has this thing called "compromise". Not willing to compromise is considered "fanatic".

Thaksin has shown recently that he is willing to compromise in certain points. The PAD hasn't.

If the PAD is not willing to move one inch, things could get ugly after the elections.

Is that what you want? Widespread violence after which the palace might have to intervene, followed by years of further social instability due to the fact that Thaksin has massive support under the population, different than any other PM before in Thailand, elected or not?

And yes, you can say whatever you want, that Thaksin is the one who will do it, that the PAD is peaceful. But it always takes two to tango. And no matter who will initiate the violence - the whole of Thailand will lose.

But i guess that is not part of your equasion - for you there is only one thing that counts: Thaksin must resign, no matter what.

You should include visiting protest site in your itinerary, seriously.

Nobody knows when, or if, violence occurs. Advising tourists without Thai language skills and/or the necessary cultural knowledge to visit, and take part in demonstrations in a country well known for occasional massacres is completely insane.

Hecklers force Thai opposition party to abandon election

boycott rally

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ A rally held by Thailand's chief

opposition party, which is boycotting a general election

this coming Sunday, was abruptly terminated minutes after

it began Thursday night when it was disrupted by supporters

of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Democrat Party leader

Abhsiit Vejjajiva was one of those on stage when his

party's outdoor rally in the northern city of Chiang Mai

was interrupted by Thaksin supporters carrying loudspeakers

and banners. About 500 Democrat Party sympathizers had been

attending the rally at Chiang Mai University while a crowd

of about 2,000 Thaksin supporters had demonstrated in the

street outside before entering rally venue, said police

Col. Prachuab Wongsuk. Democrat Party spokesman Ong-art

Klampaiboon said no one was injured in the incident.

301330 mar 06GMT

Brit...I agree.

Was in Malaysia when Suharto got bumped.... and every one said Mahatir going to disapear quickly..... not the case. Mahatir was good at making sure his cronies made some handsome cash ( read "Malaysia Inc. " ), and as such, if you want to dump him, would need to dump most of the government.

Taksin was well know to idolize Mahatir, and not sure if he can be un-seated so easy. ( but I am sure he has had his fair share of head aches of late )

1) Thaksin has so far not shown any sign of impending resignation

2) the palace has so far ignored every single petition, and therefore has so far refused to intervene.

1)Thaksin has been ceeding ground slowly but steadily. He has just offered Sondhi a post in the cabinet, and that was the last one. A week ago he visited Banharn in hospital and offered a deal where he resigns for a year or something along these lines. Do you need url?

2)Thaksin called snap elections after meetings with Prem and the King. I think they didn't talk about the weather only, if they gave their blessings, they can't call it off and intervene BEFORE the elections.

Now it's wait and see what numbers Thaksin can come up with. PAD will not stop whatever the outcome, but others will not make any decisions until the numbers are in.

It's a bit lame of you to blame breakdown in negotiations on PAD. Do you not remember how Thaksin publicly, on TV, agreed to televised debate, only to reverse the day later?

No wonder PAD and the Oppositions refused to negotiate in private. Thaksin also set out unacceptable conditions, while Surapong was saying Thaksin might not even go himself and send a representative. Isn't that disgusting? What the points he was going to compromise on? Are you dreaming? What about his secret offer to Banharn? Why didn't he talk to PAD instead? Banharn couldn't break ranks and make a decision himself.

The man's word can't be trusted, it's rather obvious by now.

>>>>>

Rallies have been going on for months without any violence. Yesterday police wasn't even visible and the atmosphere was very relaxed. Don't scare people off, you've already thrown around plenty of strong words without any basis in actual facts.

Was in Malaysia when Suharto got bumped.... and every one said Mahatir going to disapear quickly..... not the case.

Thailand is not Malaysia, and Thaksin is not Mahathir. People there were protesting mostly against Anwar's detention, not Mahathir's corruption per se. Durinng the trial people saw that Anwar was/is a homosexual, so popular support dwindled.

And Mahathir eventually resigned, of course.

If Thaksin had even 10% of Mahathir's dedication to his country we wouldn't be here discussing Shin tax free sale to Singapore. Imagine Mahathir selling Proton to Singaporeans and pocketing the money without paying any tax! You can't imagine that. He wouldn't sell them water, let along national assets.

The police are a tool of the government; at previous rallies and marches they've either been strongly represented (at Lumpini Park on more than one occasion) and at Government House OR on other occasions they simply "melt away" and there isn't a single officer to be seen for miles - such was the tactic they employed along Sukhumvit Road last Sunday.

It's almost like they were encouraging lawlessness by their absence. Fortunately anti-Thaksin protesters are a lawful bunch and their tactics failed.

And this evening pro-Thaksin supporters broke up a Democrat rally in Chiang Mai, and prevented Abhisit from speaking - so much for free speech and the Chiang Mai police looked on "helplessly" whilst all this happened.

Come on! The Chiang Mai police are one of the "hardest" constabularies/forces in the country.

Quite frankly, they don't fxxx about.

Obviously they were in total agreement with this criminal activity and probably in league with the perpetrators. Not surprising really. Shows where their sentiments truly lie!

Me also thinks there was perhaps violence associated with this incident although there appears at the moment to be some kind of news black-out.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Some Chiang Mai people say the disruption of Democrat rally "embarrassing" - The Nation -

Chiang Mai - Some Chiang Mai residents who attended the Democrat Party rally Thursday evening said they felt embarrassed that it was disrupted by supporters of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

A third-year student of Chiang Mai University's Faculty of Medicine cried over the incident.

She said she attended the rally to hear explanations of the Democrat why it would not take part in the election.

"It's barbaric act … I don't understand why police allowed this to happen," she said with tears in her eyes.

A lecturer of the university said she believed the protesters might be hired by someone. She said real Chiang Mai people would not resort to this kind of violence.

Thaksin......awk pai......

Edited by bulmercke

Yes, those lecturers from Chulalongkon University, doctors, middle-class ladies, teenagers and students really looked like they were in it for the money.

If you understand Thai and listen to the PAD rallies about 8 pm every night, Sonthi reads out the donations from the public every day, names and amounts are mentioned.

Unlike the rally at Jatujak where the pro Thaksin protestors have to sign in every day to receive their daily allowance.

Was in Malaysia when Suharto got bumped.... and every one said Mahatir going to disapear quickly..... not the case.

Thailand is not Malaysia, and Thaksin is not Mahathir. People there were protesting mostly against Anwar's detention, not Mahathir's corruption per se. Durinng the trial people saw that Anwar was/is a homosexual, so popular support dwindled.

And Mahathir eventually resigned, of course.

If Thaksin had even 10% of Mahathir's dedication to his country we wouldn't be here discussing Shin tax free sale to Singapore. Imagine Mahathir selling Proton to Singaporeans and pocketing the money without paying any tax! You can't imagine that. He wouldn't sell them water, let along national assets.

Why is it the only people left complaining about this tax issue are on TV?

Even the opposition doesn't mention it anymore because it's such a ridiculous idea.

There is no capital gains tax, and there never will be ever again regardless of who becomes the next PM. Bringing back a capital gains tax would kill foreign investment and economic growth. This is pretty basic economics.

Edited by Thaible

Yes, those lecturers from Chulalongkon University, doctors, middle-class ladies, teenagers and students really looked like they were in it for the money.

If you understand Thai and listen to the PAD rallies about 8 pm every night, Sonthi reads out the donations from the public every day, names and amounts are mentioned.

Unlike the rally at Jatujak where the pro Thaksin protestors have to sign in every day to receive their daily allowance.

post-27080-1143736610_thumb.jpg