Ricos Restaurant

pomchop

I heard a rumour that Rico is moving back to Switzerland and closing or selling Ricos?

Sure hope it's not true as I have always thought Rico ran a good place...but if it is true all the best of luck to Rico.

Your assumptions are correct. Understand establishment has been Sold. Hope who ever the new owner is keeps it going. I liked Rico's Pizza, Hamburgers, etc and good atmosphere. It was an familiar expat place to have a cold beer while in Chiang Rai city and shoot the breeze.

• Like 1

I've been to Chiang Rai 30 times+, and I'm not even sure, where it is. Perhaps, along tht street with the bars with no customers, the massage girls stuffing their faces all day, and the laundry that makes your clothes smell like cat urine. 15,000 Km is a long way to travel to pay Western prices for poor man's food.

Saw some pictures of the going away party and all I can say is, I’m glad I missed it. I don’t drink and don’t come from a pub culture, so not exactly my cup of tea.thumbsup.gif

They told me you were not invited anyway and happy that you like the photos on that website.

Saw some pictures of the going away party and all I can say is, I’m glad I missed it. I don’t drink and don’t come from a pub culture, so not exactly my cup of tea.thumbsup.gif

They told me you were not invited anyway and happy that you like the photos on that website.

You are correct on one count. I was not invited but I never said anything about liking the photos.wink.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

I've been to Chiang Rai 30 times+, and I'm not even sure, where it is. Perhaps, along tht street with the bars with no customers, the massage girls stuffing their faces all day, and the laundry that makes your clothes smell like cat urine. 15,000 Km is a long way to travel to pay Western prices for poor man's food.

ricos is/was across the street from the condotel and was more of a restaurant than a bar....he served some very good food at very low prices and was/is an extraordinary host who tried his very best to make sure that his customers left satisfied....I only wish that the restaurants I go to other places were as good service/price/quality/value for the money....hopefully the new owner will carry on.

I had been by the Beach Club; I didn't know it was called Rico's. I wouldn't pay 200K for it. The land is probably worth quite a bit.

ricos is/was across the street from the condotel and was more of a restaurant than a bar....he served some very good food at very low prices and was/is an extraordinary host who tried his very best to make sure that his customers left satisfied....I only wish that the restaurants I go to other places were as good service/price/quality/value for the money....hopefully the new owner will carry on.

I had been by the Beach Club; I didn't know it was called Rico's. I wouldn't pay 200K for it. The land is probably worth quite a bit.

The land is owned by Thais . The rent for the place I believe is about 5 or 6,000 per month , which is very reasonable . The price for the premises on the land , which includes the bar , kitchen , restaurant , wash rooms etc is about 1.5m bht Key money . If Rico was to take everything out there would only be the land on the corner . You are paying for the complete set up and continuation of Ricos bar and restaurant .

I am not sure as yet that there has been anyone to buy .

I don't recall ever seeing the customers outnumber the employees. Had mixed reviews from the one Condotel owner I know. For a million, you can get on Moon Mueng in CNX, and the foot traffic/car traffic is 10X. Good luck.

Rico has a good customer base and though I only went maybe once a week usually on a wed or Friday night he nearly always had many customers. Some sat in the bar area mostly drinking but many others sat at the tables and were more interested in eating. Bottom Line is it was one of my favorite CR restaurants and I hate to see it close. One condotel owner giving mixed reviews doesn't surprise me as I doubt you'd get everyone in CR to agree that the sun rises in the east.
  • Like 2

Rico ran a good business and was kind to his customers. We will miss him.

I agree. I particularly liked the freshly cooked pizzas and always found the food to be of good quality and very reasonably priced. If someone takes it over they will have quite a challenge to maintain the standards.

• 1 month later...

Just by way of an update, stuck my head in this evening as I saw the gate open. Apparently its still open, as it hasn't been able to be sold. The lady in charge said they are going to keep it going for a couple of years. She said things had been very quiet (maybe because everyone thinks its closed). Didn't eat there myself, but looks like they could use some customers..

Hi ctrunfree..... I don't know how often you go to Rico,s bar but Thursday nights has always been very quiet.

Tuesday and Friday are still they same as it always was very busy and many people Thai and Farang eating and having a good night.

The food is, and always was of high standed and very good value for money, With Rico on home soil I think the bar and restaurant are as normal and apart from the odd event and German night on a Wednesday there is no real change....